Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Fractal Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    So what does everyone think of 9.04?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm still loving 9.02! For the first 8 months or so, I was updating as soon as they released beta, but nowadays, I'm not even updating the official release. I'll probably pay for that later down the line, but am in no rush unless there's a good reason. The DMM model was absolutely worth the upgrade, what a superb approximation that algorithm is.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I like 9.04, my test tone is the AC/DC Plexi sort of sound - where you have breakup and compression but can still hear everything.

9.03-9.04 sounds slightly more open and in a way polished to me, I liked it.

For most presets I keep Speaker Comp at 0, but like it for the SRV thing. CF hardness I normally leave at 0.5 but for some amps it does feel better at 0.75.

(the new default).

To be honest the differences now are so small we're way into cork sniffing now, most people apart from the player couldn't tell a difference, and even the player would likely fail a blind test

I'd heard that for British Speakers, the suggested Speaker Comp was 6 - which I'd been setting it at (I use OwnHammer IRs, of the Greenbacks and v30's). However, I've also seen that a lot of people set it much lower - I've now settled on 4 I think....
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    peteri said:

I like 9.04, my test tone is the AC/DC Plexi sort of sound - where you have breakup and compression but can still hear everything.

9.03-9.04 sounds slightly more open and in a way polished to me, I liked it.

For most presets I keep Speaker Comp at 0, but like it for the SRV thing. CF hardness I normally leave at 0.5 but for some amps it does feel better at 0.75.

(the new default).

To be honest the differences now are so small we're way into cork sniffing now, most people apart from the player couldn't tell a difference, and even the player would likely fail a blind test

I've got to say I agree, I didn't really notice any difference at all.
    Haven't had a play with speaker compression yet. It doesn't sound like the kind of thing I should have to worry about.
    I'm starting to think I might not be the target market here!

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited January 2018
    I just switch speaker comp off.  In fact I personally would prefer it to default to off, but once you've switched it off it stays off on that patch even if you change the amp model IIRC.

I thought 9.04 was a very small change.  I don't feel particularly strongly about it either way, to me it seemed like the low end got a tiny bit fatter on some of my high gain patches.  I've seen a post from Cliff saying the compression to low and high end has changed to be less compressed.

FWIW Leon Todd has done a comparison video.

I've FINALLY got the Yamaha MD-UT01 connector (after PMT messed up my order and I had to wait a month for the correct item) to use FracPad with the AX8.... and after having dismissed FracPad as way overpriced and buggy as hell, I have to say it's pretty awesome!

Just discovered the performance mode, which lets you load a setlist in, program songs in and assign them to scenes and patches - so you just tap the song, and it loads automatically on the AX8. Pretty cool!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    peteri said:

To be honest the differences now are so small we're way into cork sniffing now, 

I thought 9.04 was a very small change. 
    There was a point where I didn’t hear any difference between firmware releases. Then suddenly one of them leapt out at me, whilst other people were saying they didn’t notice much difference. It was then that I realised that different people notice different aspects of the sound. 

9.03 brought a significant difference in some of the sounds which I use, particularly at gig volume. 9.04 less so, but still noticeable.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • My guess is 9.04 might be the final Axe FX 2 firmware, unless there are bugs in it.  I posted a new thread - Axe 3 just got announced.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/123778/axe-fx-3#latest
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    It does explain why Cliff went quiet. I wondered whether he’d got a life.

I’m not sure that 9.04 will be the last update. There will be a lead time on the new model, and Cliff might need something to do while he’s waiting.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    I don't think they will stop updating the FX II - the forums would explode if they did (and I certainly wouldn't be impressed TBH - especially in light of all the "no, we're not planning on releasing a new model any time soon").
    Anyone else getting loads of issues with FracPad?

I’ve tried using the UD-BT01 interface, and just get blank presets. If I use the camera connection kit, the preset loads fine.... but when I use scene 2, the blocks from scene 2 that are all engaged then show as engaged in scene 1, when they aren’t. The preset layout also then shows on every other preset.

Have logged it on his FB page, so I imagine I’ll just get a load of abuse and “You shouldn’t have updated your AX8” or some other nonsense....
  • I've had my AX8 for a couple of months now and fairly happy with it so far. The issue Im having is matching cabs to amps. Is there any guidance anywhere on which cabs are best with which amps? The whole trial and error thing is wearing me out...
  • I've had my AX8 for a couple of months now and fairly happy with it so far. The issue Im having is matching cabs to amps. Is there any guidance anywhere on which cabs are best with which amps? The whole trial and error thing is wearing me out...
    Yep...https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-audio-amp-models-yeks-pdf-guide.115779/

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I've had my AX8 for a couple of months now and fairly happy with it so far. The issue Im having is matching cabs to amps. Is there any guidance anywhere on which cabs are best with which amps? The whole trial and error thing is wearing me out...
    I sound like I'm getting money for this - but I can't recommend Austin Buddy's Naked Amp pack highly enough.

I've gone from being please with the AX8 to completely loving it, you get every amp matched to a factory cab and with the controls all set to a typically right sounding value.

I bought it on a whim thinking it was a con, but wanting to try it.

Best money I've ever spent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteri said:
    I've had my AX8 for a couple of months now and fairly happy with it so far. The issue Im having is matching cabs to amps. Is there any guidance anywhere on which cabs are best with which amps? The whole trial and error thing is wearing me out...
    I sound like I'm getting money for this - but I can't recommend Austin Buddy's Naked Amp pack highly enough.

I've gone from being please with the AX8 to completely loving it, you get every amp matched to a factory cab and with the controls all set to a typically right sounding value.

Thanks Peteri, I'll take a look...
    Yep...https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-audio-amp-models-yeks-pdf-guide.115779/
    Blimey, someone has put some work into this! Thanks for the tip.
  • peteri said:

Thanks Peteri, I'll take a look...
    I decide d to buy the Austin Buddy pack as it looks like just what I need. How long does the email take to come through, I've had nothing yet?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Come on somebody, sell me your AX8!! Surely there are people who want need cash to buy a Helix or suchlike!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • No luck with that guy off the Fractal forum? Sounds like he doesn't know what he wants. Anyone upgrading from the AX8 to the III? Good luck mate!