Finished Pics! Andyjr1515's Piccolo gains a couple of strings

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited January 2018

So, with the missing knob arrived, final finished pics

As always, thanks for the fantastic support and tips and tricks you have all generously given along the way

8aF0Uqjljpg

I2VDuJcljpg

NOtOgTPljpg

nLCH22Bljpg

J8C16ctljpg

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nice - looks and sounds superb
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very nice - looks and sounds superb
    Thanks, @DartmoorHedgehog :)
  • Oh my god, that's absolutely stunning.

I would like one. 
    Oh my god, that's absolutely stunning.

I would like one. 
    ...and for a trifling king's ransom, you may have one, @ThePrettyDamned ; ;)
    The great thing about building your own guitars is that you lose the fear of changing things :)

A couple of times, friends have gone pale - after agreeing with me that something might be maybe shaped a little differently - when I immediately get out the rasp file and hack into the gleaming beauty, there and then.  "Something like that?" I ask, as they sway from the shock.

Well - I'm just about to do the same here.  Having played this myself over a couple of days, and having just watched someone whose objective opinion I greatly respect play it, I'm going to get the micro-plane rasps out tomorrow and create some sawdust :)

This is what it looks like at the moment:

And this is what I think it should look like:

Yes - it's subtle but I think it will make a big difference to the playability.

In summary -
    • Slightly deeper cutout at the top horn.  The contact I watched play is - a bit like me - a lazy-thumb player.  That is, his thumb stays in the 'wrap-round' position even when he's playing the higher frets.  And when he's playing the highest frets, he anchors his thumb round the cutout.  In terms of my own playing (I rarely venture that high playing lead...makes my nose bleed) there is one number where I have to play barre chords with a capo on the 8th fret.  It is possible with this guitar as is, but it would be a lot more comfortable with another cm of hand space :)
    • Slightly deeper cutout on bottom horn.  No real benefit to me, but same logic to a 'proper' lead player
    • Slightly further rearward lower waist.  This guitar, as is, is GREAT on the strap...but, for me, it's just not quite right played over the knee.  I was interested to see exactly the same when my contact played it

It will only take 1/2hr to make the changes, but it will then, of course, need refinishing.  But that itself is an opportunity because I'm going to give the Gloss version of the Osmo one more go - but applied closer to how it is supposed to be applied than how it's been applied above.

This, of course, means a complete strip-down but what the heck - what else am I going to do in the evenings?! ;)

Oh...just to add.  My contact runs a very successful guitar and music shop and - with me allowing maybe a smidgin of smugness to creep in - I feel obliged to mention that he loved the neck profile and feel.  Took a while to get my swollen head through the shop door back onto the street   ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Took this to Pete's and my breakaway band practice yesterday. 

Pete - our band's bassist is having his first go playing the Swift Lite - and for a bassist, he's not a bad 6-string player    Forgive the intrusive saxophone (played by yours truly) and the highly questionable vocals (bet you can't guess who's THOSE are):

https://soundcloud.com/andy-rogers-6/live-demo-swift-lite

https://soundcloud.com/andy-rogers-6/live-demo-2-swift-lite

The guitar is now doing the rounds of a few regular players I know to get some collective feedback of how it could be improved for any future development build.