What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    edited January 2018
    Arrival

Interesting and quite original - although I did think there were some parallels with Interstellar, it was better realised and more believable.

I think I need to watch it again, and that it will stand a repeat viewing without spoiling it...

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought arrival was great. Not what I expected though I hadn’t seen any trailers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Watched Logan last night, I really liked it.  First wolverine film was rubbish, second was quite good, this one was better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Get Out.

My sons love this film so I’ve had a fair share of spoilers before I got to it. I won’t do that to anyone else but a wonderfully made - tense but still with some humour and lots of thought through detail.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22715
    Get Out.

My sons love this film so I’ve had a fair share of spoilers before I got to it. I won’t do that to anyone else but a wonderfully made - tense but still with some humour and lots of thought through detail.
    Thanks for mentioning that, I've been meaning to watch it for ages... and now I have.

I'd successfully avoided spoilers although I knew the basic setup... and it wasn't quite what I imagined.  There were parts in the middle of the film where it was losing me a little, but ultimately I liked it.  I think I'd like it more on a second viewing.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The Shape of Water

I watched this on Friday. It is still on my mind.

9.5 out of 10.
    No.....higher than that .

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Logan, not really my thing, bit I really enjoyed it, fight sequences were well choreographed.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
    Superbly told story of grief, prejudice, frustration, despair and revenge.  Obvious Fargo DNA in its style and dialogue.  Frances Mcdormand is an actress that I have respected for many years for various other roles, but this might be her best performance yet.  Sam Rockwell is on absolute top form too.
    Great movie, didn't meander or drag on at any point, constantly had you asking questions of the morality of the situation, wondering where it would lead.
    9/10
  • sinbaadi said:
    Superbly told story of grief, prejudice, frustration, despair and revenge.  Obvious Fargo DNA in its style and dialogue.  Frances Mcdormand is an actress that I have respected for many years for various other roles, but this might be her best performance yet.  Sam Rockwell is on absolute top form too.
    Great movie, didn't meander or drag on at any point, constantly had you asking questions of the morality of the situation, wondering where it would lead.
    9/10
    Fantastic movie, without a doubt. 

If you're Frances fan- I can recommend "Maudie" from recent ones.
    sinbaadi said:
    9/10
    Fantastic movie, without a doubt. 

If you're Frances fan- I can recommend "Maudie" from recent ones.
    Three Billboards, Cracking film!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Philly_Q said:
    Get Out.

Thanks for mentioning that, I've been meaning to watch it for ages... and now I have.

I'd successfully avoided spoilers although I knew the basic setup... and it wasn't quite what I imagined.  There were parts in the middle of the film where it was losing me a little, but ultimately I liked it.  I think I'd like it more on a second viewing.
    I have watched it twice now ( 99p for 48 hours rental, so getting my money’s worth!). As it’s essentially a thriller then all the surprises are gone but there is a lot of detail you might miss and different ways to interpret some of it once you know what happens. It does hilight some of the less probable bits but that’s true of a lot of films on repeated viewing. I was also a bit more aware of the acting performances, Betty Garbriel as Georgina in particular. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle

Really enjoyed it - some good humour and great performances from The Rock and Jack Black. 8/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Locke. Tom Hardy on the phone in his car. As the film progresses we gradually learn about his life and how things are generally falling apart as he attempts to ‘do the right thing’. Interesting rather than great, but certainly watchable.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22715

Life 

I've seen reviews dismissing it as a throwaway Alien rip-off, but it has a very different atmosphere and I think it's actually rather good, with decent performances and some excellent, but restrained, special effects work. 

Plot-wise it's actually very similar to a low-budget effort called The Last Days On Mars, with Liev Schreiber.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri.

Go and see this film.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    HAL9000 said:
    Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri.

Go and see this film.
    Booked for Friday.
    Darkest Hour - Outstanding!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri. Moving, sad, funny, thought provoking. Well acted. Great film.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    The Shape of Water, not what you expect and  I really liked it, nice to see something different than the endless superhero remakes. 

Nice to see the love for Three Billboards, cracking film 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    We were in the mood for something really silly and light hearted last night after a rough few days - found ‘Daddy’s Home’ on Netflix. 

Really stupid but gave me a good chuckle! 8/10 for what it is.