Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot

Comments

• rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    Kebabkid said:
    So, for the guys that already have the Helix and have used it with an amp, are you saying that by disabling the amp modelling, speaker sims etc and using it as an 'FX only' unit there's a perceived change in tone or tone suck?

That's how I used mine for the first couple of gigs I did with it before switching to FRFR and I didn't notice any tone suck. I thought it integrated really well with my amp. It took a while playing round with the level settings for the fx loops etc. when first setting it up for 4CM but once that was done I was really happy with it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    Ah, gotcha - I had not thought of using a preamp model instead of the amp's preamp.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Cabicular said:
    They do as far as I could tell

Eeeeek. That's the helix's weakest point for me, being an effects only board
    In what way?  When I first got mine that's how I used it, and it sounded great 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    John_A said:
    Cabicular said:

Yeah I’m not sure what you think this device is @meltedbuzzbox ;
  • Cabicular said:
    John_A said:
    Cabicular said:

Yeah I’m not sure what you think this device is @meltedbuzzbox ;
    The helix/helix lt running as an effects only pedal board through an amp is what I am referring to
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ^ and what's wrong with it in that application? Sounds great to me
  • Question on the outputs in 4cm
    I guess one of the features is that a signal with ir can be sent straight to desk/pa while another signal goes back to the amp return.
    If you wanted to send the stereo outputs to the pa. Would you then use a send for the amp on a parallel path? 
    Or would you be limited to mono if running it both ways?
  • John_A said:
    ^ and what's wrong with it in that application? Sounds great to me
    It doesn't to me. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Always find it strange when guys hang around in threads about bits of kit they don’t rate just to tell other how shit they think it is
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited January 2018
    Always find it strange when guys hang around in threads about bits of kit they don’t rate just to tell other how shit they think it is
    I don't, it's a discussion after all. Not like he's being an Ro_S about it or anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Always find it strange when guys hang around in threads about bits of kit they don’t rate just to tell other how shit they think it is
    I don't, it's a discussion after all. Not like he's being an Ro_S about it or anything.
    FWIW - I'd agree about the effects in Helix, the drives in particular are the usual Line6 fayre, which sound "ok" but they aren't great and sound a bit flat compared to real analogue boxes. To be fair to Line6, they are useable but I'm not a fan.

But like @meltedbuzzbox I've found it works great as an amp modeller for recording - I've been plugging my pedal board into it for recording and it sounds great as platform (Vox and HiWatt models).

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Er. As a helix owner I think @meltedbuzzbox is most definitely entited to his opinion and can talk about his way of using helix, what works for him and what doesn't. 
  • Always find it strange when guys hang around in threads about bits of kit they don’t rate just to tell other how shit they think it is
    Its a forum?

I love the device as a recording interface (after tweaking), I'm pleased as punch that the m series stuff has been added.

I don't think the effects are as amazing as some people make them out to be (and judging from the amount of people that utilise the fx loops I might not be the only one), but that's my opinion and I am entitled to it. 

I don't think the effects are as amazing as some people make them out to be (and judging from the amount of people that utilise the fx loops I might not be the only one), but that's my opinion and I am entitled to it. 
    The individual blocks are fine. For me it's how you can combine them with the multiple paths that elevates the Helix above much of the competition (full fat AxeFX aside, for example).
  • Sporky said:

The individual blocks are fine. For me it's how you can combine them with the multiple paths that elevates the Helix above much of the competition (full fat AxeFX aside, for example).
    It's flexibility is brilliant. Fudging the fx loop has been handy for dry/wet recordings.

The thing is I still have my pedals/pedalboard as I was wary about getting a helix again. I do have the luxury of comparison and unsurprisingly I do prefer my pedals over the helix effects. But that's expected after years of flipping and experimenting etc. And as mentioned above they come in handy with the loop.

I'm not knocking all the inbuilt effects but equally I do think a few are sub par. Particularly drives, but drives seem to be a very personal thing. Hence why everyone has a different drive pedal in the show us your pedal board thread.

I've not used an axefx so I can't comment on that.
    I found a couple of drives on the Helix that do what I need so I was ok. The Rat and the Industrial Fuzz cover most of what I need.
  • My main drives are a Rat, Timmy and Soul Food, so I’m really hopeful this will tick those boxes. Going to have to AB them all though - selling up then having to buy it all back isn’t something I want to do!
    Going to have to AB them all though
    Why?

The Helix ones will either be good enough to use or won't. This just sounds like you're deliberately setting yourself up for disappointment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My main drives are a Rat, Timmy and Soul Food, so I’m really hopeful this will tick those boxes. Going to have to AB them all though - selling up then having to buy it all back isn’t something I want to do!
    Don’t A/B

just try the digital ones and if they are good enough you’ll know soon enough 

A/B’ing will melt your brain

• Sporky said:
    Going to have to AB them all though
    Why?

The Helix ones will either be good enough to use or won't. This just sounds like you're deliberately setting yourself up for disappointment.
    My main drives are a Rat, Timmy and Soul Food, so I’m really hopeful this will tick those boxes. Going to have to AB them all though - selling up then having to buy it all back isn’t something I want to do!
    Don’t A/B

just try the digital ones and if they are good enough you’ll know soon enough 

A/B’ing will melt your brain

So the logic is here... no sorry I can’t figure it out. Why wouldn’t I try both side by side to see if there’s a big difference and whether I have a preference? I’m not expecting them to be identical.