Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Looks interesting :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I love my Helix so much I sold all my amps, so have no use for this.  However, the FX on the Helix are IMO excellent and there's zillions of them, if I were still using an amp I'd definitely buy one.  What I want is a mini Helix, 1 CPU, less flexibility but this footprint, looks like I'm still waiting :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I don’t think £550 is overly expansive when compared to single units like the timeline at £430, or the 1-effect-at-a-time H9, which costs more.

Also note new reverbs are due any time soon which could bring the overall average effect quality up a step also.
    The h9 doesn't do one effect at a time. Multiple algorithms have multiple effects.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I don’t think £550 is overly expansive when compared to single units like the timeline at £430, or the 1-effect-at-a-time H9, which costs more.

Also note new reverbs are due any time soon which could bring the overall average effect quality up a step also.
    The h9 doesn't do one effect at a time. Multiple algorithms have multiple effects.
    All multi fx units do to be fair, even the zoom units do.  Difference with this is you will be able independently switch each effect on a unit like this.  Eventide do have some pretty interesting algorithms with multiple effects so I'm not knocking them, but you can build equally interesting effects up in the Helix.

As for quality of effects, like most mfx, some are better in one area and some in another.  The Helix definitely need more interesting ambient verbs, which I hope are coming in the next firmware upgrade.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    The idea of a Helix FX/ Helix level replacement for the M series got mooted about five minutes after the original Helix was released. Be interesting to see and I’m already looking forward to the Headrush equivalent at NAMM 2019. 
    Is headrush still a thing? Thought it had sunk without trace, it's hardly ever mentioned.
    They still seem to exist, although they don't seem to get much mention on here. I think the idea was that Headrush would be a line of products and not just the one big box so a Headrush FX seems possible. 
    Sorry, just warming to my own theme - if I had been in charge of Headrush ( in what bizzare scenario I don't know) I might have tried to beat Line 6 on the draw to this. Clearly they haven't. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited January 2018
    I’m surprised so many people are asking for it with all the amps etc installed, the LT is less than £700 - the point of this is to replace a pedal board and nothing more. Also surprised that people are expecting it to have so many loops and midi etc - I’d be surprised if it had any more than two loops (or one stereo loop) and midi must be a requirement of such a small proportion of the guitar playing community that it would make sense to force them up toward either the higher end full fat helix options. 

Just my opinion, of course!

Edit - this post is as much a vent after having read multiple pages of the TGP thread on the subject. Boy do those guys know how to be dicks about a cool new product. As you were. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Thursday isn't far away. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I’m surprised so many people are asking for it with all the amps etc installed, the LT is less than £700 - the point of this is to replace a pedal board and nothing more. Also surprised that people are expecting it to have so many loops and midi etc - I’d be surprised if it had any more than two loops (or one stereo loop) and midi must be a requirement of such a small proportion of the guitar playing community that it would make sense to force them up toward either the higher end full fat helix options. 

Just my opinion, of course!

Edit - this post is as much a vent after having read multiple pages of the TGP thread on the subject. Boy do those guys know how to be dicks about a cool new product. As you were. 
    It's the footprint I like, the Helix is great, but we play some tiny pubs where it gets trampled on.  Also for most gigs I'd ba happy with less flexibility, just a few basic sounds.  It wouldn't replace my Helix, just provide an option for smaller gigs, 

• I don’t think £550 is overly expansive when compared to single units like the timeline at £430, or the 1-effect-at-a-time H9, which costs more.

All multi fx units do to be fair, even the zoom units do.  Difference with this is you will be able independently switch each effect on a unit like this.  Eventide do have some pretty interesting algorithms with multiple effects so I'm not knocking them, but you can build equally interesting effects up in the Helix.

As for quality of effects, like most mfx, some are better in one area and some in another.  The Helix definitely need more interesting ambient verbs, which I hope are coming in the next firmware upgrade.  
    I have to say owning both a h9 and a helix I personally feel eventide have absolutely battered line 6 in terms of quality effects. All opinion I know but so far I don't ever really find myself using the inbuilt effects on the helix because they've been quite disappointing. 
    Still love the h9
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    I would agree that the H9 is better at cleaner studio style effects but I couldn't ever get mine to sound like what I was used to. Eventide, Lexicon and the like are fantastic at the crystal clear delays and reverbs but thats not what you would get from a Memory Man, Echoplex or even a DD3. They have a charm which Line 6 have always managed to capture for good and for bad. Yes there are straight digital delays and reverbs but I would say (my opinion and mine alone) that Line 6 have always geared towards more guitar fx rather than studio. What the update will do for this I don't know. I've never had any problem with the fx but my needs are really simple. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• See for me, I still think pound for pound the m series sounds better/more guitar fx like than helix.

Don't get me wrong as recording device I really do like my helix a lot. It's been unbelievably handy. Unfortunately I'm just not liking the drives, they just don't sound right to me. The delays don't have the charm of the dl-4. I do think the mods are better on the helix than the mm4 but I'm not a big mod fan and I will always use my moogerfoogers for recording mod sounds. Pitch... Bless it, tracking is not it's strong point. 
    I really hope the fm4 gets ported over.

I will acknowledge that the firmware updates have improved the helix no end. I got a first release one and really didn't like it. I'm confident it will keep improving and I am interested to see whats in the next update
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I'm different again. Love helix delays. As good as any. Had good results with the drives. Think mod and reverb are the weakest though perfectly functional. 
  • @Teetonetal Patrick fella, what drives do you use? I find the klon is about the only usable one and tend to tweak a driven amp instead.

Might just be me but I do struggle for a nice crunch and alot of the amps seem to be geared for Uber gain?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    I like the Rat into the Matchless for crunch.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Plexi Bright crunches up nicely... sprinkle with Kinky Boost, Minotaur and 808 to taste.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited January 2018
    @meltedbuzzbox I'm more or less using the box ac 30 sim for everything except higher gain stuff. It's set to be a bit clean with SC or crunchy with HB - then I've had good results with using the pedal sims to push it.  Had good results with Stupor, Compulsive and also the KWB (my favourite). I've not liked the Klon ( I think because I use a soul food) or the valve driver. I'm not a RAT guy at all, so never go there.

I really use helix much the same way as I do real amps - I prefer getting the drive out of the amp then pushing with ODs for more crunch or gain.
  • @meltedbuzzbox I'm more or less using the box ac 30 sim for everything except higher gain stuff. It's set to be a bit clean with SC or crunchy with HB - then I've had good results with using the pedal sims to push it.  Had good results with Stupor, Compulsive and also the KWB (my favourite).

I really use helix much the same way as I do real amps - I prefer getting the drive out of the amp then pushing with ODs for more crunch or gain.
    Ok. Intend to start with a sparkly clean hiwatt or ac30 so I guess that could explain the gritty, almost harsh sound I get from the pedals
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
     I would say (my opinion and mine alone) that Line 6 have always geared towards more guitar fx rather than studio. 
    Ironic considering where Marcus started... (for those that don't know, he was behind the Alesis Midiverb, Microverb, Quadraverb etc).

I'll be honest - this does look interesting. The M13 is the best box Line6 ever made IMHO (then I would say that, wouldn't I?) and my (prototype!!) still gets taken to jams and gigs where I may be slightly out of my normal comfort zone... its a great swiss army knife.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I want one 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Still far too much money for what it is, £425 and it would clean up
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom