Starting on Keyboards

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Bought the missus a keyboard for Christmas, so will investigate these links for her. Nice one guys. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Agree with @Bod about Michael New, he is probably the best music theory teacher for beginners / intermediate on YouTube. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    edited January 2018

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4974
    Thanks for the Michael New links guys. I too am learning to read the dots via a keyboard, no harm in learning something about the piano and playing chords/songs on it. As a guitar/bass player (???) I found that my left hand is better at learning chord shapes than my right. Also that my basic keyboard is poor, play any chord with both left and right hands and the sound is awful. Need a new keyboard, thinking of a Yamaha Piaggero NP32, one I tried in a shop in Dublin recently. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
    Rocker said:
    Thanks for the Michael New links guys. I too am learning to read the dots via a keyboard, no harm in learning something about the piano and playing chords/songs on it. As a guitar/bass player (???) I found that my left hand is better at learning chord shapes than my right. Also that my basic keyboard is poor, play any chord with both left and right hands and the sound is awful. Need a new keyboard, thinking of a Yamaha Piaggero NP32, one I tried in a shop in Dublin recently. 
    I bought my wife a Yamaha NP12 through the classifieds here, they’re really good for the money and she’s been very happy with it. I guess the NP32 should be good as well and will have more features.  
    She tried the Pianote program but struggled with it because it went too fast. She’s had one to one lessons in the past so knows her way round a keyboard (well, in theory) but hadn’t played for a very long time so is very rusty. I’ve told her about the Michael New lessons, will see if it works any better for her. 
  • Rocker said:
    I learned "organ" in my teens, so Im naturally a left had chord, right hand melody man.  I taught my right hand chords fairly easily later, but I still struggle with left hand melodies.  This is my new goal - learn boogie woogie by retirement (I have 17 years so should be achievable).

Im looking for a weighted keyboard as my board is a 61 note synth action workstation - however much like my guitars, I seem not to be happy without a really nice one.  About to pull the trigger (unless I come up with something else) on a £2000 Roland....

• RockerRocker Frets: 4974
    A problem I have is an inability to play rhythm on the keyboard.  So far I have not found a good instructional website, one that actually shows basic rhythms.  For songs like country, country rock. ballads etc.  Think Eagles and you are in the ballpark.  If anyone can help please.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum