The first Concert I ever went to

What's Hot

Comments

• Mine was Rain Parade supported by The Jazz Butcher at The Electric Ballroom in Camden October 1985.

The band that I'd love to have seen more than any other. I nearly got to see them at the Hills Road 6th Form College, Cambridge, but the gig was cancelled.
    I bloody love the Rain Parade!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Motorhead, Leicester De Montfort Hall, 1991, with support from The Almighty. I was 15 and it was so loud I had to have the rest of the week off school because I couldn't hear a thing
    I was at that gig. I can confirm it was loud.

My first gig was AC/DC at Bingley Hall Stafford in November ‘79 on the Highway To Hell tour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Not entirely sure what the first one I went to was.  Might have been Cliff Richard with my mum.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    I forget exactly, but I think the first live music experience was a free trip to Wembley Arena to see Lauryn Hill, as my mate's dad was a big wig at Revlon or L'Oreal and they were one of the sponsors, so he got some free tickets. 

She was terrible. 

I also saw Barenaked Ladies at Wembley Arena on their Stunt tour in 1999, which was ace. 

The first 'proper' gig I remember going to on my own (because I was able to drive) was New Found Glory at Rock City circa 2001. Ended up losing my shoe on my first crowd surfing experience (got it back!), and they were supported by RX Bandits and Fenix TX, both of whom were fucking ace. 
  • First ever gig was John Denver in the Albert Hall. Front row. My mum was a HUGE fan. 

First "proper" gig was JJ72 at the UAE in Norwich, in 2002 I think. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    As last time ... ELO at Watford Town Hall, joined by Marc Bolan for a jam on Roll Over Beethoven. 1973 <gulp> !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    First ever gig was John Denver in the Albert Hall. Front row. My mum was a HUGE fan. 

Saw JJ72 at the wedgewood rooms in portsmouth, great band.  would have quite liked John Denver too!
  • My very first gig I went to see was Bon Jovi on their New Jersey Tour at Wembley Arena in 1988 with Lita Ford supporting (in more ways that one!). They were supposed to do an encore but as they came out, Richie Sambora tripped on some stage rigging and cracked his head open, so the concert ended rather abruptly.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Tangerine Dream -- 14th November 1976, Fairfield Hall, Croydon

And, cos of this thread I've just found a bootleg of the gig.
    Gonna see if I can get in touch with the mate I went with...

A year later with a Hawkwinds and Pink Floyds under me belt I'm here....
    Everything changed...
    The Ramones, Finsbury Park, 31st Dec 1977

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2018
    Guns'n'roses at Wembley Stadium, 31st Aug 1991 (I was 16).

NIN and Skid Row opening.

• munckee said:
    First ever gig was John Denver in the Albert Hall. Front row. My mum was a HUGE fan. 

Saw JJ72 at the wedgewood rooms in portsmouth, great band.  would have quite liked John Denver too!
    Yeah, ‘twas a cracking night, though obviously I didn’t have a benchmark at that time! 

As for JD, I knew little of guitars at that point but I’m pretty certain it was the first of many sparks that led me down this path..!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Manchester Apollo c.1980 - Def Leppard supported by Magnum and Tygers of Pan Tang.

My ears are still ringing. 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Saw Magnum 2 or 3 times, cracking act - again, old school loud!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    First big gig I went to was Gillan with Janik Gers on guitar in 1981 at Newcastle City Hall with Budgie supporting.  I was 2 rows from the front and 14 years old, when they did Smoke on the Water I got flattened :)

• peteri said:
    Saw Magnum 2 or 3 times, cracking act - again, old school loud!
    I think I've seen them four times over the years. Best was probably at a warm up gig in a small pub in Wolverhampton. Stood about six foot away from them, wonderful evening. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • UB40 at Hammersmith Odeon on the Present Arms tour in 83/84 can't quite remember the year...I was 17/18 at the time.
    They were still a political reggae band then and still to this day one of the best gigs and live bands I've ever seen... and it shaped the rest of my musical life to be honest. I do listen to other music and have a real mixed taste but ska and reggae are my first love and I always come back to it like an old friend...lol
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Marillion 81, pre record deal at Luton tech college Student union bar. Fish was selling tickets on the door for £1. I asked him to sign one of the flier posters and he went and got all the band to sign it as well. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • REM at the Newport Centre, 18th May 1989, supported by The Blue Aeroplanes.  I was about a week away from my 17th birthday, and the whole experience utterly changed my life.

This was the setlist (not my copy, so thank you, internet), and even now, I feel like I can remember every second of it.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Think it was 86, may have been 85. Harlow town park. A few local bands leading up to the Damned headlining for a fund raiser of some sort. Not sure why but they had bookedMike Read from then "run around" fame came on to tell some gags prior to the Damned. Handily some guy with a green Mohawk had been handing out flour bombs to see him off.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Rage Against The Machine at Liverpool Royal Court, 1993 I think. Total and utter mayhem, actually quite scary. Health and safety would not allow it these days.