Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

relistening to stuff you loved as a nipper

What's Hot
mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
I'm not sure whether it's mid life crisis time or not - most likely yes, but I've recently been listening to stuff that i used blast all day long as a nipper.

Recently it's been 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' which I had on constant rotation as a teenager, driving my family nuts.

But now I have 'Flying in a Blue Dream' on. Man. I used to cane this album! it's really bringing me back to my youth.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    My cousins and I started off listening to soft rock when we were about 14: Bon Jovi, Poison, Skid Row etc. They still love listening to that kind of stuff (now early 40's) and can't understand why I would rather gauge my eyes out with a spoon rather than listen to it nowadays. I just can't. I don't wear the same clothes, watch the same TV etc. etc. as when I was 14, so I don't listen to that music either (except for occasional reminiscing). It was a gateway into other guitar music for me. Has my musical taste developed and theirs stagnated, or am I a snob?

The change comes when I was 18 or so, when I was listening to Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana. I still really enjoy listening to such bands. Maybe it's a kid v adult thing. Interesting stuff - thanks for the thought provocation.

But you're right, it's a beautiful thing listening to music you loved when you were younger (that you haven't heard for ages) and reminiscing about how it made you feel, the energy it gave you and what was going on in your life at that time. Music is good like that.

Probably my deepest post on fretboard. Usually I just say "get the Lazy J" or "Analogman".      
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keith Harris and Orville, all fucking day. Boom! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I don't think China Crisis stands the test of time.

I'd listen to most stuff I liked from about the age of 16 though - JAMC, Velvet Underground, Talking Heads. In fact I still do.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    As a nipper im talkiing nippermost nipperest before i was old enough to be allowed to even open the sterogram, the tunes i heard were Yellow submarine and Obla  de obla da and  a huge dollop of Lilly The Pink the pink the pink.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    For me it would be the theme tune to Listen with Mother.
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    Rhinestone cowboy was a permanent fixture in my grandparents record player. Still listen to it now. Was also intrigued by the mechanism that would drop just one record at a time onto the turntable.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Perdix said:
    Rhinestone cowboy was a permanent fixture in my grandparents record player. Still listen to it now. Was also intrigued by the mechanism that would drop just one record at a time onto the turntable.
    The BSR autochanger in our Pye radiogram was a source of wonder to me. You didn't need to get up and put on another single, the machine did it for you! Surely the Apollo astronauts used things like this all of the time.

When I hear stuff that we had on record these days my mind still think the music incomplete without the soft plop of the autochanger releasing another single onto the deck followed by the noise of the stylus on the run-in grooves. There needs to be a teeny phone app that interacts with your phone's music player to start each track like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Since the internet and easy downloading, I've revisited most of the music I liked when I was young. Some turns out to be great, some just has good associations and some I just can't listen to now. There's also a fair amount that I was aware of at the time but hated, that I now like!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I find that the rock music I first got into - around 1979, 1980 when I was 15 or 16 - has really stayed with me.  I still know the lyrics and every note of the music and I don't think I'll ever stop liking it.

(I also still like the top 40 chart music from the two or three years prior to that.  Teens are definitely the most impressionable years!) 

If I listen to stuff I liked later in the '80s, or the '90s it doesn't have the same significance and I have objectivity.  Some I still like, some I find completely unlistenable.

I think hindsight gives more perspective, it's also now easier to listen to particular bands and realise they had peaks and troughs.  Whereas before if I liked a band I liked everything they did.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    What has changed dramatically since I started playing guitar is what I hear when I listen to music of my pre-playing days. I used to hear just the block of sound, now I hear so many more parts of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    I still love the bands I listened to when I was 9.

I was lucky enough to start with Maiden 
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    “Two Little Boys” just isn’t the same anymore.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I can't listen to most of the stuff I grew up with .. in fact I don't really like rock music any more.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited February 2018
    There was something in the news recently about dementia, saying that music you learned between the age of 10 and 30 is laid down in the mind in a way that later things aren’t. In my 54th year, I reckon that’s right. I recently listened to some things I’ve probably not heard in 30 years and was amazed how easily I remembered them.

I’m sure these are sometimes simply associations with a particularly carefree point in life - but it was interesting how ‘instant’ the connection with the music was.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    My fave bands in the late 70s were ELO and Queen. I don't listen to either now really, although both have many great tracks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    There was something in the news recently about dementia, saying that music you learned between the age of 10 and 30 is laid down in the mind in a way that later things aren’t. I my 54th year, I reckon that’s right. I recently listened to some things I’ve probably not heard in 30 years and was amazed how easily I remembered them.
    Exactly. Last week I heard a song on the radio that I probably hadn’t listened to since the late 80s - a friend at school had the album it was on - and I knew pretty much the whole song from hearing the first bar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited February 2018
    I still listen to and love old thrash metal, I don’t think anything can come close to the music you listened to as a teenager, possibly just because it’s so dear to you and shapes your entire musical outlook
  • JAYJO said:
    As a nipper im talkiing nippermost nipperest before i was old enough to be allowed to even open the sterogram, the tunes i heard were Yellow submarine and Obla  de obla da and  a huge dollop of Lilly The Pink the pink the pink.

Ah. Spot on, me too. I hate to say it, but one good thing Jimmy Saville did was host the Old Record Club or whatever it was called - Lily The Pink, Moldy Old Dough, Makin' Love (now then, now then), etc. I was disproportionately affected by Something as a child, it made me cry quite a bit. So did Puff The Magic Dragon though.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited February 2018
    As a wee nipper I used to listen to all my dad's CDs, mainly his compilations of 70s and 80s pop, so I found some weird and wonderful music. The first time I found a band that I felt was "mine" taste-wise was when I discovered Echo Park by Feeder at the age of around seven.

One of my favourite songs from before that time, though, has to be this. A masterpiece.

My dad, despite not being a metalhead in the slightest, also introduced me to Guns N' Roses and Metallica and therefore could be blamed for my eventual discovery of Slayer, Pantera, Children of Bodom and so on, and the formation of my teenage music taste.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • still love everything I grew up listening to, and my tastes haven't changed, just broadened somewhat once I realised metal wasn't the only type of good music and it was cool to enjoy other stuff too (although metal is still the best, to me). So WASP, Stryper, Crue, Poison, Skid Row, Mr Big etc are still amongst my favourites :)