Acoustic playing

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So for a new project im doing acoustic versions of some more modern pop songs with some older stuff too. One song that is troubling me is this:

Main verse chords seem to be G min,  E.g., F maj and D major.

What I'm struggling with is using a E major bar chord for the G minor (root on 3rd fret E) and Eb being an A shape (root on 6th fret A)

Any suggestions or advice? Potentially we can shift the key but I wanted to give it a go in its "standard" key 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't know the song but for typical pop songs I usually use a capo to tackle tricky barre chord shapes, esp when I teach beginners so they don't have to do them at the start.
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    edited December 2017
    I’m not sure what the issue is. Is it that the Eb has too high a voicing? It’ll be a bigger problem for your bassist, because he/she will really want to go downwards that 3rd to the Eb chord. For you, I don’t really understand the issue - just play the chords exactly as you’ve described - yes it means the Eb ‘sounds higher’ than the G but it’s just a different voicing, it’s an idiosyncracy of the guitar. If you’ve got a keyboard player, he/she can provide the descending line. 

Other options:

Check out how Ritchie Blackmore tackles it with his 2-note chords (Man on the silver mountain, All night long, etc). 

Transpose it up a semitone in g# minor. 

Transpose it down a semitone in f#m and play the D thumb-over to get its bass note as low as possible - that’s probably one of the most common ways of playing that particular i-vii-vi progression. Or do it in e minor of course. 

Or you could play the Eb in 1st inversion which will sound a bit odd but at least give it as low a bottom note as possible. 3 1 1 3 4 x , or the C-shape Eb/G 365343
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Cleg83Cleg83 Frets: 2
    Try playing the Gm as xx5786 (Dm shape), Eb as x65343 (C shape) that way you move down to the Eb. That may help with the sound you're after. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    Cleg83 said:
    Try playing the Gm as xx5786 (Dm shape), Eb as x65343 (C shape) that way you move down to the Eb. That may help with the sound you're after. 
    Yes, or xx5333 like Stairway to Heaven, then xx3211, then the Eb barre chord at x6888x. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11867
    try xx8786 to xx8886, not as a barre chord, don't use the bottom 2 strings on that bit
  • There's also the "D" shaped Eb,   xx5343 , and if possible you can convert it to a "C" shape by adding the 4th finger;  x65343  , I bar the bottom 3 strings with the 1st finger in each case.  In extreme cases you can just shift a "D" chord up one fret and only play the bottom 3 strings.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay