Blue Chip - tried to debunk, failed

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    edited January 2018
    I'm a sucker for new picks, and I've been round them all - as much as I wish I could find something as good for less money, the BCs are clear winners for me too. I have maybe ten by now, mainly the large jazz ones like the Dunlop Jazz III XLs, but also a couple of others like the Chris Thiele one. 

I do like the Wolframs though too - at first I thought they were too dull and scratchy but there's something really appealing about them on the top strings of an acoustic. I tried one of their seventy quid ones and thought it was shite though. 

I just ordered one of the Rabea signature pics from Hawk to try too, as the spec looks perfect for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Quite difficult working out the different ranges and types. Any recommendations for acoustic guitar/mandolin/bouzouki?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    How much ?!!!!!!!!!!! Blimey - they make Wegen seem cheap ! :o
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Jalapeno said:
    Try one on acoustic if you get the chance.

Then come back and tell us which one you bought :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Jalapeno said:
    Indeed they do...on every level. :)
  • I bought a Jazz LG 60 a couple off weeks ago from JP Guitars, and liked it a lot. He's now got more stock in, so I've bought a second one. I've used Red Bears in the past, and more recently tried Wolfram. Of the three, I prefer the Blue Chip  - I particularly like the ease with which I can keep control of the pick.
    I bought one from the States recently - which proved to be a bit of an error as they charged £16 customs duty, so in total it came to about £50! It's a very nice pick, but worth £50? I don't think so personally. £20 seems about right to me. 
  • domforr said:
    I bought one from the States recently - which proved to be a bit of an error as they charged £16 customs duty, so in total it came to about £50! It's a very nice pick, but worth £50? I don't think so personally. £20 seems about right to me. 
    It won’t feel so bad when you’re still using it in three years’ time...just don’t lose it! ;)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    domforr said:
    It won’t feel so bad when you’re still using it in three years’ time...just don’t lose it! ;)
    I dropped my wegen pick the other day, on a dark floor. Being white I found it easy, if it'd been a BC I'd still be looking I reckon.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

domforr said:
    I feel it's too valuable to actually use, so I may put it in a safe box somewhere :)
  • I have, at long last and after much searching, found something I think sounds and plays as well as a Blue Chip - Hawk Picks, UK made, about £12-£14 a pop. Whether or not they last as long, I don't know, but they are brilliant picks
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited January 2018
    I have, at long last and after much searching, found something I think sounds and plays as well as a Blue Chip - Hawk Picks, UK made, about £12-£14 a pop. Whether or not they last as long, I don't know, but they are brilliant picks
    I bought a Hawk recently. Similarly to my experience of other bevelled picks that aren’t BCs, I found I had to spend time filing and polishing what was a pretty sharp rearward edge of the bevel to get something approaching the smooth sound I like from BCs. Sounds good now that’s done, but I found myself thinking that if I incorporated some value for my time and effort, and the likelihood it’s not going to last as long as a BC, it’s probably only a marginal saving. Still, good picks and if you like that sharper sound then maybe perfect, as some people find BCs lack a certain bite.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I have, at long last and after much searching, found something I think sounds and plays as well as a Blue Chip - Hawk Picks, UK made, about £12-£14 a pop. Whether or not they last as long, I don't know, but they are brilliant picks
    Just ordered one.  See what it's like.

I like the way they actually give you the dimensions on their site.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Agree, Hawks are definitely worth looking at. I have a few - very nicely made.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    I have a mando hawk, I'd say it's slightly brighter than the mando wegen I have, but not a lot in it. It looks fantastic though. I'm looking forwards to trying it against a BC.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    domforr said:
    £20 seems about right to me. 
    Which, in fairness, is what they do cost if one is buying in the US (USD 35). 
  • Lewy said:
    I bought a Hawk recently. Similarly to my experience of other bevelled picks that aren’t BCs, I found I had to spend time filing and polishing what was a pretty sharp rearward edge of the bevel to get something approaching the smooth sound I like from BCs. Sounds good now that’s done, but I found myself thinking that if I incorporated some value for my time and effort, and the likelihood it’s not going to last as long as a BC, it’s probably only a marginal saving. Still, good picks and if you like that sharper sound then maybe perfect, as some people find BCs lack a certain bite.
    I bought two, there first being the Rabea signature one. I prefer it because it doesn't have that sharpness you mention