Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fretboard Jam - North Edition - Sasquatch Studios - Huddersfield - 27th January 2018 - SONG LIST UP!

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    If we do a full weekend, we'll definitely need more drummers. Differs was absolutely wrecked after 6 hours on the stool. He was massively grateful for a break so thanks @mrkb ;
    I have another tame drummer I can call on too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    edited January 2018
    Differs was a bloody hero and is to be congratulated getting through the day, even drummers have feelings.

Also, I've dropped Bob a few beer tokens just to say thanks. Another hero of the day .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1646
    edited January 2018
    Wow, what a good do....

I have to admit I did not know what to expect, was it going to be a pissing contest??
    I nearly didn't come, I signed up very late,  but I reminded myself the whole reason was to get myself out of my comfort zone and meet some new people, faces to names etc.

It was very humbling to meet and talk with so many nice people.

Thanks to the organisers, @Legionreturns and @Bridgehouse for your time and effort at putting this together and running the show on the day; and to @Sasquatch_Bob for being such a patient and accommodating host; and Differs was heroic.

Thanks to the Beat It crew, especially @modellista for tackling vocals; without this it would probably not have happened.

Feedback...
    - Whilst the name badges where an obvious good move, they were hard to read and not always visible; an introduction whilst we were all initially gathered would have helped? I still don't know some people's real names...
    - Were there too many songs to record? It did feel a bit rushed towards the end, not helped I guess by some change overs.
    - As a latecomer to the party, I accept I had no input to the set list and had to wait 5 hours to get first my shot in the recording room; I also have to admit there was a time, early on, that I thought it wouldn't happen as it looked like there would be a lot of time slippage. This did, however, enable me to mingle, and jam in the other rooms; "Beat It" certainly benefited from this. But perhaps the running could have been mixed up a bit?
    - The acoustic room became a 2nd rehearsal room.. perhaps it should be used as that from the off to give more people a chance to jam with the proviso the door is closed? I hope no-one thought Jam Room one became congested or hogged?

It certainly wasn't a pissing contest; and I had a go on a Bass guitar.. even recorded a track so definitely out of my comfort zone. Got to listen to some witness some different gear, would have liked a bit more time with some of it like others have said; (but that may have ended in severe GAS). Certainly contemplating a Katana Head.. the Kemper was awesome.

In summary, the day was brilliant, nice helpful people and well organised. I would love to come along again.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• LuttiS said:
    LuttiS said:
    Home to North Wales! Thanks all had a blast! 

Little bit in love with a certain pink charvel :)
    That was the most subtle and tasteful guitar played on "Beat It".
    Had a certain je ne sais quoi! 
    @vasselmeyer , @LuttiS

Not sure what to make of this :/
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Mate, that guitar was bloody awesome! If you're going to do any kind of 80s rock, that has to be the go-to guitar for it.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I consider myself suitably chastened @mrkb ;
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    If we do a full weekend, we'll definitely need more drummers. Differs was absolutely wrecked after 6 hours on the stool. He was massively grateful for a break so thanks @mrkb ;
    No problem, I loved it, and could have covered another few if needed - I also knew Tush and Comfortably Numb. I would be happy to drum on about 1/3 of the (simpler) songs at a future event if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited January 2018
    drwiddly said:
    I consider myself suitably chastened @mrkb ;;
    Your version was more Guitar orientated than the CCR original- who did the version you suggested?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    You did a sterling job mate and Differs was very grateful! That version of Fortunate Son is by Joe Lynn Turner. In my defence, I'd forgotten it was different from the CCR one.
    All - good feedback.

The song list was quite long, and it was based on the Leicester running list, but as we were recording it took longer per song. Noted for future - the huddersfield Jam will likely be a weekend and a bit longer in the studio. I now know to allocate 20 mins min per song for it.

Happy for one room to be a rehearsal room. It’s an open format.

We are learning each time we do this and how to make it slicker and better for everyone - so don’t feel it won’t change or improve. It will.

On the name badges - I blame @Legionreturns pen choice...
  • On the name badges - I blame @Legionreturns pen choice...
    I blame Mrs Returns for stuffing that particular pen into my cable bag at the last second, and not being prepared in advance

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    drwiddly said:
    You did a sterling job mate and Differs was very grateful! That version of Fortunate Son is by Joe Lynn Turner. In my defence, I'd forgotten it was different from the CCR one.
    @drwiddly , in my head I was I going what's happening, the record doesn't go like this :-)
    On the name badges - I blame @Legionreturns pen choice...
    I blame Mrs Returns for stuffing that particular pen into my cable bag at the last second, and not being prepared in advance
    That's what you get for being hung over after trying to pull grannies :)
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745
    edited January 2018
    It was a great day. In terms of making it even better for next time, echoing some thoughts others have had:

1. Even though they can seem a bit cringey, in retrospect it would have been good to do some intros round the room at the start after the briefing. Maybe name, forum name, what gear you've brought, what you hope to get out of the day, your background / experience. That would be a good way to quickly understand who everyone is, who you are playing with, etc.

2. Having a separate jam room and rehearsal room would be a great idea. Some lovely jams happened In room 2 between rehearsals and it would have been nice for this to be happening constantly in one room with the rehearsals in another.   Based on yesterday, an acoustic room isn't needed, though the central area would have been big enough for an acoustic jam if required.

3. Bob, what a top bloke! Couldn't have asked for a better host. 

4. Maybe allow some time in the recording area for a big recorded jam session or two. Dunno about the rest of you but there were some lovely improvised moments in the other room and it would have been nice for those to have been captured on tape.

Just ideas for improvement though. It was a great day - thanks to @Legionreturns and @Bridgehouse for organising. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    edited January 2018
    LuttiS said:
    LuttiS said:
    Home to North Wales! Thanks all had a blast! 

Little bit in love with a certain pink charvel
    That was the most subtle and tasteful guitar played on "Beat It".
    Had a certain je ne sais quoi! 
    @vasselmeyer , @LuttiS

Not sure what to make of this
    @bloodandtears ;; Take it at exactly face value! I am a little in love with that guitar  
    It's awesome! And was played awesome too :]
  • vasselmeyer said: @Legionreturns I'm happy to bung Bob a few more quid .Can you post a  PayPal address?@Legionreturns ; Hi Chris, please pm me Bob’s details, I’ll drop him a few quid too.
  • BillyK57 said:
    @Legionreturns ; Hi Chris, please pm me Bob’s details, I’ll drop him a few quid too.
    Me too please Chris...
    My trading feedback

• @Legionreturns .. please can you post the final running sheet when the audio becomes available for prosperity and reference
    My trading feedback

• @Legionreturns .. please can you post the final running sheet when the audio becomes available for prosperity and reference
    At some point tonight a secret area will appear and we'll slowly start adding songs and inviting the participants to approve or deny a wider circulation of the audio files. Within that we'll be tagging the people on each recording and will undoubtedly make some mistakes as the file on my computer won't be 100% accurate. I'm certain there were a few on the fly changes. We will end up with a definitive list once that process is complete. 

Spoiler alert... I have heard the first two recordings as Bob did a test run of cloud sharing them with us. They sound immense! 

No. I'm not saying which songs, and it'll be a few days before we get all of them. :P 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Legionreturns ; can I have Bob's PayPal too please?