Japan

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited January 2018 in Music
Having rediscovered how deeply ingrained Ghosts by Japan is in my psyche, I thought I would post their albums in this thread for everyone else to explore.

I hadn't listened to their first two albums before (not keen TBH, although the seeds are there)), they are somewhat of their time (Sylvian does punk!  o ), as they all are I guess.

Edit: First discovery was actually through Quiet life, (not as I originally wrote here ~ "as I originally discovered them with Tin Drum (& Ghosts unsurprisingly)", still it was a long time ago...

I thought I would post them in release order anyway.

There is still something fresh in their approach IMO, viewed from this current age of homogenised music (again IMO).

Ghosts was originally posted in my "Your favourite track ~ right now ?" (linked below)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Japan performing 'Ghosts' from their 1981 album 'Tin Drum' on the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1982. Guest musician: Ryuichi Sakamoto

SORRY I didn't realise you have to go to YouTube to watch the OGWT version, so I've posted the album version below it.

Duration 4:47

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij089OiN8cc

Duration 4:33

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOW4-oWnDPw

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116883/your-favourite-track-right-now#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2018
    The band began as a group of friends in 1974. Brothers David Sylvian (guitar and vocals) and Steve Jansen (drums), keyboardist Richard Barbieri and bassist Mick Karn studied at the same school, Catford Boys', Brownhill Road, South London. As youngsters they played Sylvian's two-chord numbers mainly as a means of escape; sometimes with Karn as the front man, sometimes with Sylvian at the fore.

The band, who were initially nameless, opted to call themselves Japan just before their first live gig in the mid-1970s. The name was intended by Sylvian to be temporary until they could think of something else, but ultimately became permanent. The following year they were joined by lead guitarist Rob Dean, and signed a recording contract with the German disco label Hansa-Ariola in 1977, becoming an alternative glam rock outfit in the mould of Lou Reed, David Bowie, T.Rex, Roxy Music, and The New York Dolls although their initial material was guitar-based funk.

After winning a label-sponsored talent contest, they were signed to Germany's Ariola-Hansa Records in 1977 and debuted a year later with a pair of LPs, Adolescent Sex and Obscure Alternatives, which received little notice at home or in the U.S. but did find favor among Japanese audiences.

edited January 2018
    Japan ~ Adolescent Sex

Duration 47:50

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ36ZAOr_VQ

Release date: March 1978
    Producer: Ray Singer
    Label: Ariola Hansa

1. Transmission (00:00)
    2. Unconventional (04:50)
    3. Wish You Were Black (07:56)
    4. Performance (12:47)
    5. Lovers On The Main Street (17:25)
    6. Don't Rain On My Parade (21:35)
    7. Suburban Love (24:31)
    8. Adolescent Sex (32:00)
    9. Communist China (35:45)
    10. Television (38:32)

Japan ~ Obscure Alternatives

Duration

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn7ZNw_Yryo

Label: Ariola Hansa ‎– AHALH 8007
    Release Date: 27 Oct 1978

1. Automatic Gun (00:00)
    2. Rhodesia (04:08)
    3. Love Is Infectious (10:58)
    4. Sometimes I Feel So Low (15:11)
    5. Obscure Alternatives (18:54)
    6. Deviation (25:50)
    7. Suburban Berlin (29:14)
    8. The Tenant (34:48)

David Sylvian – vocals, guitars, keyboards (1974–1982, 1990–1991)
    Mick Karn – bass guitars, saxophone, backing vocals (1974–1982, 1990–1991; died 2011 RIP)
    Steve Jansen – drums, percussion, keyboards (1974–1982, 1990–1991)
    Richard Barbieri – keyboards, synthesisers (1974–1982, 1990–1991)
    Rob Dean – guitars, backing vocals (1975–1981)

Live personnel:
    Jane Shorter – saxophone (1979-1980)
    David Rhodes – guitars (1981)
    Masami Tsuchiya – guitars, keyboards (1982)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Richard Barbieri moved on to become the keyboardist for progressive rock band Porcupine Tree, a role he has filled since 1995's The Sky Moves Sideways. Although band members would work with each other again on various individual projects (including Sylvian and Jansen's Nine Horses project), no further full Japan reunions were planned in any form.

Throughout the 1990s Karn, Jansen and Barbieri reunited in instrumental projects with different guitarists such as David Torn and Steve Wilson.

Somehow there seems to be a link through to Steve Wilson and Porcupine Tree, for me at least.

Twenty years after their reunion as Rain Tree Crow,
    Mick Karn died from cancer in January 2011 RIP  

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    In the unlikely event I’ll ever be invited on Desert Island Discs then Ghosts is always the starting point for my 8 tracks.
    I don’t know the band’s output in detail but there are some superb individual tracks like Ghosts and Talking Drum. David Sylvian’s album Gone to Earth ( I think that’s right) is a superb extension to the Japan catalogue as well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Japan ~ Quiet life

(This is where the story started for me)

Duration 52:08

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2GyO7mrd_I

full album + B sides

1. Quiet Life 0:00-4:54
    2. Fall In Love with Me 4:55-9:32
    3. Despair 9:35-15:34
    4. In Vogue 15:36-22:07
    5. Halloween 22:11-26:35
    6. All Tomorrow's Parties 26:38-32:22
    7. Alien 32:24-37:29
    8. The Other Side of Life 37:30-44:53
    9. Life in Tokyo 44:54-48:26
    10. European Son 48:27-52:08

edited January 2018
    In the unlikely event I’ll ever be invited on Desert Island Discs then Ghosts is always the starting point for my 8 tracks.
    I don’t know the band’s output in detail but there are some superb individual tracks like Ghosts and Talking Drum. David Sylvian’s album Gone to Earth ( I think that’s right) is a superb extension to the Japan catalogue as well. 
    Well said !

I haven't heard Gone to Earth, so thanks for your recommendation @EricTheWeary ;;.  I think I need to explore David Sylvian's back catalogue more thoroughly.  (off to YT land again)  

Edit:  ~  and, believe it or not, there it is on my YT recommendations, result !

• One guitar I've always wanted was the one Rob Dean played on Whistle Test in 1980 (I think the tracks were My New Career and Swing): A Gibson RD Artist, a slightly curvier Explorer with active pickups (although that wasn't obvious on the telly, of course). The only other person I'm aware of playing one is the Japanese singer Shiina Ringo, who's made it her signature guitar. 

(Actually, I think I prefer Shiina's white to Dean's sunburst, but still, his slinky Ebow playing on Swing is still groovy.)

I must confess my recent snark has been that Gentlemen Take Polaroids is my favourite Duran Duran record.
  • (Firebird-like, not Explorer-like, obvs.)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Well said !

I haven't heard Gone to Earth, so thanks for your recommendation @EricTheWeary ;;.  I think I need to explore David Sylvian's back catalogue more thoroughly.  (off to YT land again)  

Edit:  ~  and, believe it or not, there it is on my YT recommendations, result !
    Not a lot of hummable tunes but very atmospheric. I had it on the other week and was surprised at how much guitar there actually was as well. 
    Japan ~ Gentlemen Take Polaroids

Duration 46:34

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiaEQ7cnzT0

1. Gentlemen Take Polaroids (0:00) 
    2. Swing (7:07) 
    3. Burning Bridges (13:34) 
    4. My New Career (18:54) 
    5. Methods of Dance (22:47) 
    6. Ain't That Peculiar (29:41) 
    7. Nightporter (34:22) 
    8. Taking Islands in Africa (41:20)

• Adolescent Sex is a marvellous album I have it on vinyl still gets a regular listen.
  • Anyone know the name of the Japan album that has one side which is a bit late 70's rock and then morphs into the Japan style (heavy bass) that made them famous. A mate had it many years ago and it was an interesting look at how band's evolve.

• This always reminds me of Japan (although it's apparently Gary Numan)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone know the name of the Japan album that has one side which is a bit late 70's rock and then morphs into the Japan style (heavy bass) that made them famous. A mate had it many years ago and it was an interesting look at how band's evolve.

That could be Assemblage which was an early compilation album
    Adolescent Sex is a marvellous album I have it on vinyl still gets a regular listen.
    Thanks for the recommendation, embarrassingly, I still haven't got round to listening to it yet.  I'll try and put a bit of time by later, once the day's duties are done, cheers...  :)

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    One of my favourite bands of all time. First discovered them when I was about 16 and got the Assemblage album. Then went and got the albums proper. Brilliant musicians.
    edited February 2018
    Japan ~ Tin Drum

Duration 38:00

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kct2Z8S2Qo

A1 The Art Of Parties 00:00:00.00
    A2 Talking Drum 00:04:08.00
    A3 Ghosts 00:07:34.00
    A4 Canton 00:11:55.00
    B1 Still Life In Mobile Homes 00:17:15.00
    B2 Visions Of China 00:22:45.00
    B3 Sons Of Pioneers 00:26:17.00
    B4 Cantonese Boy 00:33:15.00

PRODUCED BY STEVE NYE, JAPAN
    Engineered by Steve Nye

DAVID SYLVIAN – vocals, guitar, keyboard, keyboard programming, tapes, cover concept
    MICK KARN – fretless bass guitar, African flute, dida
    STEVE JANSEN – acoustic drums, electronic drums, keyboard percussion
    RICHARD BARBIERI – keyboard, keyboard programming, tapes

Yuka Fujii – backing vocals
    Simon House – violin
    Steve Joule – design
    Phil Bodger – assistant engineer
    Fin Costello – photography

Label: Virgin – V2209
    Format: Vinyl LP
    Released: 28 Nov 1981

• I had quite a strong memory of seeing Sylvian on tv doing an acoustic version of Ghosts. This was probably it, not quite perfect but the song writing, the voice and his gorgeous looks all there.

https://youtu.be/ZGCB6Fyn58M
  • An interesting version of Ghosts there @EricTheWeary , I hadn't heard that before.  The occasional awkwardness of the vocals over guitar shows how his time feel and relaxed  delivery is so important to the song.  It also doesn't resolve into simple guitar chords very well IMO.  That atmospheric complexity is every bit as much at the heart of the song as the vocal lines.

Having said all that, I really enjoyed listening to it, and I also learnt a lot from the experience, cheers  :)