On my way to see Steven Wilson (inc setlist)

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
edited February 2018 in Music
Been looking forward to this for ages.. I had a ticket for the h.c.e tour but was hospitalised whilst it was on. So this is long overdue!

Kind of a shame that neither Dave K or Guthrie are involved so I hope Alex is up to it!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex is brilliant, and a really nice bloke too.  Different musical sensibilities to Dave and Guthrie though.  I am interested to know how he interprets the music, although Steve is always in charge of that !

More than a little envious, have a great evening...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm sure it will be a great gig. As well as being talented, Steven Wilson has the ability to recruit good musicians into his band. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice one. I’ve got a front row seat for the Warwick arts centre gig in March, very excited. 
  • Well, that was excellent. Alex was very good indeed!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Fab, I like to have got along myself as I'm a big Alex H fan. Saw Steven Wilson at the Albert hall a couple of years ago, utterly brilliant gig.
  • Been looking forward to this for ages.. I had a ticket for the h.c.e tour but was hospitalised whilst it was on. So this is long overdue!

Kind of a shame that neither Dave K or Guthrie are involved so I hope Alex is up to it!
    Alex will be on! I’m hoping Ninet is at the Manchester show ;)
  • Setlist
    1. Nowhere Now
    2. Pariah
    3. Home Invasion
    4. Regret #9
    5. The Creator Has a Mastertape (Porcupine Tree Song)
    6. Refuge
    7. People Who Eat Darkness
    8. Ancestral
    Pause
    9. Arriving Somewhere but Not Here (Porcupine Tree Song)
    10. Permanating
    11. Song of I
    12. Lazarus (Porcupine Tree Song)
    13. Detonation
    14. The Same Asylum as Before
    15. Heartattack in a Layby (Porcupine Tree Song)
    16. Vermillioncore
    17. Sleep Together (Porcupine Tree Song)
    Zugabe
    18. Even Less (Porcupine Tree Song)
    19. Harmony Korine
    20. The Raven That Refused to Sing
  • So put me out of my misery, please...

How did Alex fit in with the songs ?
    Did he play around the album parts or make it his own ?
    Did Steven allow him free rein do you feel ?

I appreciate that critique is not always easy, but I know you have the credentials to make it constructive and meaningful.

• So put me out of my misery, please...

How did Alex fit in with the songs ?
    Did he play around the album parts or make it his own ?
    Did Steven allow him free rein do you feel ?

I appreciate that critique is not always easy, but I know you have the credentials to make it constructive and meaningful.
    First up I thought Alex did really well, Steven Wilson stuff is more that just getting the riffs down, there's a fair amount for FX play. His solos were his own, but defiantly paid homage to the records in feel. Regret #9 started and finished with the recorded licks, and followed a loose path set by the original, which was kinda cool really.

There was plenty of chance for him to get flashy, but SW was taking quite a lot of the To the Bone solos. So not free reign, but flexibility, I think Alex was playing to the songs, not himself and he fit right in.

My only slight complaint, and it's personal taste, would be that his sound was not the best at times, just an amp / guitar combo that I don't particularly like, very thick and swampy. SW by contrast sounded great with his bad cats and tele!

But as a unit, the band sounded really, really good. gotta love nick Beggs and that Chapman Stick too.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Excellent. And thanks for the set list. Am going to RAH in March and hugely looking forward to it. 
  • Spoiler alert....managed to quickly flick away when I saw you posted the set...I'll wait for the night!
  • Spoiler alert....managed to quickly flick away when I saw you posted the set...I'll wait for the night!
    I'm pretty sure he is not playing the same set each time. I read somewhere thay they had learned a lot of his old material and would swap it around.

• Thanks for that @Teetonetal , I appreciate your insight.  Sounds like Alex is at last getting some of the recognition he so richly deserves, sounds like he'll fit right in.  Hopefully the "tone" thing will work it's way out over the tour.  And, let's face it, Dave Kilminster with the LP and Brunetti set a very high benchmark on that score !

Interesting to follow Nick Beggs career too, glad you mentioned him.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for that @Teetonetal , I appreciate your insight.  Sounds like Alex is at last getting some of the recognition he so richly deserves, sounds like he'll fit right in.  Hopefully the "tone" thing will work it's way out over the tour.  And, let's face it, Dave Kilminster with the LP and Brunetti set a very high benchmark on that score !

Interesting to follow Nick Beggs career too, glad you mentioned him.
    I actually think Nick Beggs chapman stick is one of the defining sounds of SW's solo work. It so much groove. Would love to try one.

Was looking up Begg's career today. Founder member Kajagoogoo. Very varied work over the years. 

The other thing that is really eye opening. No matter how good you are... there is always someone to take your place. Craig Blundell and Alex really are top drawer.

Do you know Alex personally?
  • Mr Wilson never seems to age...it must be the vegetarian diet.

I was hoping to catch him at the Birmingham Symphony Hall this March but can't make it unfortunately...