Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

relistening to stuff you loved as a nipper

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I still listen regularly to everything that I heard/bought when I was a kid.

Very little music released in the last twenty odd years, does anything for me at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As an adolescent I think my main exposure to music was my sister's record collection. Can't say I revisit Puppy Love by Donny Osmond very regularly, although I think I know all the words. 

The NWOBHM stuff I got into at 15 or so I have regularly revisited although I realise without nostalgia it wouldn't necessarily stand up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12326
    RobDavies said:
    I still listen regularly to everything that I heard/bought when I was a kid.

Very little music released in the last twenty odd years, does anything for me at all. 
    I listen to a lot that I listened to when I was 14-21 which spans 1989 to 1996 and included manchester, grunge and the pre-bripop stuff that was actually good.

I had a listen this week to some stuff I hadn't heard for a while, wonderstuff, being the one that stands out I forgot how much I loved them, a great drinker, welcome to the cheap seats, red berry joy town etc.

Some stuff you revisit doesn't stand up but its always fun doing it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    The NWOBHM stuff I got into at 15 or so I have regularly revisited although I realise without nostalgia it wouldn't necessarily stand up. 
    It's funny though, I can listen to Angel Witch or something and I still think it sounds great, I don't have to make allowances, put my "NWOBHM head" on or anything like that.  At least not consciously.

But if a band came out now sounding exactly like that I'd probably think they were ridiculous.

It's a bit like watching old movies from the 1930s and '40s.  It doesn't matter at all that they're tame by modern standards or that the special effects are creaky, they're still great.  But you couldn't make them now in the same way.
  • Is two way family favorites still on the wireless ?
  • Philly_Q said:
    It's funny though, I can listen to Angel Witch or something and I still think it sounds great, I don't have to make allowances, put my "NWOBHM head" on or anything like that.  At least not consciously.

But if a band came out now sounding exactly like that I'd probably think they were ridiculous.

It's a bit like watching old movies from the 1930s and '40s.  It doesn't matter at all that they're tame by modern standards or that the special effects are creaky, they're still great.  But you couldn't make them now in the same way.

I can enjoy it but I wouldn't be grabbing people and say listen to this White Spirit track isn't it amazing. Although I suppose I could play someone a Diamond Head track and say that's who Metallica were trying to be. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I still listen to a lot of rock/metal stuff from when I was a teenager.

I tend to prefer more modern pop and electronic music though.
  • Bucket said:
    The first time I found a band that I felt was "mine" taste-wise was when I discovered Echo Park by Feeder at the age of around seven.
    Echo Park is one of my favourite albums, I still listen to it today.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ICBM said:
    There was something in the news recently about dementia, saying that music you learned between the age of 10 and 30 is laid down in the mind in a way that later things aren’t. I my 54th year, I reckon that’s right. I recently listened to some things I’ve probably not heard in 30 years and was amazed how easily I remembered them.
    Exactly. Last week I heard a song on the radio that I probably hadn’t listened to since the late 80s - a friend at school had the album it was on - and I knew pretty much the whole song from hearing the first bar.
    Right now, as I type.......
    Spotify is awesome!

Matty Groves, Fairport Convention..
    WOW, I know every word.
    It must be 20 years at least since I played this.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I'm sure a lot of folk on here have played the Desert Island Discs game and of course your eight chosen discs change over time, but I have one tune that has always featured on my list and it's the theme from "Thunderbirds".  And if Kirsty forced me to choose just one disc to keep that would be it.