The first Concert I ever went to

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    The first gig I ever went to, where I bought the ticket myself was Status Quo 26th March 1973 at Southampton Guildhall.
    It was their Piledriver tour. It were feckin' loud too!!  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Status Quo at the Caird Hall, Dundee in 1984. I was 9 years old. I still have the ticket stub somewhere, but I know it cost the princely sum of £7.50. I found an audience bootleg recording of it a few weeks ago, which is handy as I have little or no recollection of the whole show!

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    CloudNine said:
    Rage Against The Machine at Liverpool Royal Court, 1993 I think. Total and utter mayhem, actually quite scary. Health and safety would not allow it these days.
    A friend of mine (who is white) was at a rap gig in Brixton where the 'group' chanted "shoot the white people" for a good couple of minutes.  He figured discretion was the better part of valour and joined in the chanting!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    The Stranglers, Bham Top Rank, October 1979. Unbelievable.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• markjmarkj Frets: 910
    5th November 1978 AC/DC. Liverpool empire. Bonn Scott giving it all he had. Still have the ticket stub.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader
    Skid Row, Docklands Arena 1991... The main thing I remember from that gig is Sebastian Bach hanging upside down from the stage props and still actually singing every note in tune...  :)
  • Ocean Colour Scene at the Tiv in Buckley in 95. I was 15. They'd just realsed Mosley Shoals - I cant believe they were playing such a small venue. 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Thanks for all the contributions. I too remember the concerts being too loud
    I could well have damaged my ears but a School friend brought some cotton
    wool with him to put in our ears..
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Growing up in deepest darkest Mid-Wales, I watched hundreds of bands playing at 'parties in the hills' type gatherings. Impromptu festivals organised away from the mainstream where the only payment was whatever could be spared, chucked into a bucket for 'Diesel' and whatnot. Great times they were, scruffy oiks dancing all night to bands on the back of flat bed trailers, diesel generators, that sort of thing. I didn't have much access to the exotic world of proper gigs until I ventured out into the big wide world and ended up buying my first ticket for an Ozrics gig at South Parade pier in Portsmouth c1992. Trouble was, I took a load of magic mushrooms and sat in the floor watching the fruit salad light show projected onto the ceiling coving all night. So I can't say I saw much of the band. The Rave scene killed off most of the old free band thing unfortunately. It still goes on but I can't stand all that thump thump thump nonsense they call 'Tuuunes!  Processions of one man DJ shows, albeit very good at what they do, but I can't help feeling that we lost something when that happened. Nothing beats the sound of cranked up amplifiers echoing off the hills as the sun rises.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    First festival was 2000 (Reading)

However, first gig was seeing Fear Factory with the marvellous earthtone9 at the London Astoria in 2001. There was a G-A-Y night on after the show and there were hundreds of balloons on the ceiling held up by a huge net. FF got the venue to release all the balloons during 'Self Bias Resistor'. Was like a birthday party at a mental hospital.
  • First proper gig was Sex Pistols/The Clash/Heartbreakers at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens. Nov or Dec 76 (can't remember which) on the Anarchy Tour. I was 15. Not a bad intro to live music! 
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Motorhead, Leicester De Montfort Hall, 1991, with support from The Almighty. I was 15 and it was so loud I had to have the rest of the week off school because I couldn't hear a thing
    I saw them on that tour at Liverpool University. Ball bustingly loud. A fucking sonic wave.

My first gig was a couple of years earlier. 89/90 Black Sabbath Headless Cross tour. Tony Iommi, Tony Martin on vocals, Neil Murray on bass, Cozy Powell on drums. Ok, it wasnt Ozzy, Bill and Geezer but it was still pretty mega. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    just checked the gig list and the first gig i saw was The Skids march 17 1979. They played two shows and i went to the matinee at erics. I was shit scared of all the punks hanging round in them days. Pete Burns worked in Probe Record shop and you could pre order singles for the following week etc. He was by far the most outrageous character i had ever seen seen Scared me more than the punks. He wore a full length black ball gown,huge permed hair and a load of piercings and lipstick. He would be serving Punks, Mods , Rockers etc He had a lot of Bottle that Pete Burns.Amazing Character.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited February 2018
    Aerosmith, 1989, The 'Pump' Tour, Birmingham NEC.

Me and Sarah McNally getting trains to places we'd no clue about and eventually getting home about 6am.
    It was amazing.
    I remember shouting at a few people in a famous Leeds pub who saw The Who live in the Refectory they both  said it's your round mate.

Just watched Into the Valley as bought quite a few punk records in 78/79/80
    unfortunately my white vinyl copy was binned when it cracked somehow...  
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Motorhead - Hammersmith Odeon in 1982 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited February 2018
    My first was Meat Loaf on the Bat Out of Hell II Tour - October 6th, 1993. Right at the front leaning on the stage (it was supposed to be seated). It was a great show.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    quarky said:
    My first was Meat Loaf on the Bat Out of Hell II Tour - October 6th, 1993. Right at the front leaning on the stage (it was supposed to be seated). It was a great show.
    I did that with Belinda Carlisle on the Heaven On Earth tour. Absolutely great :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Mine was in 1973 - ELO at the Rainbow Pavilion Torquay.  On holiday and went on my own while my mom and dad waited outside.