Lazy J40 brand new but no sound

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Had my J20 since 2012 and it’s performed flawlessly for a bit of balance...
    Mine too. I hope I'm not tempting fate but I have had mine for around that time too :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Had my J20 since 2012 and it’s performed flawlessly for a bit of balance...
    Mine too. I hope I'm not tempting fate but I have had mine for around that time too :)
    Please don’t think I was being negative about the build quality of the J20 I worked on in my last post, not at all, but the separate modules would be particularly susceptible to damage if banged around in transit (particularly long distance) simply because so much discrete circuitry is packed into them, and especially if they were left screwed onto the inside of the cab rather than packed separately.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    The bottom line is that couriers can break anything almost irrespective of build quality.

You should see the 70s Fender Bassman 100 I recently assessed after being imported from the US...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    I sold a synth module to Australia once - shipped out in perfect condition and very solidly packed. When it got to the other end, it looked like someone had dropped something weighing several tonnes on it - a perfect, clean 3" triangular cut out from the middle of the front edge all the way through the chassis and internals - thankfully it was insured and amazingly it was repairable
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    edited January 2018
    I recently shipped a Mesa rackmount preamp to the Netherlands, well packed - but when it arrived it had clearly been opened, the unit taken apart, one preamp valve taken out deliberately and left loose inside (they cannot fall out of the holders even if the box was dropped, they're very tight and actually difficult to remove on purpose), reassembled, then repacked very badly and sent on to the recipient.

This is not the first time I've seen this either - a friend of mine bought an amp from France, and when it arrived all the valves were smashed and there was glass from them inside the closed space between the speaker and the grille cloth where it could not possibly have got with the speaker in place.

The Fender Bassman I mentioned had been dropped from enough of a height that the power transformer had bent the floor of the chassis down by about 3/4", pulled the end rail up by about 1/4", and it had popped one of the OT bolts out of the chassis entirely.

This is why I do not ship amps, as a rule... I thought a rack preamp would at least be fairly immune, but I was wrong there too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    lukedlb said:
    Part 2 postponed until Saturday. 

What time?

FFS this is agony. Like waiting for the next Game of Thrones. 

What's wrong with this damn thing? Why is there no sound? And who's to blame? Can a drummer safely operate an amp? So many unanswered questions 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Tune in to next week's episode of "Why the fuck is a drummer using an amp?"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Update: Jesse spent a good couple of hours talking my mate through testing every single component on the amp, explaining what every part does and how to measure, basically every amateur amp builder's dream of amp instruction. Nothing. Everything reads correctly, even the rectifier substitution did nothing to rectify (sorry) the situation.
    At a loss to explain what was the defect, Jesse suggested trying the old battery to the speaker trick. For a brief moment there was sound and then nothing. It looks like a defective speaker. Jesse is sending a replacement in the post.
    My mate is thoroughly impressed by Jesse, the work gone into the amp, and his availability to fix the amp on the other side of the world.

A Lazy Jesse he ain't.

Tune in for the next installment when a Drummer mounts a speaker.
    So does that mean the amp has been running against an open circuit then? :-/
    SunDevil said:
    I hope not. I mean, the electric signal is going somewhere but isn't being dissipated by speaker movement.
    edited January 2018
    lukedlb said:

At a loss to explain what was the defect, Jesse suggested trying the old battery to the speaker trick. For a brief moment there was sound and then nothing. It looks like a defective speaker. Jesse is sending a replacement in the post.
    More likely it's not 'defective' but the amp has been dropped heavily in shipping, the magnet has shifted or bent the frame slightly, and either trapped the voice coil in the magnet gap or broken one of the wires. This is fairly common, the magnet is heavy enough that its own inertia can do that almost no matter how well-packed the amp is.

On the other hand if it's a UK-made Celestion it *could* be a manufacturing fault - I have come across that too, on one. (But never on a Chinese one...!)

The good news is that shipping a speaker separately in its box is actually less risky for it, since the frame isn't bolted to anything solid and so the magnet doesn't stress it if it gets dropped.

SunDevil said:
    Maybe, but it isn't an issue with a good-quality transformer unless the amp was really cranked, and even then they will usually survive.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    SunDevil said:
    We don’t know that.

It could be that the spider has come unglued and the voice coil lifted out of the magnet - quite common shipping damage. There could still be a full load on the amp.

In fact even if there wasn’t a speaker load, the resistance of the OT windings themselves still acts as a load (albeit very small) which in a properly designed TX is enough to let the amp idle for a good few hours. The Mojo TXs in Lazy Js are built by Heyboer, so are well engineered and proving the user didn’t run the amp at full crank for ages with a signal, they will be fine.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

edited January 2018
    Thanks gents,

So the OT should survive regardless

If the OP's drummer takes a resistance reading across the speaker at the jack, that'd say for sure if there was a load?
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    lukedlb said:

At a loss to explain what was the defect, Jesse suggested trying the old battery to the speaker trick. For a brief moment there was sound and then nothing.

That's right though isn't it? With DC the speaker will make a short noise while the cone moves, then stay silent with the cone in the new position.

Or do you mean that the speaker did that once then stopped?

martinw said:
    lukedlb said:

At a loss to explain what was the defect, Jesse suggested trying the old battery to the speaker trick. For a brief moment there was sound and then nothing.

That's right though isn't it? With DC the speaker will make a short noise while the cone moves, then stay silent with the cone in the new position.

once then stopped. they tried it again and whatever shifted before was well and truly stuck.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    lukedlb said:
    martinw said:
    lukedlb said:

once then stopped. they tried it again and whatever shifted before was well and truly stuck.

Ah ok. :(

It is a Fane A60. 
    edited January 2018
    I'd be tempted to wire the speaker to another sound source to be 100% 

Or borrow another cabinet to attach to the amp

Failing that, he might be able to get an A60 more locally in Oz - they are sold under the brand name 'Fane' - only difference being the upwards inflection on the 'e' rather than a more guttural, Sean Bean-like Yorkshire word ending in a soft 'n' :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The new Fane arrived despatched and paid for by Jesse. Half way across the world. You can't ask for better customer support. My mate installed the replacement speaker, rehoused the reverb unit and.....
    It works gloriously.
    On all accounts a very satisfying result and a demonstration that you were all right about Jesse's fantastic customer support.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    Glad your mate got a good result.

Does the speake cone move on the opposite direction in Oz? ;-)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom