Solo of the Month (SotM) #32

What's Hot

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    It would be good if we can use Sotm as a way of sharing ideas and learning from each other.

Wanting to learn through these types of challenges is the reason I joined this forum.

I've always played in covers bands and if forced to play my own a solo I just end up working on a framework by jamming over a loop in private. Most of the no idea about modes or visualising chords.  I just try stuff out and see what sounds okay. I'd love to learn a more efficient way!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    edited January 2018
    @stratman3142  I think posting entries as they are submitted keeps the thread alive and in my case, reminds me to get on with it and enter. 

It does provide the opportunity to listen, discuss and learn from each other too. I'd also find that useful.

My vote is for option 1

As the competition element is just for fun, the real value for me  is on having other people listen to and comment on what you submit. 
  • I'm OK with either choice, post now as they come in or all at once at a set date.  I can see the merit in posting as they come though, especially when we comment on how and why we played what we entered.  To that point, I know a lot about scales/theory but often fall back on "if it sounds right, it is right".  Quite often when I'm confronted with playing a solo over a piece of music I will just go for it with whatever pops into my head, if it sounds like it's going to work I persue it, if after a few attempts I'm floundering I research the theory and find out what's going on.  I usually hit paydirt with the first option about 75% of the time and sometimes discover that the key I chose shouldn't work according theory.(and maybe they don't and everyone is just being nice about it......)

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    My duty is done.

Rough but done.

Analysis!?!
    Er it looks like I'm using E mixolydian and E minor pentatonic is a weird call and response thing.  Switching to mostly chord tones for the 'chorus' with a bit of chromatics thrown in for a laugh. But that's all after the fact. My aim was to make something weird enough to suit the backing - if you laugh my work is done. 

@stratman3142 ; I have no opinion on the on the post now/post later debate. Maybe slightly edging toward post now.
    Also, I have submitted as a .wav. I have always got away with this so far but let me know if it is a problem.
  • Veganic said:

@stratman3142 ; I have no opinion on the on the post now/post later debate. Maybe slightly edging toward post now.
    Also, I have submitted as a .wav. I have always got away with this so far but let me know if it is a problem.

No problem.

I'll render it as an mp3 using a high quality setting (320kbps) if that's OK, just to make it consistent with the others and to reduce the file size slightly for the uploads to Soundcloud.

So that makes 9 entries so far.

It's not a competition.
    edited January 2018
    Thanks. I can convert it myself but it's not easy on my phone.  Wavs seem ok for Soundcloud so I assumed it would be ok as is.  I wouldn't worry about losing any of the nuanced hi-fi qualities cos there aren't any.

Edit: and the title should be sketch not shetch. Oops
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    Sent mine too. 
  • That makes 10, so we're into double figures :)
    Keep them coming.
    It's not a competition.
    For what it's worth, I think upload them as you get them too.
  • Some good points made in this thread so I now think you should go ahead and upload them.  Like you and some others say, we can discuss and learn from each other.
  • OK. It seems like the general consensus is to post Sotm as we go, so I'll try to upload them shortly. 

Remember, the voting will occur after the submission deadline, which is 11:30pm on 24th January 2018. So there will be the opportunity to discuss what you like about the various entries on a new thread during the voting.

On this thread, it would be good if we could keep the focus on approaches used for the solo and learning, keeping things positive and constructive.

Feel free to submit another entry if you want to, based on what you might learn.

I'm assuming this is OK with @TTony, as co-runner of the challenge.

For the other challenges (BotM, Rotm, RRotm and Composition Challenge) I'll wait until after the submission deadlines.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The entries so far are now available to listen to at the end of the original post in this thread.

It's not a competition.
    edited January 2018
    I was just re-doing mine with a cleaner tone and hopefully slightly cleaner playing.

Oh well.  Here it is anyway if anyone wants to compare and contrast

Edit: nothing to see here :)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2018
    @Veganic send me you latest solo and I'll add it to the entries in the original post.

Do you want to submit this as a second entry or use it to replace the first?

It's not a competition.
    edited January 2018
    @stratman3142 ;;; I guess I should replace the one already done. I know it won't make any difference but the new one is slightly more 'cat like'

I'll get it sent then leave it up to you.

Edit: converted to mp3 and sent.

Much appreciated.
  • Veganic said:
    @stratman3142 ;;; I guess I should replace the one already done. I know it won't make any difference but the new one is slightly more 'cat like'

I'll get it sent then leave it up to you.

Edit: converted to mp3 and sent.

Much appreciated.

OK, I've added your new solo as number 11 in the list, and removed the previous solo which was number 9.

It's not a competition.
  • I just sent in a new entry, this time I went with the E scale throughout, still playing the Mustang with no pick but using an octave divider and lots of reverb.  I think this one fits the backing track better.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• I just sent in a new entry, this time I went with the E scale throughout, still playing the Mustang with no pick but using an octave divider and lots of reverb.  I think this one fits the backing track better.  
    Ok. I'll replace your previous entry, unless you let me know that you want to keep both entries.
    It's not a competition.
    Ok. I'll replace your previous entry, unless you let me know that you want to keep both entries.
    Sorry, I thought about instructing you to replace it but forgot to type it in.   Just the new one is all I want, thanks.

edited January 2018
    Anyone else like to post their approach to the solo?
    I went for two differing approaches, 1st half aiming to be melodic with intervals and chords, the 2nd half taking on a more conventional solo approach.

For the E7 vamp, a couple of phrases with E major Pentatonic going to descending 6ths then ascending quartal voicings in E Mixolydian. The next section following the chords with drop 2 voicings.

For the second E7 vamp, thinking of Em/minor 6 Pentatonic with a mix of the b3 and 3. At the end, I go to Fm Pentatonic resolving to Em Pentatonic finishing with alternating E and Bb triads. This leads to the next section where I'm trying to smoothly connect the chords using G lydian, F Lydian and C#m Pentatonic.