The new Rickenbacker basses.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

I'd like a 4 string version of the one in Fireglo, 5 strings are an abomination*

*for me, if you like them then that's ok :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    absolutpepper said:

the pickguard seems very odd around the lower horn in particular.  
    I think the corner radius is too large - they seem to change the shape of the 4003 guard every now and again for no good reason, and although subtle, some of the changes make them quite ugly.

I commend them for doing something more contemporary
    I really don't think they need to, to be honest. I know we always go on about how conservative musicians are and that companies need to innovate, but do they? RIC can sell every instrument they make anyway, and the existing designs are classics.

I'd actually rather see them refine and improve the existing designs slightly and get rid of some of the minor flaws - in particular, the lack of hum-cancelling pickups (the 4003 is almost unique among professional-quality basses in not having any hum cancellation as standard, and this can be an issue in some venues) and the tendency of the vintage tailpiece to 'tail lift'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    They've been spoilt by those horrible looking pickups. Shame.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    ICBM said:
     I know we always go on about how conservative musicians are
    prowla said:
    they shouldn't be 4003 models.
    I agree that these new offerings should have their own distinct model name/number.

The Ric 4000/4001/4003 has been with us for over half a century. Its sounds are a point of reference. This is the argument for remaining consistent to the specification that yields those sounds.

Not for the first time, Rickenbacker has issued a trade show prototype to gauge market reaction. It is not necessarily how the product will be if/when if it is put into full production.

Remember the 4002 bass? Perhaps not. The prototype looked fantastic. The production version looked naff.
    Be seeing you.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    edited February 2018
    Leave 5/6 strings to Ken Smith and MTD etc I say, Precision and 4001/3 Basses should remain with 4 strings.

Preferably in Metallic or Fireglo finishes.