Oil City Pickups ... at last I can talk about this!

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10227
edited January 2018 in Made in the UK tFB Trader

I'm at last able to reveal my Involvement with this beast ... 

I have been working with Mark at Stonewolf guitars to develop new and totally unique pickups for his amazing instruments ... including the worlds first transparent bobbin  7 string pickup ... The Blackwolf 7 ... as seen here.

The 'black' bands separating the areas of hardwood are actually clear resin ... so when this beauty is backlit it looks stunning.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    Nice!!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10227
    tFB Trader
    I have had this beast in my hands ... believe me, it's awesomeness extends to how ergonomically nice it is to handle. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    it looks stunning, obviously.  If it plays half as good as it looks ...

Hows it constructed (looks complex) and what are the materials?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    Let me quote Mark on this:

To kick off 2018, we have a new Syrtis build for you! This one really shows off the potential of the resin channel body construction.

We had a small block of Buckeye Burl, that usually would have been far too small to use for a guitar, however, with the resin channel body, we can adjust the orientation of the channels to accommodate for the size of the available wood. It gives an interesting design and illustrates how versatile the resin channel can be.

For the centre section, we used a Walnut laminate with an Ebony top. The contrast with the Buckeye wings makes for a very striking aesthetic. The neck is made from highly figured Poisonwood with a Purpleheart Middle layer and a Pale Moon Ebony fretboard.

The build has ABM® bridge saddles and Schaller® M6 Locking tuners. As a centrepiece we have a set of custom built Oil City Pickups®. These were fully customised for this build, featuring completely transparent bobbins! They sounds incredible and really set the build off beautifully!

To sum up his method ... as I would describe it anyway ... the body woods are shaped and held in relation to each other, then resin used to link them. Thats a very simplified outline lol.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing stuff Ash - that is a stunning guitar!
  • I saw a nice looking single cut on the Stone Wolf website that I really liked. This not so much, too much Klingon Hippie Sandwich
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vegaman said:
    Klingon Hippie Sandwich
    I like that.  It should be the name of the guitar.
    tFB Trader
    Vegaman said:
    I saw a nice looking single cut on the Stone Wolf website that I really liked. This not so much, too much Klingon Hippie Sandwich
    I've handled it ... it's rather awesome  

• blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    I want a guitar made from Poisonwood!
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Vegaman said:
    I saw a nice looking single cut on the Stone Wolf website that I really liked. This not so much, too much Klingon Hippie Sandwich
    I've handled it ... it's rather awesome  
    Yeah? Sounds interesting
  • blobb said:
    I want a guitar made from Poisonwood!
    Ken Lawrence uses black Poisonwood ('Chechen') as the top for his :)