Inspiration vs plaigiarism

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I think my next open mic mash up will be all 3 of them together mixed up, I wonder how many will notice 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    You could also do a mash up of oasis's morning glory, rem's the one I love and puddle of mudd's never change...
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Or you could just do the Axis of Awesome's 4 chord song 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    If you take say 50 chords, there are only so many combinations of those chords.  A very significant number of those combinations will be, shall we say, unmusical.  The rest work together to a varying degree, some better than others.  And some exceptionally well: the cliched C, A minor, G, F come to mind.  Not to mention the I, VI & V chords.  So there is no way that anyone can claim that a chord sequence can be copyrighted thus actionable in the case of another using that same chord sequence.  Even if it is more or less exactly the same.

Can drum beats and patterns be copyrighted?  Or bass runs?  I can't imagine that would be possible.  Like it or not, one band influences others.

Plagiarism?  No, I only copied it from a book...... 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    NelsonP said:
    Oh, I just saw that Radiohead aren't suing Lana del Rey now.
    They are just asking to be credited with it and for the royalties to be shared.
    Just like the deal that they have with the Hollies.

...in case anyone actually still cares
    They are both equally dreary and dull so I guess that is fair. 
  • spark240 said:
    Ask Ed Sheeran .....all his songs are essentially other peoples chords with his melody.
    Exactly, I think he's being sued for the 3rd time for plaigarism.

It's a thin line between the two. Personally I've found trying to write original material is a minefield. A piece I wrote recently sounded great until I listened to "Hold on you" sung by Jeff Bridges. Oh well, 
    "Pick your noses up!"