Oh dear, I think I want to collect vinyl....

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
Should I stop myself while I have a chance?!

I’m not overly fussed about listening to them per se - I have an Apple Music subscription - but there’s something I love about records. The artwork, just the general aura of a record. 

I have a few records that I use in display frames as artwork on my wall in the room I play guitar in, but I found myself accidentally in HMV today just browsing....

Am I in too deep to be stopped?! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Why not! But vinyl records are bulky and take up a lot of wall space to store them. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Better have deep pockets then!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Do it. With the right playback equipment your ears will thank you :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Better have deep pockets then!
    Ha when I say collection it would be a very modest one. I’d probably buy one a month or something. 
    Also can anyone recommend any particular retailers? Or is it all much of a muchness these days?
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Got mixed feelings about this.  I can almost go back to the days of the "78" but to be honest I prefer the digital age hands down.  Yes folk go on about the wonderful business of saving up your paper round money and spending hours in the record shop and weren't the gatefold sleeves great, blah blah blah, but really we had to be content in those days with an awful lot of awful music,  because we had paid good money for it we were bloody well going to listen to it.

I have quite a bit of vinyl, (and I would have a lot more were the divorce laws different in the 1980's) but honestly, I can't remember the last time I got an LP out either to look at it or play it.  I didn't actually think CD's were a huge leap forward but digital storage/playback media is the bollox as far as I'm concerned.  I got an ipod as soon as they came out and I've still got it, in fact I was listening to it this morning.

And as for all the talk about the so-called analogue sound most of that comes from the recording medium, not the playback apparatus.  I remember a blind test they did on the radio a few years ago where they played something on a turntable, a cd player and a digital device and all the so - called experts failed spectacularly. In one case some guy said he could instantly detect the CD version as it was "too loud".  He was wrong.

Neill said:
    Got mixed feelings about this.  I can almost go back to the days of the "78" but to be honest I prefer the digital age hands down.  Yes folk go on about the wonderful business of saving up your paper round money and spending hours in the record shop and weren't the gatefold sleeves great, blah blah blah, but really we had to be content in those days with an awful lot of awful music,  because we had paid good money for it we were bloody well going to listen to it.

I have quite a bit of vinyl, (and I would have a lot more were the divorce laws different in the 1980's) but honestly, I can't remember the last time I got an LP out either to look at it or play it.  I didn't actually think CD's were a huge leap forward but digital storage/playback media is the bollox as far as I'm concerned.  I got an ipod as soon as they came out and I've still got it, in fact I was listening to it this morning.

And as for all the talk about the so-called analogue sound most of that comes from the recording medium, not the playback apparatus.  I remember a blind test they did on the radio a few years ago where they played something on a turntable, a cd player and a digital device and all the so - called experts failed spectacularly. In one case some guy said he could instantly detect the CD version as it was "too loud".  He was wrong.

Yeah for me it would be very much about the act of collecting albums I like, and having something physical to look at ... I have no massive interest in playing them when I have a good digital setup for music playback. Not sure what the appeal is to be honest, I think it’s because I never did the whole music shop thing as a kid/teen - it’s only the last couple of years my interest in music has become more serious 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Better have deep pockets then!
    Ha when I say collection it would be a very modest one. I’d probably buy one a month or something. 
    Wait till you really get the bug!

A good source is actually charity shops. Although you don’t find as many bargains as in the past and you have to sort through loads of crap you can usually pick us some good records especially if like not so fashionable stuff - if you like Moody Blues you’re in for a treat! I got pretty much all of Clapton’s 80s and 90s output for a few quid each. Also the bargain bins at proper record shops often have a few gems. 
  • You're only in too deep when your turntable costs the price of a 2nd hand car and then the tonearm costs the same, as does the cartridge, and that's before you've bought the phono stage, the preamp, the power amp and the speakers ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks will check out the charity shops etc! Good shout :)

Phil that will definitely never be me ha!
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    You're only in too deep when your turntable costs the price of a 2nd hand car and then the tonearm costs the same, as does the cartridge, and that's before you've bought the phono stage, the preamp, the power amp and the speakers ;)

This is why digital music is so wonderful.  When all we had was vinyl there was a big difference between those who could afford proper Hifi and the rest listening on their parents old dansette or radiogram.   These days, by comparison almost everyone listens to music in "high fidelity" despite what the audio snobs say about MP3's.   

I suspect a lot of folk who fuelling the resurgence of vinyl are those like @BRISTOL86 who missed it the first time round so there's a certain curiosity.   
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Your wallet won't thank me for THIS ....and probably not for THIS either.

You'll end up needing stuff from HERE as well.

I've got some important ones and there's maybe a total of 20 more I'd buy.
    I haven't got anything to play them on yet but sometime this year I'll get a deck and a pre amp to run it through my desk monitors.

I do remember it first time around and missed it ever since.
    Digital music is good and very useful but I never thought vinyl wasn't so it's nice to see it and hear it again but the prices mean it's a treat for special albums only.

30cmx30cm frames look great on the wall and they fit behind the neck of a guitar really well when it's on a hercules hanger. One Idea I had was to frame the album which owning each guitar was either inspired by or which album it reminds me of the most. I did something similar in the end with different size frames but it's not a bad Idea especially if you've got lots of guitars on the wall and you want a uniform theme to the wall.
    Alnico said:
    Your wallet won't thank me for THIS ....and probably not for THIS either.

You'll end up needing stuff from HERE as well.

I've got some important ones and there's maybe a total of 20 more I'd buy.
    I haven't got anything to play them on yet but sometime this year I'll get a deck and a pre amp to run it through my desk monitors.

I do remember it first time around and missed it ever since.
    Digital music is good and very useful but I never thought vinyl wasn't so it's nice to see it and hear it again but the prices mean it's a treat for special albums only.

30cmx30cm frames look great on the wall and they fit behind the neck of a guitar really well when it's on a hercules hanger. One Idea I had was to frame the album which owning each guitar was either inspired by or which album it reminds me of the most. I did something similar in the end with different size frames but it's not a bad Idea especially if you've got lots of guitars on the wall and you want a uniform theme to the wall.
    Yeah I really enjoy album art and I like the idea of one day having a wall full of records should I ever get a larger music room! They do look great on the wall. 

Like you it'll be reserved for particularly important music to me and not just buying a load of it for the sake of it.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    BRISTOL86 said:

I’m not overly fussed about listening to them per se - I have an Apple Music subscription - but there’s something I love about records. The artwork, just the general aura of a record. 
    Was in exactly the same place, and I went for it.

My wife bought me 10 albums for Xmas to get me started.

It's a lovely way to listen to and own music, my spotify sub isnt going anywhere, but a Vinyl collection complements it, and allows you to bung some extra cash at your music hobby while getting a nice piece of product.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Not a cheap hobby anymore (unfortunately). There was a time when you could get good stuff in charity shops for next to nothing, but records are still as good as you remember them being. They can, and do, take up space though. Be warned!

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    BRISTOL86 said:

It's a lovely way to listen to and own music, my spotify sub isnt going anywhere, but a Vinyl collection complements it, and allows you to bung some extra cash at your music hobby while getting a nice piece of product.
    Yeah kind of my take on it. A nice complement rather than a replacement. Not even massively interested in the listening side of things. May start building up a collection long before i get any means to play it!
  • Oh and forgot to mention there’s the pleasure of the hunt. Nothing like the feeling of coming across a rare LP you’ve been looking for
    for years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Charity shops are usually not great places to buy vinyl.  Unless you like Perry Como, James Last etc.  But why buy it if you don't listen to it?  As has already been stated, a significant up front cost is required before your vinyl will sound significantly better than CD or lesser quality digital formats.  Tread carefully or you might fall into a vinyl black hole.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Charity shops are usually not great places to buy vinyl.  Unless you like Perry Como, James Last etc.  But why buy it if you don't listen to it?  As has already been stated, a significant up front cost is required before your vinyl will sound significantly better than CD or lesser quality digital formats.  Tread carefully or you might fall into a vinyl black hole.....
    I’ve always liked having a collection of something. I don’t know; maybe just a bit of a pseudo-nostalgic yearning for days I never experienced - before the days of instant everything. 

Ive always been fascinated by album artwork and I like displaying albums I like on the wall. I don’t have much space in the house to myself but I have some vinyl on the wall and dropped it into conversation earlier with Lady Bristol that I’m planning on adding more frames :lol: 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    edited January 2018
    BRISTOL86 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah kind of my take on it. A nice complement rather than a replacement. Not even massively interested in the listening side of things. May start building up a collection long before i get any means to play it!
    I'm now on a vinyl ban as I've filled up my box! Only got about 25 albums but such a nice cross section I can conceive of just looking out for special deals like this was...

https://s26.postimg.org/7sd6j3a95/20180127_210627.jpg

Edit:  The Verve box set, not the beer or copy of Total Guitar!  I need to master your minimal aesthetic there @BRISTOL86 ; !!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...