The next les paul(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Binding as per your plan looks good. I didn't think it would be possible to bend 3 ply that much. I suppose the lower horn will be the toughest, as if I could know.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    Still plenty of chance to mess it up, but gentle heat is usually the way.

gibson don't always get this job right

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    Looking forward to seeing your custom finished, one of the best looking LP's imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    i decided to start with the multiply binding on the back of the custom.    I am going full 7-ply front and back, because that gives  me chance to practice with the binding on the back before doing the front

I got most of the way round the guitar in one go,but it clearly wasn't working once i got to the cutaway.  I made a caul to help with the last section and did those last few inches  in short burrts making sure each section fit nicely before moving onto the next

and i think we are about there

Next job will e to scrape it all level and see how it looks
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    I might have to bring you my 55 to get rebound - someone resprayed it and painted the binding on!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     I would be up for that.

Are there are clues to what might be underneath?  

Removing and filling the original binding would have been quite a task.  Makes me wonder how much, if any, is still hiding underneath the paint
    I've scraped off the paint in a couple of spots and you can see binding, but the black looks like it is missing/damaged in the couple of spots I've looked at
    edited February 2018
    I’m almost convinced it’s still under there... but best to plan for it being damaged to the point of replacement  anyway as that’s still likely.  It’s been covered up for a reason

there seems to be a line in the Black following the cutaway.  I assume that’s the edge of the original channel.  There also seems to be a black shadow under the paint
    Yes, it was re-necked at some point I think.  They've rescued the fingerboard and headstock veneer, but the serial number isn't a Gibson stamp.  It's been through the wars, but I got it for a good price from a friend who had it a long time and has been a vintage dealer in the NY area since the 80's.  

It's a replica scratchplate, but I picked up a Gibson L7 scratchplate from the 40's, which is the correct materiel for this, after seeing Mojoaxe convert one.  Would you be up for that too?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    would you fancy tracing around that headstock and give tuner placement measurements
    Also I'd like to know inlay sizes 

I've got most other specs from a vintage one but never looked at one yet, i can't find much info on customs and id like to make a proper one, its also a tribute guitar to my son, I want to put some ashes in it
    He wanted a 59 custom as his main guitar 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That moment when you are reading a build thread and someone says something that flaws you:

its also a tribute guitar to my son, I want to put some ashes in it
    @customkits that is possibly the most beautiful and humbling thing I’ve read in a while. My condolences and I truly hope you get to do that build.
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader
    That moment when you are reading a build thread and someone says something that flaws you:

its also a tribute guitar to my son, I want to put some ashes in it
    @customkits that is possibly the most beautiful and humbling thing I’ve read in a while. My condolences and I truly hope you get to do that build.
    Thanks life is shit but It's getting done this year, I got sent a 59 outline and some other bits, the old headstocks are a different size too

I've looked at some real holy grail stuff over the last couple of years but no customs

I've got to focus on building stuff or go mad, if i get all the specs together I'll do a proper build thread 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I live in the States, but I will probably bring this to @WezV to fix.  I'm sure he can get you it, or depending where you are, I can bring it to you first, before taking it to Wes.  I am very sorry to hear why you would want the details, but will do my best to make sure you can get them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    I live in the States, but I will probably bring this to @WezV to fix.  I'm sure he can get you it, or depending where you are, I can bring it to you first, before taking it to Wes.  I am very sorry to hear why you would want the details, but will do my best to make sure you can get them
    I would really appreciate that, I don't want to hijack the thread anymore so if you or wez could let me know when you're coming over and I'll work around you so I don't put anyone out 

Sorry wez, you can carry on building now
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    @PhilKing ; - yeah, happy to do the plate.  

@customkits ; - no worries..   If Phil can't get it to you first, i would be taking lots of drawings, readings and pics or my own reference and am always happy to share
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    @PhilKing ; - yeah, happy to do the plate.  

@customkits ; - no worries..   If Phil can't get it to you first, i would be taking lots of drawings, readings and pics or my own reference and am always happy to share
    Thanks Wez, I'd love to come over and look at it, you can't beat hands on imo 
    I'd like to see how the necks feels too and i think they have a smaller heel
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited February 2018
    lots of progress

in light of the above discussion i though i would try out a few things on the custom body/binding whilst i have one in this state and can mess around with it... and mess around with it I have

firstly, i left the corner of the heel square to do the nice  bevel.  That worked well. 

I then decided to round off the corner of the heel  as this would give me chance to try matching in a new section of binding.  Both guitars will have this heel shape.   

I tried two types of join.  First one was a butt join of all 3 binding strips at the same place... that looked obvious.  Then i tried staggering the joins and managed to get an invisible blend.  much nicer.  

Because off the above i knew i would be redoing the back binding, so before i did i thought i would try a few methods for softening the edge of the multi-ply.   First i put a slight bevel on, that could work, then i did a roundover, that definitely doesn't

Anyway, after all that pissing about i did the front and I am now  happy i have my technique well and truly sorted for mutli-ply.

Still has the rounded over mutli-ply on the back which looks a bit odd

and the much nicer style on the front ... one small patch near the neck pocket i need to repair

I also decided to add the binding channel to the maple one using my least favourite tool, a dremel attachment that i have always found to be rather unreliable.   the results are mostly okay, just needs a bit of filler at the tip of the horn.

necks are  also progressing.  the taper is cut, they are thicknessed to 20mm... need to do the headstocks next

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Wow..  You even bound the neck joint area...  that's perfection for you ..

:D

Looking great though.. Really like the big binding....

Lol, that’s clearly the worst bit.

but at this point I am fairly confident I can re-do the back to look like a continuous unjoined strip.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Lol, that’s clearly the worst bit.

but at this point I am fairly confident I can re-do the back to look like a continuous unjoined strip.

Do you use acetone?