Amazing live bands that are disappointing on record...

What's Hot

Comments

• Bit of an old un,Ian Dury and The Blockheads.It didn’t really matter If you liked them or not they were great live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Man. Terrific live band but their studio stuff is very flat and lacklustre. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    boogieman said:
    Man were typical of a lot of bands in that the setlist was a guide to performance at best. They didn't really do recitals. I don't know how many times I;ve heard them do "C'mon", for example, but the song went thorugh a lot of stages, having new bits tacked on to it that led Micky Jones to go off into new and quite brilliant territory.

In that way they were like Deep Purple in the Mk2 days. Setlist the same, music different from one performance to the next as they stretched out.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    scrumhalf said:
    boogieman said:
    Man were typical of a lot of bands in that the setlist was a guide to performance at best. They didn't really do recitals. I don't know how many times I;ve heard them do "C'mon", for example, but the song went thorugh a lot of stages, having new bits tacked on to it that led Micky Jones to go off into new and quite brilliant territory.

In that way they were like Deep Purple in the Mk2 days. Setlist the same, music different from one performance to the next as they stretched out.
    Yup, they were great improvisers all right. Saw the original band (in their many forms!) lots of times too and don’t think I ever heard them play a song the same way twice.

You seen Son of Man? Mickey’s son George on guitar. They’ve got some of the vibe of the original band and play a few of the old songs. They’re rather good. 
  • richyleerichylee Frets: 15
    edited January 2018
    I saw James bay as a support act a few years ago, the guy sounded incredible but his album just lacks that feel he had, feels like the album slips under as background music 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:
    I find a lot of the modern thrash bands are truly good fun live, but totally one dimensional on record.

My lad likes Municipal Waste, Iron Reagan, Lost Society, Shrapnel and the like - I've seen most of these bands with him in the last couple of years and they're great live.  Really good entertainment but apart from the odd track that appears on a 'shuffle' playlist, I find them all really dull to listen to at home - same tempo's, no dynamics....etc
    Say what you like about what the eighties thrash bands did, and they might not be as technically proficient as these newer bands, but they could write entire albums that would keep the listener engaged throughout. 

Either that, or I'm getting old.  
    I’d agree with you on that to a certain extent, apart from Power Trip and a couple of other exceptions a lot of the modern thrash albums can be pretty dull. Compare them to the likes of S.O.D or Slayer and there’s a big difference, 
    Power Trip are the exception - can't wait to see them next week. Albeit for only half an hour.  :p
    I'd say that Nekromatheon are the best modern thrashers although more intense and extreme than the modern crossover types.   What I've heard of Power Trip is pretty decent though. 

Band like Evil Army and Midnight are great although they do one thing only.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Reverend said:
    RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:
    I find a lot of the modern thrash bands are truly good fun live, but totally one dimensional on record.

My lad likes Municipal Waste, Iron Reagan, Lost Society, Shrapnel and the like - I've seen most of these bands with him in the last couple of years and they're great live.  Really good entertainment but apart from the odd track that appears on a 'shuffle' playlist, I find them all really dull to listen to at home - same tempo's, no dynamics....etc
    Say what you like about what the eighties thrash bands did, and they might not be as technically proficient as these newer bands, but they could write entire albums that would keep the listener engaged throughout. 

Either that, or I'm getting old.  
    I’d agree with you on that to a certain extent, apart from Power Trip and a couple of other exceptions a lot of the modern thrash albums can be pretty dull. Compare them to the likes of S.O.D or Slayer and there’s a big difference, 
    Power Trip are the exception - can't wait to see them next week. Albeit for only half an hour.  :p
    I'd say that Nekromatheon are the best modern thrashers although more intense and extreme than the modern crossover types.   What I've heard of Power Trip is pretty decent though. 

Band like Evil Army and Midnight are great although they do one thing only.

Cheers for the tip off....... Enjoying Nekromatheon right now.  Very, very old school but absolute quality.

I can take or leave Evil Army and Midnight...

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Going thrash, some of the old school thrash was so poorly recorded that it can't help but be great live :)

Was given the overkill album feel the fire by a mate ages ago, being told it was amazing.. really couldn't get into it. I liked later albums just not that.. Heard the songs live and they really blew me away. 

Same with Destruction, albums are difficult to listen to, but seeing them live was amazing.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    LuttiS said:
    Going thrash, some of the old school thrash was so poorly recorded that it can't help but be great live :)

Was given the overkill album feel the fire by a mate ages ago, being told it was amazing.. really couldn't get into it. I liked later albums just not that.. Heard the songs live and they really blew me away. 

Same with Destruction, albums are difficult to listen to, but seeing them live was amazing.
    Old Destruction and Overkill albums sound great. New ones not so much. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    LuttiS said:

I just can't get into them :(  love the songs though..

Still they sound better than Nitro's OFR album with his cardboard drums... 
  • How about Haim; I enjoyed their Glasto set on tv; a good four piece band with lot of energy and good tunes. However this is lost on their new album as it is ridiculously over produced with all sorts of cheesy 80’s synths, random bangs, bleeps and other noises; it’s unlistenable. A mix with just guitar, bass, piano drums and vocals would be so much better and make a decent album.
    Compare these two versions of Right Now, one a live studio take, the other the abum version. 

https://youtu.be/z1LLWHroWgA

https://youtu.be/qALvRCFNNpo

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    How about Haim; I enjoyed their Glasto set on tv; a good four piece band with lot of energy and good tunes. However this is lost on their new album as it is ridiculously over produced with all sorts of cheesy 80’s synths, random bangs, bleeps and other noises; it’s unlistenable. A mix with just guitar, bass, piano drums and vocals would be so much better and make a decent album.
    Compare these two versions of Right Now, one a live studio take, the other the abum version. 

https://youtu.be/z1LLWHroWgA

https://youtu.be/qALvRCFNNpo

I really love the first Haim album - it's perfectly produced pop

I agree the new one goes way too far though
    Stop crying, start buying
  • I went to see a local-ish rock band on the weekend, Buffalo Summer. Old school rock in the vein of Aerosmith, Purple, Whitesnake etc. Electrifying performance; brilliant on stage and they sounded awesome. I bought one of their CDs and it wasn’t bad, but a lot of the tracks were samey and it just didn’t have the sparkle of their live sound.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Cheap Trick sounded bland in the Studio but rocked it out live my fav clip is this

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Reverend said:
    LuttiS said:

All the bands sounded different, back then.   The new albums all sound exactly the same - generic and too perfect. 

The last three Overkill albums have some decent tracks, but are completely spoiled by a hideous, over-processed drum sound. 
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

One of my favourite bands is Machine Head, but I find it difficult to listen to a lot of their studio recorded stuff. Live, they are a fucking powerhouse, which is why I always go to see them if they are touring. Love it! In fact I will be going to see them for the **8 billionth time next month.

**Possibly a slight exaggeration :)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Nikko said:

One of my favourite bands is Machine Head, but I find it difficult to listen to a lot of their studio recorded stuff. Live, they are a fucking powerhouse, which is why I always go to see them if they are touring. Love it! In fact I will be going to see them for the **8 billionth time next month.

**Possibly a slight exaggeration :)

Jeeees @Nikko ... Told you a million times not to exaggerate! 

** I'll get me coat :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    I've probably banged on about James Taylor Quartet in the past, but if all you remember from them was the 'Starsky and Hutch' single - and you like your funk - get to a gig.

Their records have always sounded flat to me, even the live ones.  But seeing them on stage is something else, in a room with a thousand or so they'll take the roof off the place. They feed off the audience I think, and the records will never reflect that.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    The allman brothers band and the grateful dead.  
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    I woud say Queen (proper lineup with Freddie...and pre Live Aid too) - however the studio albums were far from bad or boring 
    It's just that they were a different animal live - totally electrifying

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!