What Mesa Boogie Duel Recto to buy

What's Hot
sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 723
I have £700-£900 to buy a used duel recto 

there are loads around on eBay/gumtree

any tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you can stretch to a newer Multi-Watt they're the best around at the moment. I think there's also a few Tremoverbs around which are nice too, 2 channels but still a great clean channel.

The older three channels get slagged off a lot but I really like them, clean channel and loop sucks though.

Two channels are great for the modern and vintage modes, probably the best for all out metal and hard rock tones. 
  • There's a rare head version of a tremoverb on ebay at the moment.
  • Link?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Racktifier 
  • Whatever one you get - get an attenuator to get the best out of it - all rectos are best loud :)

TBH you can't really go wrong - the older three channels dont have a great clean, the older two channels have an even worse clean and the new muti-watt three channels have a good clean. All of them have great pushed clean, mid gain and full on metal tones. Though Rectos actually have less gain that people think, you're not going to get Diezel levels of filth out of them!

Great amps - the two channel tremoverb on ebay is meant to be one of the best models Mesa made of the two channel - very heavy weight wise though!
  • MultiWatt unless you want a smoother sound and more clean/mid gain options in which case Roadster.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Depends on your requirements and the type of music you need to cover.

I've owned both the old 3ch and the multiwatt 3ch versions, so can share my experiences with them.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Whatever one you get - get an attenuator to get the best out of it - all rectos are best loud :)

TBH you can't really go wrong - the older three channels dont have a great clean, the older two channels have an even worse clean and the new muti-watt three channels have a good clean. All of them have great pushed clean, mid gain and full on metal tones. Though Rectos actually have less gain that people think, you're not going to get Diezel levels of filth out of them!

Great amps - the two channel tremoverb on ebay is meant to be one of the best models Mesa made of the two channel - very heavy weight wise though!
    Personally wouldn't bother with an attenuator, the mv on recto's are great, they sound lovely quiet too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Single recs are nice too... Had mine since 2005, done hundreds of gigs, never had a problem with it.
  • jaysmith said:
    Single recs are nice too... Had mine since 2005, done hundreds of gigs, never had a problem with it.
    Hows the clean channel on it?
  • I'd suggest a Roadster - like mine. But not at that price :)

• Clean channel is fine in single rec. Never had a problem with it, definitely usable

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited February 2018
    trolley said:

I'd suggest a Roadster - like mine. But not at that price

Roadsters are nice, as they have an extra channel that can be dialled in for “classic rock”, in addition to pristine clean, heavy rock and metal. A cover band guitarist’s wet dream...

However, they are voiced like the old 3ch Dual Recs, so if you like the multiwatt voicing more, you’ll have to make your choice.

They are also heavier (in weight), if that matters.
  • jaysmith said:
    Clean channel is fine in single rec. Never had a problem with it, definitely usable

Nice - good to know, always been interested in the singles and never had a chance to play one! :)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Yeah had a single rec also a rectoverb combo and the cleans where very nice. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    I scored my Multi-Watt for £circa900 from this very forum. Far nicer than the couple of older 3 channels I had. It was also mint. ThorpyFX sold me it. 
  • mini rec - loud but not insane - listen to the demos 
  • Nerine said:
    I scored my Multi-Watt for £circa900 from this very forum. Far nicer than the couple of older 3 channels I had. It was also mint. ThorpyFX sold me it. 
    Lovely amp, that. Hope you're enjoying it. I had it before Thorpy :-)

If you ever record anything with it, I'd love to hear it. There's somethingwarm and nostalgic about hearing about gear I used to own.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    edited February 2018
    I'm very happy with my Trem-o-verb.
    I use the clean, blues and vintage high gain channels and they all sound great to my ears.
    I don'  use the modern high gain channel and have sold off the majority of my dirt pedals this amp made them redundant.
    Still don' get the FX loop!
    The reverb is all is ever need and the tremolo is nice and vibey.

• I don't own a Dual Rec, but have played a Rectoverb and it is one of the best Amps I've ever played. It's quite difficult to get a bad sound out of it.