Recommend me a robust but affordable mic stand

What's Hot
As per...

I've got a couple of cheap ones at the moment, which I use for my youth group sessions for the council. They get treated pretty roughly and the constant undoing / adjusting (see also; forcing without undoing!) by the kids is taking its toll add they're going a little droopy. Rather than keep replacing them I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent stand, preferably boom/tripod style, with wick release / tensioned moving parts so they don't get constantly wrecked. 

Budget minimal, as it comes off my bottom line although obviously I'm looking at an annual cost vs benefit.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7735
    K & M, best to buy once IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Worth a call to some of the big hire companies up there and see what they’ve got on their dogpile as it’s charity ish

if not buy Hercules
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    + 1 on K&M, @Winny_Pooh is absolutely right, but mark it with some bright paint under the legs so some PA hire or rehearsal studio don't assume it's thier stock.
    The great thing about K&M is that it's hard wearing and even if it wears out you can get spares easily and it lasts a lifetime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gravity stands are excellent value for money
  • There seem to be a few K&M stands. I can't see one with qr joints or am I missing a trick? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    They are all quick release, the booms when you unscrew the knob, the uprights when you unscrew the shaft ring. The reason stands get floppy is because people grab the boom and bend it where they want it and expect it to stay there, this buggers them up faster than anything.
    Quick tip, if you have a droopy boom stand take the screw right out of the joint then flip/reverse the rubber inserts so they use the other side to grip. Re assemble and you get some further use (even if just until another plonker pulls it.)

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I've got a K&M and a Hercules -- both have held up well .

• EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    We use Studiospares stands. They are very robust and last for ages. Also, spare parts are easily available. Cheap too.