Keys based artists

What's Hot

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @viz I like both the Gould recordings, though for preference I prefer the later one (though it's heavier on his vocal accompaniment). :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 340
    edited April 2016

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Anyone said Tori Amos yet?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I'm bringing this thread back from the grave as I'm thinking I may focus on piano and keyboards instead of guitar in the near future and I'm hoping you lovely people might direct me towards some good solo artists using pianos or keyboards where they accompany themselves singing :) to get some ideas of what can be achieved (or put me off as I'll not be as good at the singing bit as I need to be to do this)

Annnnnd go!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Imogen Heap is awesome.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Imogen Heap is awesome.
    She is. Not just what she does on record - I went to see her a couple of years ago, and about halfway through the set she accidentally kicked an extension cable which pulled a plug out (nil points to the roadies for not securing it properly!) and her computer went down. While the roadies sorted it out and rebooted everything she just went over to the acoustic piano and carried on as if nothing was amiss :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    edited February 2018
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4945
    Air.  A French duo who recorded Moon Safari a good number of years ago.  Synths and things.  Amazing music.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Steely Dan
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Carole King

Leon Russell

Laura Nyro

Dr John

Joni Mitchell

Edgar Winter

As for bands, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Stereolab, Procul Harum, Van der Graaf Generator, Soft Machine,  Supertramp, Pet Shop Boys, Sailor, - a few genres covered there...
  • One thing I'm noticing, sadly and much to my detriment, is that it seems the other way around to accompanying yourself on a guitar (or how I perceive it anyway) - you seem to have to be a much better singer than a pianist if that marks sense. They seem to be good singers who play a little bit of piano. Whereas with guitar if you can play well you can hide your singing a bit more I think. 

Also seems harder to be "cool" on pianos but hoping I can work with that.

With that in mind, any suggestions that veer towards singer-songwriter on piano type thing would be great. There are a few Ryan Adams songs he does on piano that sound incredibly good to me and would be very interested in stuff in that sort of direction:

Like this:

And this (which in turn is quite Eagles-ish I think):

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Anthony Hegarty (Anthony and The Johnson's).

Moonface create some interesting music.

This

• fobfob Frets: 1430

Stevie Wonder

Ozric Tentacles

• Tom Lehrer. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thanks guys some interesting things coming through here, though really am keen to focus on piano + vocals if possible as I'm not going to be able to learn synths enough to be able to write or arrange for them. 

I do love Stevie Wonder and do a few of his and Bill Withers at home (the later after another recommendation on a thread here) but I'm pretty sure in public a mop top indie white guy playing soul would be a bit twee Haha 

And Phil... Tom Lehrer, you can't add anything to his genius by trying to rehash it :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Check out donna zed.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    fob said:

Stevie Wonder

Ozric Tentacles

That's a pairing I would love to see play live..........
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Thanks guys some interesting things coming through here, though really am keen to focus on piano + vocals if possible as I'm not going to be able to learn synths enough to be able to write or arrange for them. 

I do love Stevie Wonder and do a few of his and Bill Withers at home (the later after another recommendation on a thread here) but I'm pretty sure in public a mop top indie white guy playing soul would be a bit twee Haha 

And Phil... Tom Lehrer, you can't add anything to his genius by trying to rehash it :) 
    IIRC even he gave up and went back to teaching.
    When I was about 21 I worked for someone who had a lot of albums and there was a ten inch Lehrer one with Poisoning Pigeons in the Park and all those on it. He had Beatles albums, lot of jazz,all sorts of things but it was the Lehrer one I remember most. Wonderful stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Might be a bit too jazz oriented for this audience but Go Go Penguin are bloody brilliant.

• Also the absolutely glorious Esbjorn Svennson Trio (EST)

RIP :-(