I had one of those moments again..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    lonestar said:
    TTBZ said:
    Maybe a modeller would be better than a low wattage valve amp? I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to have to do the same if I quit my band! Even 20w valve is too much for playing at home imo, I never get to use mine. In fact even 1w might be too loud for at home.
    I shouldn’t say this... but I don’t want modelling. The Lonestar I had switched down to 10 watts and sounded insanely good at lower volumes. 
    This. The power is irrelevant, it's how well the master volume works at the lower end of the taper that matters. [/stuck record]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Another stuck record here - if you want something similar to the Lonestar but with a Marshall vibe and a very very good MV then try a Stiletto Ace..
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    I think this thread influenced me this weekend to find something that gave me authentic, Marshally tones.

Turns out it was my old Marshall. 

I've not really used the old JCM900 for a long time, but going back to it was a nice surprise.  It has a good master so is tameable at home, not even bothering with the half-power (25W) switch.

Maybe my hearing's got worse, or it's down to recently moving to a much bigger house, but my old memory of it being 'too loud' didn't seem to stack up.

It's still too heavy though, if anything it's got heavier I swear.  That was the overriding reason I stopped using it, and is still the reason it's relegated to looking pretty in the dining room.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    My jcm900 slx has a good master volume, I can play at 1.5 quite easily without it being too loud in the house and it sounds good as well. I don't bother switching to 25w.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Not sure if it helps, but I bought a 50w plexi head when it was 10 years old. I loved the sound despite the limitations. For the next 40 years people told me to sell it and buy 'insert latest trendy amp' which was what I needed. Well I'm glad I stuck to the basic simple buy beautiful amp all these years, as a foundation for many other tones it is fantastic. It currently runs through a 1 x 10" cab with the volume on 2 for most gig situations. I could never find or afford another like this if I ever parted with it. I do have other amps to gig with and a small combo in the house and for rehearsals. Think about spending £100+ on a S/H combo for use and keep the amp, it will make you smile from time to time for a long time.

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Well... here’s an update..

I listed the amp in two places. It received a MASSIVE amount of interest in one place (no actual enquiries though) and virtually nothing in the other place.

I made a deal with myself not to push the amp on anyone or bump it once listed. So, based on this I’ve decided that it’ll move into the new workshop next week (hopefully) and I’ll enjoy it rather than overthinking it. 

Im happily considering it as an investment too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom