Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Question: Who Are The Kids Listening to?

What's Hot

Comments

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited January 2018
    I have all this to look forward to. At the moment it’s great; my two daughters, 5 and 1, love dancing to 50’s rock’n’roll, same as I did at their age. I’ve bought the eldest a (pink) ukelele to prime her interest in guitar; she says it’s a magic one that she has to play left handed or else we will all be turned into snails. Anyway,  no matter what we as parents try I’m sure media and their friends will have a far greater influence. I just hope they won’t be listening to ‘Bradford - Blazer Boccle!’ soon! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Son (21) Noisy heavy unpleasant music mostly
    Son (19) No music at all

Daughters (16 & 13) Find all their music on Youtube. They aren't into any 'artists' but listen to tons of Anime music. Songs they like they don't even know who sings it! It seems like the modern way, music with no 'attachment'.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I have all this to look forward to. At the moment it’s great; my two daughters, 5 and 1, love dancing to 50’s rock’n’roll, same as I did at their age. I’ve bought the eldest a (pink) ukelele to prime her interest in guitar; she says it’s a magic one that she has to play left handed or else we will all be turned into snails. Anyway,  no matter what we as parents try I’m sure media and their friends will have a far greater influence. I just hope they won’t be listening to ‘Bradford - Blazer Boccle!’ soon! 
    My God - so it's not just me then...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited January 2018
    I drive students around all day...and I have to listen to some absolute toss. Grime, but the very dregs of it. Bedroom produced wank with barely articulate white boys pretending to be black gangsters on the run from the "Feds". It's utterly soul destroying.

Just because I have to suffer, here's a sample so you can feel my pain. This was one they played yesterday.

Listen to Bradford - Blazer Boccle, Kid C, Curly, K Don, Young Alertz - KODH TV Cypher by KODH TV | LIVE Music #np on #SoundCloud
    I have no intention of pressing play. Luckily I don’t have to, as I can tell just from the ‘artists’ names that it’s going to be a massive bag of wank. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We desperately need a new guitar hero!
    No we don't! We need guitars to come down in price, which is exactly what'll happen when the old fellas hoarding the expensive ones pop their clogs and there are too many on the market
    Well that as well but where are the guitar based rock bands in the charts? When was the last time you saw a music video with a guitar solo?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27579
    Emp_Fab said:
    The current musical landscape has become one giant Wal-Mart store with endless shelves filled with generic mass-produced cack from corporations and 'producers'.  Sod all from real songwriters or musicians anymore.  Listen to the current Top 40
    Listen to the top 40 from any period in which it has existed. It has always been mostly crap - sure, you might be able to find a week or there when there were more decent songs than average, but the charts have never been where good music is found.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Neill said:
    I drive students around all day...and I have to listen to some absolute toss. Grime, but the very dregs of it. Bedroom produced wank with barely articulate white boys pretending to be black gangsters on the run from the "Feds". It's utterly soul destroying.

Just because I have to suffer, here's a sample so you can feel my pain. This was one they played yesterday.

Listen to Bradford - Blazer Boccle, Kid C, Curly, K Don, Young Alertz - KODH TV Cypher by KODH TV | LIVE Music #np on #SoundCloud
    I don't swear much as a rule, but fucking hell...
    Congratulations...you articulated yourself better than anyone on the track. It's utter toss

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If anything though, all this synthetic and soulless stuff we currently have could well lead to a rebellion style just around the corner to respond to it. After the 80s synth crap we got grunge. There's hope yet
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • If anything though, all this synthetic and soulless stuff we currently have could well lead to a rebellion style just around the corner to respond to it. After the 80s synth crap we got grunge. There's hope yet
    That's what I think as well.  An earlier example in my opinion was the emergence of Dire Straits just as punk, with it's "anti guitar hero" stance was starting to fade.  Stevie Ray Vaughan followed closely and that helped as well.  I should add, I liked a lot of punk but it was not very challenging from a players point of view. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Yeah exactly, I'd say I'm probably more influenced by what I dislike than what I like when I try to compose new stuff, because I don't want to sound like that. It only takes some people with actual talent to start something and these things can take off surprisingly quickly
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    My daughter listens to King Krule. Have you heard him? He sounds like he's drunk.

https://youtu.be/LL_iUj-mQfg
    Man, that stuff is dire! I fast forwarded 5 times, and every stop I just wanted to kill myself.

If that stuff is considered music then I'd say literally anyone could be a musician.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited January 2018
    This seems to sum it up ( if the cut and paste works.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhitePeopleTwitter/comments/7u1720/and_the_grammy_goes_to/?utm_source=reddit-android

Hmmm not what I expected.
  • I assume that if Martin make Ed Shearan signature models, that he must be an influential current guitarist
  • I'm just searching for songs, every song I looked at by Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars and Jason Mraz involve a capo.  I prefer songs that don't require a capo for absolute beginners.   Playing them without a capo means they can't play along with the song and transposing introduces difficult bar chords.  Back to the drawing board......

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• axisus said:
    My daughter listens to King Krule. Have you heard him? He sounds like he's drunk.

https://youtu.be/LL_iUj-mQfg
    Man, that stuff is dire! I fast forwarded 5 times, and every stop I just wanted to kill myself.

If that stuff is considered music then I'd say literally anyone could be a musician.

I like to think that I'm fairly open to weird and abstract stuff, interpretive or whatever you want to call it. But that was effing awful
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I'm just searching for songs, every song I looked at by Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars and Jason Mraz involve a capo.  I prefer songs that don't require a capo for absolute beginners.   Playing them without a capo means they can't play along with the song and transposing introduces difficult bar chords.  Back to the drawing board......
    Out of curiosity, why? A capo isn't expensive and is a useful thing for any player to have - and with many 'beginner' guitars, makes them much easier to play because it takes the usually over-high nut out of the equation. (Although admittedly then often requiring re-tuning.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    I'm just searching for songs, every song I looked at by Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars and Jason Mraz involve a capo.  I prefer songs that don't require a capo for absolute beginners.   Playing them without a capo means they can't play along with the song and transposing introduces difficult bar chords.  Back to the drawing board......
    Out of curiosity, why? A capo isn't expensive and is a useful thing for any player to have - and with many 'beginner' guitars, makes them much easier to play because it takes the usually over-high nut out of the equation. (Although admittedly then often requiring re-tuning.)
    It's just one more thing I'd rather not add to the students learning process until they're a little farther along.  Plus, as cheap as capos are they're still another expense.  I like it better when a student asks me what a capo is.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Not sure you'll see too many guitars in mainstream pop music again - it takes time and effort to the learn the guitar and kids these days are too busy with their social lives. They are also force fed the idea that been a cool singer/rapper or whatever is where you want to be and that success can be had in five minutes, or via the X-Factor.

My guitar teacher (in 2016) bemoaned the fact that he wasn't getting many young kids coming through with a desire to master the instrument. Most wanted to learn a few chords so they could strum an acoustic and sing before they moved on to EDM etc.

The only area which is defying the trend is metal music ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Been thinking about this thread...
    Why would anyone want to learn to play the guitar if they don’t listen to guitar-centric/guitar based music? I don’t get it.
  • AlexC said:
    Been thinking about this thread...
    Why would anyone want to learn to play the guitar if they don’t listen to guitar-centric/guitar based music? I don’t get it.
    You say that, but think of the millions of teaching hours in schools every year, getting kids to play the recorder. 

When was the last time you saw a recorder used in anything except a school concert? Does anyone continue to play it after school age? 

I say those are wasted hours that should be spent teaching them an instrument that actually gets used in the real world. 

Not that it's relevant, I saw on the news last night that "Arts" funding for schools is to be cut again. What's fuck all less another 20% again? :(

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you