Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mark E. Smith

What's Hot
Just heard that the Fall singer has passed away at 60
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    Memories of listening to The Fall on the John Peel show while hiding under the duvet so my dad couldn’t hear. Great, if eccentric frontman.

Sleep well Mark.

https://youtu.be/Cl34oJEoO7s
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Just seen this also - a Manchester legend. 60 - how depressing.... RIP
  • I'm a bit gutted, to be honest. I'd always imagined him to be indestructible. While The Fall were never consistent, when they were good, they were great. 
    RIP.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I always thought I’d get a go in the fall. Alas, not to be. Rest In Peace Mark. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    It was my cassette copy of This Nation’s Saving Grace that broke my cassette deck a couple of weeks ago. Listened to them a lot in the 80s, thanks to John Peel. Glad I got the chance to see them once. Poor old Mark looked in a bad way in the live clips from the end of 2017.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I never like the Fall at all, but he just seemed like an iconic guy, always all over NME (I was more of a SOUNDS guy), RIP
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Worst gig I ever saw was The Fall. Mark E Smith lay on the stage gurgling into the microphone for most of the set.  

Not a fan. But, RIP. 
  • Rest in peace-uh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Big fan.  The Fall could be both willfully alienating and ugly, and utterly pulverisingly great, in the space of a single live set.  Like their music or not, Smith's lyrics are absolute genius.  The man had a brutal work ethic, and never stopped...32 studio albums in a 40 year career is quite something.  Don't think we'll see his like again.

RIP
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Saw them once, up at the Edinburgh festival, or fringe, or whatever. Must be about 28 years back. Brix on guitar, and ballet dancers with their arses hanging out. It was bizarre, and it was absolutely brilliant!

Sad news..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Sad news. I used to love The Fall back in the early days.
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Lasting memories of Mark E Smith wandering around the Hacienda in a zipped up snorkel parka in the 80's! also pissed up in Mother Macs in Back Piccadilly, Mcr. Saw the Fall a couple of times, once mesmerising and once, shambolic, patchy at best. Quite a horrible get by all accounts but I thought he was genius when on form. UK's answer to the likes of Captain Beefheart.

An ever changing line up of The Fall, he once said "If it's me and your grannie on bongos, it's The Fall" Brilliant!!

R.I.P. Mark E Smith, You will be missed.
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Damn shame. Rest on. A hero to many
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Very sad, but not unexpected. His health has been poor for sometime. RIP.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    There's a story that he only agreed to appear on Later with Jools Holland on condition that Holland didn't play any of his godawful boogie woogie piano... that makes him a hero in my book.

Does anyone remember this - from "the Tube"? (1980's?) the definitive version of White Lightning"...

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    Gutted, a hero of mine. A true eccentric, the man didn't give a fuck. Always against the grain. RIP
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    cruxiform said:
    Memories of listening to The Fall on the John Peel show while hiding under the duvet so my dad couldn’t hear. Great, if eccentric frontman.

Sleep well Mark.

https://youtu.be/Cl34oJEoO7s
    Snap! Had my radio on 0.0025 volume my parents would still hear it!

RIP!
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Completely shit and utterly brilliant, usually on the same album.

His comments on the refugee crisis were utterly ridiculous, but I think he probably knew that.

I've bought various Fall records over the years, and I suspect in the next few months I'll gorge on whatever Deezer has in its sweaty paws.

Now this is definitely an example of someone dying too soon - still relevant and still performing.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Completely off his rocker alcoholic genius poet.

Did everything his own way, and was probably , as somebody else mentioned, the most Beefheart-a-like artist in the UK.