Drums - What software are you lot using

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited January 2018
    duotone said:
    Thanks @Exorcist will keep an eye out for price drops, when I eventually decide.

So far the AD2 trial seems ok. Sound-wise I like it, but it would be good to have an editor so I can sample the drum parts before dropping them into my DAW. 

You should be able to load AD as a VSTi in your DAW. Then open up the AD VSTi interface in your DAW and drag the AD midi pattern into your DAW. At least that's what I do in Reaper, if I want base a drum track based on an AD pattern which I can then edit.

Below is a link to a video I created (with no sound).

https://app.box.com/s/fo1rxhdb2vhg1etdn004d2jelmjmnsax

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    duotone said:
    Thanks @Exorcist will keep an eye out for price drops, when I eventually decide.

So far the AD2 trial seems ok. Sound-wise I like it, but it would be good to have an editor so I can sample the drum parts before dropping them into my DAW. 

You should be able to load AD as a VSTi in your DAW. Then open up the AD VSTi interface in your DAW and drag the AD midi pattern into your DAW. At least that's what I do in Reaper, if I want base a drum track based on an AD pattern which I can then edit.

Yeah I can do that ok, but it would be useful to be able to listen to some patterns in AD2, before I drop them into my DAW.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited January 2018
    duotone said:
    duotone said:

Yeah I can do that ok, but it would be useful to be able to listen to some patterns in AD2, before I drop them into my DAW.

There's a Play button at the top, just to the right of the Addictive Drums logo.

It's not a competition.
    edited January 2018
    Cheers @stratman3142 I did see that, I was just wondering if it had a bar like the coloured one at the bottom.

https://www.thomann.de/pics/bdb/399369/11454096_800.jpg

• If I understand your picture correctly, I think you can do the equivalent in AD2 as follows. Apologies if you already know some of this stuff and I've missed your point again. I'm just trying to second guess what your questions might be.

The individual sections of a song can be played by making a selection on the 'Beats page'. See picture 1 below

Individual kit pieces can then be Soloed or Muted on the 'Kit page' using the S (Solo) and M (Mute) buttons. See picture 2 below.
    Incidentally, on the 'Kit page' you can click on a picture of the a kit piece to hear its sound. The velocity sample you hear depends on where you click on the picture. Higher velocities towards the top and lower velocities towards the bottom.

You can hear the sounds of the individual hits by clicking on the L symbol at the top right of the kit piece picture. This opens a window as shown in picture 3. This also give the option of changing the kit piece. The drop down menu towards the bottom right in picture 3 allows an 'options filter' to be applied. In my picture I've set the filter to just show the Snares from Fairfax Vol. 1

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

It's not a competition.
    Cheers @stratman3142 ;  All useful info. that I didn't know about!  Will have another go on it this evening.
    edited January 2018
    Really Helpful @stratman3142 ;; I've got the demo working well now, thanks to your help/screenshots.  Cheers!

Downloaded the free 10 day trial of EZ Drummer 2.  So far so good, am just getting to grips with it.  Its a shame that I cant resize the window to make it larger but apart from that I'm really liking it.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I use the Arturia Spark le,  probably the best software/hardware I have ever used, really intuitive cheap and sounds pretty phenomenal
    edited January 2018
    Been jumping between EZ Drummer 2 & Addictive Drums 2 demos & am finding myself using EZ Drummer 2 more. I think when the trials up I will most likely go with this one.  

EZ Keys looks interesting, any users here?
    Finally bit the bullet & bought EZ Drummer 2. It came with a "free" expansion pack, so I went for The Classic EZX.  

Just downloading it all now.
  • duotone said:
    Finally bit the bullet & bought EZ Drummer 2. It came with a "free" expansion pack, so I went for The Classic EZX.  

I really like the drum sounds on this guy's album (link below) and in post #7 he says he used EZDrummer 2 (mostly the Modern kits).

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197289

It's not a competition.
    duotone said:

I really like the drum sounds on this guy's album (link below) and in post #7 he says he used EZDrummer 2 (mostly the Modern kits).

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197289

Yeah theres a MODERN & VINTAGE kit that comes with EZDrummer 2, before you get into buying the expansion packs.

The Modern presets seem to cover a lot of ground;   
    Basic/ 80's/ Disco Pop/ Distorted/ Dry Rock/ Metal/ Modern Vintage/ Pop/ Power Batter/ Prog Rock/ Ringy 
    Rock/ Roomy Rock/ Small Room/ Studio Blues/ Tape Filter/ Tight/ Original Mix
  • duotone said:
    Been jumping between EZ Drummer 2 & Addictive Drums 2 demos & am finding myself using EZ Drummer 2 more. I think when the trials up I will most likely go with this one.  

EZ Keys looks interesting, any users here?
    I have ez keys, git it free on Black Friday sale.
    It's... Meh. I use it more as an fx over midi, for that it works well but it's not as good as EZ drummer for quick, good results
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom