What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• This is the period where the weather is crap and many of the films in the cinema are fab.

So far in 2018...
    • Paddington 2, charming entertainment
    • Pitch Perfect 3 - one remake too far
    • Molly’s Game - gripping story to the end
    • The Florida Project - beautiful & uncomfortable at the same time

Booked for this week...

• The Darkest Hour
    • Three Billboards...
    • Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool
    Can't wait!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Philly_Q said:
    Get Out.

My sons love this film so I’ve had a fair share of spoilers before I got to it. I won’t do that to anyone else but a wonderfully made - tense but still with some humour and lots of thought through detail.
    Thanks for mentioning that, I've been meaning to watch it for ages... and now I have.

I'd successfully avoided spoilers although I knew the basic setup... and it wasn't quite what I imagined.  There were parts in the middle of the film where it was losing me a little, but ultimately I liked it.  I think I'd like it more on a second viewing.
    Watched this following your recommendations, really enjoyed it very different film.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    2 on Netflix - The Infinity Chamber,  and Coherence. Both were good watchable fun films. Infinity Chamber had the annoying full explanation towards the end, in case you (Americans) don't like films where not everything is explained.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • This is the period where the weather is crap and many of the films in the cinema are fab.

So far in 2018...
    • Paddington 2, charming entertainment
    • Pitch Perfect 3 - one remake too far
    • Molly’s Game - gripping story to the end
    • The Florida Project - beautiful & uncomfortable at the same time

Booked for this week...

• The Darkest Hour
    • Three Billboards...
    • Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool
    Can't wait!

That is a decent list, not sure how pitch perfect made it though  ;-)

Three Billboards is great movie, Well recommended.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    The Hitman’s Bodyguard

Perfect for a plane journey. Ryan Reynolds and Sam L Jackson basically bringing exactly what you’d expect. Good fun
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    The Grey. On tv the other night, seen it a few times. Liam Neeson does a great turn in it. Type of film I hope me and my boy can enjoy together when he's old enough. Along with Marathon Man, Once upon a time in the West, Papillon, The Graduate, etc.....

Also watched The Flight with Denzel Washington. Probably the best film I've seen that depicts the breakdown of someone not dealing with their alcohol addiction. Thought Denzel was superb.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

"Mister John" on iPlayer.

Worth watching for the scene where Claire Keelan admits to having sex with another bloke, and wriggles out of her pants. I nearly had to reach for the tissues, and probably would have but for the wife sat on the next sofa.

Rest of it was kind of OK.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Mudbound

Deals with the issue of 2 returning WW2 veterans, one a black farm hand who served in a tank and the other, white  in the air force. Then they return home to Mississippi. 

Really good, if quite long film, recommended 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Three Billboards - Utterly brilliant film 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

'Their Finest Hour'. Totally far-fetched Hollywood nonsense which denigrated the heroic efforts of the brave chaps that the film was based upon. Dreadful.

Holliday Granger, though. Oh, matron!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Contact 

Been on the watch list forever but never got to it. Really enjoyable with some serious questions about science and faith.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Also, now watched all MCU films up to and including Spiderman homecoming. Thor ragnorok is next. Captain America civil war was my fave so far
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670

'Their Finest Hour'. Totally far-fetched Hollywood nonsense which denigrated the heroic efforts of the brave chaps that the film was based upon. Dreadful.

Holliday Granger, though. Oh, matron!

She is beautiful, look out for her next in the next Strike adaptation on BBC1
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Ladies In Lavender - quaint period drama with Maggie Smith, Judi Dench and Miriam Margolyes. Written and directed by (but not featuring) Charles Dance.

The three main actresses are unsurprisingly brilliant, and both emotive and funny. The supporting characters aren't bad either, but although it's well-made the direction seemed a little flat and film-making-by-numbers - the plot isn't immensely exciting and there are no real surprises, other that it all turns out quite nice again.

Not bad, but Dance is probably a better actor than director.

7/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Three Billboards... There's a consensus building hereabouts - great movie that takes a lot of unexpected turns and doesn't go for easy feel-good moments. The dark comedy was superb - the whole audience squeamed at one point (y'all know which one I'm talking about). 9/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    goldtop said:
    Three Billboards... There's a consensus building hereabouts - great movie that takes a lot of unexpected turns and doesn't go for easy feel-good moments. The dark comedy was superb - the whole audience squeamed at one point (y'all know which one I'm talking about). 9/10
    I'm going to have to see it, aren't I?  I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out.

I would have watched it at the London Film Festival last year, but it was the closing night gala which meant tickets were £40 each...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    The Last Jedi.

There is an entire Discussion about it on here I can now read. Woohoo! 
    It works as a Star Wars film,  I guess ( MrsTheWeary is the SW fan in the family) whereas taken out of the context of the franchise it’s not a great film unless you like things that go whizz bang. Some nice moments and it does make me want to visit Ireland. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Darkest Hour,  no idea how historically arcuate it might be but darn good film.  Gary Oldman is superb as Churchill.  

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    edited January 2018
    I don't quite get this thread.  I don't think anyone truly cares what film someone else has watched.  It's just a list of films really isn't it ?

FWIW - not that anyone gives two hoots, I just watched Dunkirk - the one with Kenny Branagh.  The film was great but the music was better.  The haunting ultra slowed down of version of Elgar's Nimrod was quite moving.  But, nobody's really reading this are they ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Emp_Fab said:
    I don't quite get this thread.  I don't think anyone truly cares what film someone else has watched.  It's just a list of films really isn't it ?
    You might as well say why should anyone be interested in someone else's opinion about anything.  In which case why bother with the whole forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom