"Black Coffee"

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    i don't have a problem with "a covers album" I have a problem that Joe just knocks out cookie cutter / machine line blues covers album at a crazy pace, it seems there is no heart in the songs (probably because they are not written by Joe" it's almost like "pick 12 blues tracks, book a studio for 3 days, lets go" and keep doing that over and over, that takes nothing away from Joes success or skills, I'm actually a huge fan of his earlier stuff and his move into the blues rock based area, however it's just getting a bit cookie cutter now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcym said:
    i don't have a problem with "a covers album" I have a problem that Joe just knocks out cookie cutter / machine line blues covers album at a crazy pace, it seems there is no heart in the songs (probably because they are not written by Joe" it's almost like "pick 12 blues tracks, book a studio for 3 days, lets go" and keep doing that over and over, that takes nothing away from Joes success or skills, I'm actually a huge fan of his earlier stuff and his move into the blues rock based area, however it's just getting a bit cookie cutter now.
    I'd agree, except that most of the last 2 or 3 albums have been original material (Blues of Desperation, Different Shades of Blue even more so...)

But the covers are prevalent in his side projects with Beth, Mahalia et al.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    darcym said:
    I'd agree, except that most of the last 2 or 3 albums have been original material (Blues of Desperation, Different Shades of Blue even more so...)

But the covers are prevalent in his side projects with Beth, Mahalia et al.

And this for me is the problem, when he writes, it's just not good enough, when he covers, it's just too much of the same, basically he's a guitarist (for me) not a song writer any more (his really early stuff was quite good but totally different feel from where he's going and built him self a career in).