Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are Ibanez already on top for NAMM 2018?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Kebabkid said:
    @carlos - a grand for a guitar with a roasted neck, stainless steel frets, decent pickups, a Dyna switch offering a total of 10 useable sounds, Gotoh trem, locking tuners and a nice choice of finishes is just madness.
    And about £500/£600 used sounds even better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ibanez has put out some really great models.  I'd love to try them all, especially the Kiko model.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    edited January 2018
    Those look superb! Torn between an old school RG or the AZ premium. Really nice. Kinda wish I hadn’t opened this thread!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    edited January 2018
    Schecter have some good looking models out this year too, and I'm saying that as someone who isn't typically a fan of their guitars:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    The AZ looks great. Lots of features, a more gentle headstock design and their marketing team has done wonders with their endorsee list - Martin Miller and Tom Quayle, (both ex Suhr men), are a great catch to promote the non-metal aspect of this range whilst still showing they can shred.

Very interesting model
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited February 2018
    Looks like we won't be seeing the AZ Series in the UK shops until late March/early April although the odd one might make it through before as I saw Peach Guitars had 2 Premium HH models in (the Espresso and Tequila Sunrise finishes) and the former has gone.

I really hope these deliver, particularly at the Premium price point.

As comparisons are being regularly made to the Suhrs, can someone remind me why John Suhr discontinued the Rasmus range? They were great guitars and essentially a US Suhr and so I don't remember there being a quality issue. Was it not viable from a business point of view i.e. price-point or were people nabbing them over the full US ones? Just interested and however good these AZs are, I don't think Suhrs have too much to worry about.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    I'm sure Ibanez make some good stuff - but very little interests me... from what I've seen its just variations on a very similar theme (Shred-oriented Strat based shapes, with or without Floyds, maple or rosewood boards and varying pickups... ).

I guess I'm just not target market.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Kebabkid said:
    Looks like we won't be seeing the AZ Series in the UK shops until late March/early April although the odd one might make it through before as I saw Peach Guitars had 2 Premium HH models in (the Espresso and Tequila Sunrise finishes) and the former has gone.

I really hope these deliver, particularly at the Premium price point.

As comparisons are being regularly made to the Suhrs, can someone remind me why John Suhr discontinued the Rasmus range? They were great guitars and essentially a US Suhr and so I don't remember there being a quality issue. Was it not viable from a business point of view i.e. price-point or were people nabbing them over the full US ones? Just interested and however good these AZs are, I don't think Suhrs have too much to worry about.

It turned out to not be a viable business model for the Rasmus
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Cheers David :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31366
    impmann said:
    I'm sure Ibanez make some good stuff - but very little interests me... from what I've seen its just variations on a very similar theme (Shred-oriented Strat based shapes, with or without Floyds, maple or rosewood boards and varying pickups... ).

Oh I dunno, apart from some nice hollowbodies I've always loved these too; 

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-2018-ar720-solidbody-electric-guitar-bursted-smoky-quartz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I never buy guitars new, but the AZ is going to test my resolve. The Tequila Sunrise one at peach posted earlier is sooooooo tempting.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    p90fool said:
    impmann said:

Oh I dunno, apart from some nice hollowbodies I've always loved these too; 

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-2018-ar720-solidbody-electric-guitar-bursted-smoky-quartz
    Nice, yes. But ultimately, unless you swap pickups they are pretty characterless. All I've played so far seem to have railroad tracks for frets too.

Yes the old Artist models were nice, but again... they make a big song and dance about the pickups but they are pretty dark and overwound. Great if you live in 1981, with low gain amps that you want to pulverise the input stage of... but crap for delicate stuff. I'm a big XTC/Andy Partridge fan and he's always used these - but tbh, when I tried one, I found it a bit... dull, frankly.

Like I say, they are well made but my experience so far means I'm not a fan. And I stand by what I said - all the *new* stuff from them is VERY similar and I'm probably not target market for them.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.