Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Modewheel - a reference tool I came up with

What's Hot
LeeCassidyLeeCassidy Frets: 54
edited January 2018 in Theory
Some guys might find this useful. It's a tool that shows you the notes of any given mode in any given key. Pretty self explanatory once you see it; rotate the wheel so the mode you want is beneath the notes you want to start in. Only the notes of that mode in that key are revealed.

Modewheel

There's also a beta app on the Android Play Store, but the web version runs better at the moment. 

Hope it's useful for some.
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like it! Very handy. It might be useful to have the scale steps on there too, but that seems like it would be tricky to add. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for taking a look. 

The only way to do something like that will make it more visually cluttered, and I like the idea of this being kept simple. But I do appreciate the suggestion, and you looking.
  • Updated the ui for this. Maths is not my strong point. I wasn't aware of the arctan function. Anyway, using it, it now behaves much more intuitively.
  • I like it. A very neat and clear way if showing the relations of the notes and the modes.
    It's not a competition.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    I just edited your original post to make the link clickable.  Just for the lazy people (like me).

Thanks for sharing.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    The link isn't working for me I'm afraid....
  • I like it. A very neat and clear way if showing the relations of the notes and the modes.
    Thanks for looking. It was originally intended to go with a theory course I've written and demonstrate the interconnected nature of the modes, but I think it's useful enough on its own. Glad that comes across. 

TTony said:
    I just edited your original post to make the link clickable.  Just for the lazy people (like me).

Thanks for sharing.
    Not sure why it didn't parse when I wrote the post. Don't want to seem ungrateful, but the link hasn't formatted correctly. It's now appending a link to the comment url on to it.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    LeeCassidy said:

Don't want to seem ungrateful, but the link hasn't formatted correctly. It's now appending a link to the comment url on to it.
    Not ungrateful at all - apologies for the link not working.  

Now fixed.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Great stuff, cheers.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I think it's a funky visualisation! :) @Sporky Is this like the thing with the moschi monsters from your cello lessons?
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Or was that cycle of fifths?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    DLM said:
    I think it's a funky visualisation! :) @Sporky Is this like the thing with the moschi monsters from your cello lessons?
    It is pretty much the same thing. I think the monsters may be better for teaching the basics but this is an excellent quick reference.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Cool, thanks!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Looks good but I don't get modes and I certainly don't know where the notes are on a fretboard
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Looks good but I don't get modes and I certainly don't know where the notes are on a fretboard
    Well, it's that sort of expert analysis you just can't buy!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    It doesn't work with my PCs IE11 - should it, or is javascript not compatible?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    It doesn't work with my PCs IE11 - should it, or is javascript not compatible?
    Taking a look, the JS produces a bug in IE <=11 that stops it working. When I next work on it, I'll see if I can fix it, but I'm not sure when that'll be. All I can suggest is trying another browser. Sorry, I know that's not ideal, but this was mostly just a proof of concept and me having a go at writing JS for Android. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    That’s OK, was just letting you know. I’ve had a look using my phone and it looks pretty good!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    It works very well on my computer.  Nice and slick, well done.  My problem is that I don't understand what it shows.  Not your fault of course....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Awesome! I'll try the app out too.