Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fretboard Jam - North Edition - Sasquatch Studios - Huddersfield - 27th January 2018 - SONG LIST UP!

What's Hot
1262728293032»

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    Quite a few people have asked me for Bob's payment details so far, so I wanted to get a finger in the air idea, going forward, what people think would be a reasonable price per head assuming you get high quality, pro recordings out at the end of it? 

Bob added the recording thing when I did the walk around with him and, frankly, I had to fight him to persuade him to take more money. I still think he completely under charged us for what we've got. Hiring a practice room is fairly cheap, hiring a recording studio session is not. 

So, £8 was a number based on what we charged for Leicester, and was a simple split of the hiring fees for the rooms. 

What would YOU think is a fair rate for what we got yesterday, and again if we did a full weekend? 

Have a listen to the first couple of recordings before deciding, over on the other forum.

I might split this into a separate discussion later but I wanted to start with those people who've actually experienced what we got for our money yesterday. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342

What would YOU think is a fair rate for what we got yesterday, and again if we did a full weekend? 

There seems to be a generally welcomed suggestion that, in future, it could/should be a weekend session rather than just a single day.

So, cost of some sort of overnight accommodation (that's warm, dry and clean) has got to be £50.

Add the cost of the inevitable food, beer and beer, will be getting on for another £50.  OK, it's Huddersfield.  £20.

Against that cost, £8 for the actual purpose of the trip seems ridiculously low given what you get out of it?

On the other hand, if it's going to cost £100, would that reduce the number of people who'd sign up to attend?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Even without hearing the recordings, considering what I spent on hotel, fuel, beer, and grannies, a figure around the £15-£20 mark would be only fair for the main event. The only thing being if it was a 2-day event you probably wouldn't want to double that again. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    I agree Tony and I don't think £100 is likely or viable. Given that studio time (as opposed to practice room hire) varies massively but it's always at least double the cost, I was thinking that £20-25 seems reasonable. That's just me though. I'm interested in keeping the numbers up and if putting the price up a certain amount puts people off then it's counter productive.

It also puts a lot on one person financially, if fronting the while thing whilst awaiting payments, and means that dropouts are suddenly much more costly. We'd probably have to have a deposit system to secure a place rather than just a "Yeah I'm in" 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    £20/£25 wouldn't have put me off.  It'd cost a multiple of that in diesel, without any overnight stays.

Re the funding - take the money upfront.  If anyone drops out and their place is taken by a reserve, then the reserve pays the dropper-outer.  If there's no reserves left to take the place, then at least you're (or the organiser) is not out of pocket.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    TTony said:
    £20/£25 wouldn't have put me off.  It'd cost a multiple of that in diesel, without any overnight stays.

Re the funding - take the money upfront.  If anyone drops out and their place is taken by a reserve, then the reserve pays the dropper-outer.  If there's no reserves left to take the place, then at least you're (or the organiser) is not out of pocket.
    Agreed, that’s a fair cost, and you’d have to get people to pay up front. Last minute drop outs shouldn’t cost the organiser any money, it’s not the organisers fault!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Bearing in mind what  i paid up front, fuel costs and what I bunged Bob, I'd say £20-25 is more than fair for a full weekend's gearfest plus some pro-level recordings. I'm in .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bearing in mind what  i paid up front, fuel costs and what I bunged Bob, I'd say £20-25 is more than fair for a full weekend's gearfest plus some pro-level recordings. I'm in .
    I agree with this and @TTony. ; If it was a weekend, then £100 or so in total isn't that much to pay for a weekend of fun away from home. You would need to have people pay a non returnable deposit, or at least one, that would only be returned if a replacement took their place. You might also need to accept that some might only be able to come for just a day, though possibly allow weekenders to have first 'dibs'.
  • I'd agree that £8 seemed like daylight robbery to be honest! 

Considering how much it costs to hire a bog standard rehearsal room for a couple of hours (without recording facilities), £20-25 a head for a full day seems more than reasonable. It wouldn't stop me coming again.  :)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I guess a compromise would be weekenders not to be professionally recorded... 

Maybe make them a summer job, hire a place with a roof, power and a field then drink play and have fun all day until you pass out in the field (tents/caravan etc optional) then come to and do it again for the next day.

With enough people rate would be pretty manageable. 

Of course I'm sure there are some who would object to passing out anywhere other than a feather mattress and to those I say thhrrrrbbbttt. 

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Camping bed, sleeping bag .I reckon Bob would let you camp out at the studio. You could be unpaid nightwatchmen!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Camping bed, sleeping bag .I reckon Bob would let you camp out at the studio. You could be unpaid nightwatchmen!
    Not sure I'd want to shower in trap 3 in the morning tho... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shared bodily warmth. It's the Northern way...
    Aye but so is rickets

Aye but so is rickets
    Maybe in Huddersfield, I live in Cheshire. 
  • Eh up (that's Northern for "good day gentlemen"). Sorry for the delay in commenting, I've been trying to get my bloody tax return filed. All done now though with 2 days to spare too. That's a record for me, it was about 20 minutes last year.

Anyway, back to the point, what a brilliant day on Saturday. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. There was some great gear on display and some great playing too. It was nice to meet you all too.

Most importantly though, I want to say a massive thank you for all the kind words on here, I'm so pleased you liked my little studio. It's still very much a work in progress but I like it :) But more than that, over the last couple of days my paypal account has received a few extra, unexpected payments from Fretboard members with lovely messages attached. I am genuinely touched by that. Thank you.

I would be more than happy to host another event for Fretboard in future, and now I know what to expect, I think I can make the recording side run much smoother.

I'll be working on editing and mixing the live recordings from tomorrow onward, and I'll send them to Chris as they're done so he can share them with you all. It's quite a mammoth task so bear with me, I'll get through them as quickly as possible. Obviously they're going to be completely "warts and all" but that just adds to the character I reckon. No auto-tune, no overdubs and no "cut and paste", just the way rock'n'roll is meant to be.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    @Sasquatch_Bob  - Your studios are brilliant and you are an exceptional host. We WILL be back - in force.

If anyone else wants to chip in more for Bob’s efforts then please do - the work he’s put in is phenomenal. 

However, I don’t like you anymore cos you are a better bass player than me, and now everyone is mercilessly ripping the piss because I forgot to play the only bass solo of the day in All Right Now. I have taken up the triangle and will only play on Oasis numbers in future 
  • @Bridgehouse To be fair it's only one of the most famous bass runs in rock and very easy to forget  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Bridgehouse To be fair it's only one of the most famous bass runs in rock and very easy to forget  ;)
    Meh. I had a busy day and I hadn’t had me ready brek 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @Bridgehouse To be fair it's only one of the most famous bass runs in rock and very easy to forget  ;)
    I say let him off.

When we jammed in Walsall a few years ago, you, me, 'Beagle' and @not_the_dj ; ended 'Mr Big' just as @jonnybradford was about to step up for one of the other-most-famous-bass-solo-in-rock...
    Legs astride, primed and ready and then, "Badum-tish" the song is over!
    I will NEVER forget his face.
    Sorry Jon.

I wish I could have made it to this Jam and met Bob and everyone else.
    Mental health problems are rarely predictable.
    Looking forward to hearing the recordings.

Hopefully next time guys.