Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
edited September 2018 in FX
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-line-6-hx-effects-multieffect.1904280/

Nice and compact! 

I wasn’t sold on the Helix effects but I can see this being popular. 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Sssh. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    If it's real sign me up.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    More info ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited January 2018
    Loops? What a time to be alive for a guitar player.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited January 2018
    WANT

Looks spot on. If there’s nothing outrageous in the spec and it’s not obscenely expensive then you’ll likely see my pedal collection on the forum classifieds very shortly...

Edit: would $600 put it at £550ish?? That is a lot...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    But is the Whammy model still shite? (assuming it's available with an exp pedal, obviously)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WANT

Looks spot on. If there’s nothing outrageous in the spec and it’s not obscenely expensive then you’ll likely see my pedal collection on the forum classifieds very shortly...

It is and it isn't. 
    It's no more expensive than a h9. 

However... I don't think the effects are good enough personally. That could change in time though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    WANT

The LT seems to be $999 in the US, so considering the LT can be had for under £700 here, I have higher hopes of £400 - £450.
  • The full fat Helix is fantastic in terms of form and function, and the M series was beautifully intuitive. This looks like an awesome combination of both. If I ever ditch my Helix and go back to the traditional setup I'll be having one of these.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited January 2018
    WANT

It is and it isn't. 
    It's no more expensive than a h9. 

However... I don't think the effects are good enough personally. That could change in time though
    Interesting that you don't consider the effects up to much. I came to the conclusion that I'd been far too arsey in the past about having an effect that was 'good enough'. I miss my M9 and having a cheapo Zoom Multistomp recently put my snobbery in ts place. I'll be keeping my Timmy and El Capistan, but everything else is on the block once I've have a chance to play them side by side...

Edit: and the H9 has never even crossed my consciousness as a possible purchase, solely because of the price!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Does it have loops like the Boss MS3?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Id be very surprised if this didn't have some midi capability and pre/post for 4CM.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    The idea of a Helix FX/ Helix level replacement for the M series got mooted about five minutes after the original Helix was released. Be interesting to see and I’m already looking forward to the Headrush equivalent at NAMM 2019. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    edited January 2018
    Pretty stoked about this one - I loved my Helix but because I basically use one amp sound 99% of the time it always felt like overkill. Similarly, there were some effects that it didn't have, and I felt a bit silly having the Helix plus one or two stomps for a simple home-rig!

Given the updates and additions to the HX firmware since I sold mine, I could quite happily go down to this unit plus an expression pedal and an amp, and be incredibly content. 

*edit* If it's got power out/daisy-chaining then that would be even more amazing...

*edit2* Presumably we'll see an HX Amps unit at some point too, if not an actual Line 6 amp with HX modelling inside
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    The idea of a Helix FX/ Helix level replacement for the M series got mooted about five minutes after the original Helix was released. Be interesting to see and I’m already looking forward to the Headrush equivalent at NAMM 2019. 
    Is headrush still a thing? Thought it had sunk without trace, it's hardly ever mentioned.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I don’t think £550 is overly expansive when compared to single units like the timeline at £430, or the 1-effect-at-a-time H9, which costs more.

Also note new reverbs are due any time soon which could bring the overall average effect quality up a step also.
  • Are the helix effects top notch?

I bagged a M9 a couple of years back and thought the effects were a bit naff so sold it on quickly 

I had several of the tone core series pedals and the echo park and verbzilla were great. The M9 delays and verbs were naff. 

Is the Axe fx version a better option?

I bagged a M9 a couple of years back and thought the effects were a bit naff so sold it on quickly 

I had several of the tone core series pedals and the echo park and verbzilla were great. The M9 delays and verbs were naff. 

What are your needs? I’ve got an Axe FX2 and the Helix plugin.

For me the delays are great on both.

Currently the reverbs are stronger on Fractal but the L6 stuff is usable.

I’m not much a user of modulation so I’m not your guy for answering that.

I prefer almost all distortion and overdrive from Fractal, the fuzzes seem ok on both though I don’t use them much. The only exception is bass sounds - better range on the L6 and it sounds good too.

The FX8 has some routing limitations compared to a Helix though it’s not clear what the routing capabilities of the new L6 effects unit will be.

All IMO YMMV etc
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    Is headrush still a thing? Thought it had sunk without trace, it's hardly ever mentioned.
    They still seem to exist, although they don't seem to get much mention on here. I think the idea was that Headrush would be a line of products and not just the one big box so a Headrush FX seems possible. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

What are your needs? I’ve got an Axe FX2 and the Helix plugin.

For me the delays are great on both.

Currently the reverbs are stronger on Fractal but the L6 stuff is usable.

I’m not much a user of modulation so I’m not your guy for answering that.

I prefer almost all distortion and overdrive from Fractal, the fuzzes seem ok on both though I don’t use them much. The only exception is bass sounds - better range on the L6 and it sounds good too.

The FX8 has some routing limitations compared to a Helix though it’s not clear what the routing capabilities of the new L6 effects unit will be.

All IMO YMMV etc

I just use delays and verbs really but need to be quality fx. I just use the other effects ever now and then for ideas