Digitech Freqout

What's Hot
Anyone any experience with these? 

I ordered one months ago and sent it back because I thought it was faulty - it was wholly inconsistent and unpredictable - sometimes providing feedback and other times, in exactly the same circumstances. providing nothing - 

I got my replacement unit yesterday - and its exactly the same - I think the chances of getting two faulty units are slim (from different suppliers). It frequently fails to produce feedback.................

what I am I doing wrong?

Cheers all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BMSBMS Frets: 28
    That's odd. The Freqout is so much fun, although it doesn't produce insanely long sustained feedback notes without the help of other effects, I find. Do you have a lot of pedals before it or per chance a really low input signal? Where is the monetary and dry switches positioned? 
  • BMS said:
    That's odd. The Freqout is so much fun, although it doesn't produce insanely long sustained feedback notes without the help of other effects, I find. Do you have a lot of pedals before it or per chance a really low input signal? Where is the monetary and dry switches positioned? 
    Thanks for getting back to me @bms I've tried it without anything other than the Freqout in the signal path and every combination of the monetary and dry switch.....

I cannot get it to produce feedback on a consistent basis and I cant work out what the variables are when it works and when it doesn't!!!

Strange....

• BMSBMS Frets: 28
    Do you have the capacity to film its behaviour? I've noticed the DigitechRep is incredibly helpful on other forums, but not sure if he visits here. 
  • It requires a hefty 235ma, is it getting enough power? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thanks @bms didn't think of that. Yeah - I'll get a video done - hopefully in the week but maybe a the weekend - I actually I am getting my gear out Monday for a gig at a wake (So weird - not sure how its going to go......)

@Erictheweary typically I've been powering it off my fuel tank junior - but I've also tried it as the only thing in the signal path with its own 9v adapter - whats 235ma?

• Anyone any experience with these? 

I ordered one months ago and sent it back because I thought it was faulty - it was wholly inconsistent and unpredictable - sometimes providing feedback and other times, in exactly the same circumstances. providing nothing - 

I got my replacement unit yesterday - and its exactly the same - I think the chances of getting two faulty units are slim (from different suppliers). It frequently fails to produce feedback.................

what I am I doing wrong?

Cheers all
    I bought one over Christmas, and didnt try it for long, but had the same findings as you.

So wanted to,like it, but the FQ maining produced erratic space age noises ! Sent it back
  • Thanks @bms didn't think of that. Yeah - I'll get a video done - hopefully in the week but maybe a the weekend - I actually I am getting my gear out Monday for a gig at a wake (So weird - not sure how its going to go......)

@Erictheweary typically I've been powering it off my fuel tank junior - but I've also tried it as the only thing in the signal path with its own 9v adapter - whats 235ma?

It needs 235 milliamperes of power to run properly.* The Fuel Tank Jr* only has 120ma per outlet so it may never work properly off that ( although you can buy a little adapter to use two outlets at once). However, presumably the Digitech supplied 9v power supply is adequate so that may be a red herring. 

I did google problems with them and the almost reverse issue to yours seemed to be the main problem; when you run it into an amp and you get a mix of the Freqout and actual feedback it becomes a very loud, uncontrollable noise. 

* figures off manufacturers websites. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Yeah, it sounds to me like it's just not getting enough juice. The Freqout and the Ricochet are both pretty thirsty (200ma+). 
  • If it doesn't work  off the supplied PSU it really would be odd if that didn't provide enough power. However, if it is the power for £7 you could buy a current doubler adapter but you'd be taking up two outs on the fuel tank jr. 

I'm quite surprised at how much power it needs. That's about the same as a tc X4 for example. 
  • If it doesn't work  off the supplied PSU it really would be odd if that didn't provide enough power. However, if it is the power for £7 you could buy a current doubler adapter but you'd be taking up two outs on the fuel tank jr. 

I'm quite surprised at how much power it needs. That's about the same as a tc X4 for example. 
    It doesn't come with a PSU - but the MXR 90 I bought on the same day does so I'll give it a go with that and see it power is the issue - this will happen tomorrow when the kids aren't in bed! 

Appreciate the help as always....
  • I enjoyed mine when I got it. Uses same PSU as Trio-in-a-box, really should get another PSU so I can use both at the same time :)

'Bout time I found a use for it other than just sonic hooliganism
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I enjoyed mine when I got it. Uses same PSU as Trio-in-a-box, really should get another PSU so I can use both at the same time :)

'Bout time I found a use for it other than just sonic hooliganism
    Sorry mate - will you break that down for me please? You have one? and it worked well with what PSU? 

Cheers....

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited February 2018
    If it doesn't work  off the supplied PSU it really would be odd if that didn't provide enough power. However, if it is the power for £7 you could buy a current doubler adapter but you'd be taking up two outs on the fuel tank jr. 

It doesn't come with a PSU - but the MXR 90 I bought on the same day does so I'll give it a go with that and see it power is the issue - this will happen tomorrow when the kids aren't in bed! 

The Phase 90 only needs 5ma apparently. That’s 1/47th of the power needed to power the Freqout! astonished  That’s the sublime to the ridiculous. Or at least an argument in favour of analogue pedals. 

Really sounding like you aren’t giving it enough power then. I was looking at some of the comments on TGP about the Freqout and someone on there had a similar problem with it and had to change power supply ( as his standard one only gave out 100ma) then it was fine.

What’s the PSU that’s in with the Phase 90? From what I’ve googled the common Dunlop one is the ECB003 which provides up to 200ma. Hopefully that will be okay.

BTW it looks like there is a doubler cable thing in with the Fueltank Jr but FFS don’t try that - it’s a voltage doubler ( not a current doubler) and will blow the Freqout up! astonished astonished [apologies if I’m just stating the bleeding obvious]

The Phase 90 only needs 5ma apparently. That’s 1/47th of the power needed to power the Freqout! astonished  That’s the sublime to the ridiculous. Or at least an argument in favour of analogue pedals. 

Really sounding like you aren’t giving it enough power then. I was looking at some of the comments on TGP about the Freqout and someone on there had a similar problem with it and had to change power supply ( as his standard one only gave out 100ma) then it was fine.

What’s the PSU that’s in with the Phase 90? From what I’ve googled the common Dunlop one is the ECB003 which provides up to 200ma. Hopefully that will be okay.

BTW it looks like there is a doubler cable thing in with the Fueltank Jr but FFS don’t try that - it’s a voltage doubler ( not a current doubler) and will blow the Freqout up! astonished astonished [apologies if I’m just stating the bleeding obvious]

'The Phase 90 only needs 5ma apparently. That's 1/47th of the power needed to power the Freqout! -

Actually what that is is some pretty impressive maths!

Its actually the Phase 95 (I couldn't cope with the pop of the EHX bad stone anymore) - but yeah - the power supply is the ECB003. 

The issue is power - I used the PSU from Juno and it works fine! 

I think my solution will be to buy a specific PSU just for the Freqout - the question is which one..... (not a multi power supply)

Oh - and nothing is too obvious to me Eric! This is all new to me - I am a humble drummer playing at this guitar biz.....

Your help is very much appreciated as always. 

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Glad you got it going!
  • DesVegas said:
    Glad you got it going!
    Yes thanks mate - fun pedal! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I think my solution will be to buy a specific PSU just for the Freqout - the question is which one..... (not a multi power supply)

True Tone One Spot will do you fine.

• I think my solution will be to buy a specific PSU just for the Freqout - the question is which one..... (not a multi power supply)

Thank you

Wait isnt that a multiple power source?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2018
    This one has plenty of juice (mA) so you can daisy chain from it if you do need to run multiple pedals, but it's a single output power supply, so used to power a single pedal.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Truetone-1-Spot-9V-Guitar-Pedal-Power-Supply/1PRF?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzrjw8umW2QIVBvEbCh2ucwYlEAQYASABEgL6IvD_BwE