The first Concert I ever went to

What's Hot
ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
SOUNDED exactly like this but with a crowd and Eddy and the Hot Rods thrown in and a band
called Pinpoint but can't remember exactly but the ticket cost 2 or 3 quid..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    The first proper gig I went to was The Explorers, at Birmingham University Students Union in 1985.

Never heard of them? They were a short-lived band comprising Phil Manzanera and Andy Mackay, ex-Roxy Music, and singer James Wraith. I’m sure you’re still none the wiser!

https://youtu.be/ONn7mWlXhic

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited February 2018
    Royal Blood
    November 2014 - Camden Electric Ballroom

(am somewhere in this crowd sticking out like a sore thumb from Thornton Heath)
    This girl I was dating back then took me...
    I had more fun after the concert at her place if I'm honest, but she was into them/into me, the band's alright I guess - I like what they do with a bass, but, that seems to be all they do, she bought the tickets.
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited February 2018
    That's probably the only time I've gone to see a show, was when someone took me and I was eager for after.

IDK, I guess I'd rather perform than see a live show, but these things could be fun days/nights out.
  • My first gig was All About Eve on the Scarlet tour. This was at the Manchester Apollo in 1989. Not having been to a proper gig before I was quite unprepared for how loud it was.  Great gig though, and not a bad way to start.  

This was back when Tim was still in the band and I remember how great his playing was. Being 16 and a big AAE fan obviously I was  also completely in love with Julianne. 

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    My first gig was Elvis Costello and The Attractions on Canvey Island. It must have been around the time of the Armed Forces album. Very tight band.  A fight broke out, Elvis paused the concert, said he wasn't going to continue until it stopped and said "this is why bands don't come to Canvey". 
  • My friend’s brother had a band that did mostly Judas Priest covers and I saw them somewhere. They had a mate who came out part way through and did fire breathing and set light to the curtains and the gig got shut down.
    I also had a mate who was a good drummer ( as I recall it anyway, but he ended up playing drums for a living in RAF bands so I guess he was) and they did covers and I used to ‘roadie’ for him in his covers band . So either his band or the fire breathing people. 

First name band was Thin Lizzy at Stafford Bingley Hall on 18/12/1979. 

https://goo.gl/images/kBkGGk
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My first gig, if festivals count, was going to Reading Festival in 1993 as a naive 16 year old. Being from a rural desert of culture, it blew my young mind. Friday night ended with Rage Against The Machine tearing the place up. A hell of an introduction to live music. 

https://youtu.be/gHmCsOpnUvU
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Another Elvis Costello here. Imperial Bedroom tour, 1982 at Hemel Hempstead Pavilion. I'd been a huge fan since I was 11 (a few years earlier) so was probably too awestruck to be very objective about it. Enjoyed it, obviously.

One odd memory is the guy dancing wildly at the front who was a regular customer at the music shop I started work at a few months after the gig (and for the next 20 years).
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My first gig ever was Linkin Park with Lostprophets as support. This was way back in November 2003. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    Think my first concert was to see the Shadows playing a nightclub in Blackburn mid-60s. I remember the surreal excitement in me to actually see them live after only seeing them on B&W TV & in the "The Young Ones" film at the cinema. ..wow, these guys were famous icons!! There used to be a music shop close by hosting a cardboard cut-out full sized Hank Marvin displaying a genuine fiesta red strat for 100 guineas (=£105) ....oh laa, I wished!...I could only afford a Hofner solid V3 back then, which I played thru a Watkins "Joker" ....but I eventually managed to buy my fiesta strat 27 years ago! 
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Millennium Stadium 2004. Same tour the Live at Hyde park album was recorded from. 

I'm a fan of the Chili's don't get me wrong.. or was, at a time in my life.. 

But what sold it for me, and made it possibly the most epic first gig on record.. was the appearance of the man himself. 

Maybe i'm not as vintage as some of you guys  ;).. But this guy, and my taste, certainly is. 

Fond memories.  <3

''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • Saw the Deftones at the QMU in Glasgow when they were touring "Around the Fur". 

The support was Wil Haven. 

Teenage me was blown away. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    All you young lads and your beat combos.

My first concert was the massed brass bands of Grimethorpe colliery, Carleton Main and the Black Dyke Mills in 1968.

Proper music. 
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neill said:
    All you young lads and your beat combos.

My first concert was the massed brass bands of Grimethorpe colliery, Carleton Main and the Black Dyke Mills in 1968.

Proper music. 
    .. i did a brief stint selling opium at Mozart gigs in the 1750's if that helps.  ;)  
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    The Alarm, Poole Arts Centre, 1985. Closely formllowed by the Damned a few months later.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4288
    The Manics, Brixton Academy 1994. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Hawkwind, Swansea Brangwyn Hall, December 10, 1979.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    DiscoStu said:
    I saw the London date that was released on video. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    As a erynyoung kid i saw Ottawan play at a Christmas party in 79. I went the the glc farewell paty in 85 that was attacked by Nazi skins. I don't remember any trouble but do remember see8ng Latin Quarter play. First actual gig was UK Fresh 86. Dj cheese and word of mouth. Sir mixalot. The real Roxanne. World class Wrecking crew. Captain rock. Steady b.