Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Decision Made! Pictures below. Previously: Help me choose a “strat” (conditions apply)

What's Hot
FriskyDingoFriskyDingo Frets: 18
edited March 2018 in Guitar
1) up to a £1000, could swing a couple more £ (case optional)
 2) s/s/s pick up configuration 
3) not red (my tele’s that colour and I like variety)

Can an be any brand of guitar, not just fender, year made, far less than the top of my budget, used, whatever. 

UPDATE: I purchased a Chapman ML1 pro traditional. Its was b-stock, so a steal. Tough choice between this and a 2008 Fender American Strat (used). Just needs some fresh strings (10's for me) Thanks everyone for your advice and help

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you're into 60's necks and rosewood I'd strongly recommend a Fender 62 AVRI Strat. I have an early 90's one and after a set up and a refret it's one of the best playing guitars I've owned. I think I paid about £700 for mine with shit up frets so I'd say anything under £900 is reasonable for one in good nick. Mine gave my custom shop a run for it's money and I ended up keeping it out of the two
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    Tokai TST50 or G&L Legacy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Fender Jimmie Vaughan
  • Get an early Levinson Blade - R2 or R4 - great strats and within your price range, but you might need to be patient as the RH series (H/S/S) is more common.  It will be worth the wait!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • John A s/s/s config wanted. 
    Horse - that s-500 is nice may need frets worked on
    Www - I have a tokai bass and it’s great, never played the 50, is it common to find?
    thegummy - signature guitars, although nice, put a lot of expectation on the player and I’m no where near jv in talent
    Auldreekie - il keep an eye out, what makes them “great” in your opinion? I’ve never played one
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    Get the Ed O'Brien one.
  • If you're into 60's necks and rosewood I'd strongly recommend a Fender 62 AVRI Strat. I have an early 90's one and after a set up and a refret it's one of the best playing guitars I've owned. I think I paid about £700 for mine with shit up frets so I'd say anything under £900 is reasonable for one in good nick. Mine gave my custom shop a run for it's money and I ended up keeping it out of the two
    I’m easy with neck wood, my Godin was rosewood and tele is maple, my playing the same. Is the 60’s neck that much difference in size? I have an ltd ec-1000 and a 2012 tele at the moment
  • Fretwired said:
    I did play one in pmt Bristol and the neck + middle pup sounded great, the bridge was a little weak in level, but that may have been the set up
    I’m easy with neck wood, my Godin was rosewood and tele is maple, my playing the same. Is the 60’s neck that much difference in size? I have an ltd ec-1000 and a 2012 tele at the moment
    The neck is a fairly standard 60's strat profile so a sort of thin-ish C, I personally find it super comfortable. Hard to say if you'll like it without playing one though. They do come stock with vintage style frets though which is something to bare in mind, not everyones cup of tea. From what I can gather the radius' and profiles seem to vary over the years too so it's definitely something to try out first. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited February 2018
    John A s/s/s config wanted. 
    Www - I have a tokai bass and it’s great, never played the 50, is it common to find?
    thegummy - signature guitars, although nice, put a lot of expectation on the player and I’m no where near jv in talent
    Auldreekie - il keep an eye out, what makes them “great” in your opinion? I’ve never played one
    Really? Surprised you'd see it like that.

To me they're nothing more than a model name. I don't even know who half the people with signature guitars are.

People sometimes mention Les Paul in a tongue-in-cheek manner when talking about signature guitars but to me a Jimmie Vaughan Strat, for example, is no more actually relative to Jimmie Vaughan the person than a Les Paul is to the player that guitar gets its name from.
  • thegummy said:
    John A s/s/s config wanted. 
    Really? Surprised you'd see it like that.

To me they're nothing more than a model name. I don't even know who half the people with signature guitars are.

People sometimes mention Les Paul in a tongue-in-cheek manner when talking about signature guitars but to me a Jimmie Vaughan Strat, for example, is no more actually relative to Jimmie Vaughan the person than a Les Paul is to the player that guitar gets its name from.
    I see les Paul more synonymous with the model of the guitar, rather than the guitarists signature. That’s just my own hang up that I can’t get past. It’s like when people say they didn’t have a connection with a guitar, or fall in love with it, that’s how I feel with signature models. I admit it’s not rational!
    The neck is a fairly standard 60's strat profile so a sort of thin-ish C, I personally find it super comfortable. Hard to say if you'll like it without playing one though. They do come stock with vintage style frets though which is something to bare in mind, not everyones cup of tea. From what I can gather the radius' and profiles seem to vary over the years too so it's definitely something to try out first. 
    Vintage style frets do make me cautious but il still seek one out, thanks

• Auldreekie - il keep an eye out, what makes them “great” (Levinson Blade) in your opinion? I’ve never played one
    Levinson Blades  - the R2 and R4 models I recommended were only made briefly late 80's/early 90s and the build quality is superb.  They are strats with several modifications including an onboard active control (the VSC) which allows you to choose between 3 settings (a)passive setting (the p/ups themselves are not active) (b) mid boost and (c) bass/treble boost.  In the active modes you can select the level of treble, bass and mid by three small screws on the rear plate of the body.  I have no doubt that newer Blades are off equal quality, its just that I have nver played any as my 4 Blades are all older models.  
    They get more play than my 5 US core PRS, so that gives you an idea of their quality.
  • I hear a lot of good things about the Classic Player 60s. Comes in the best Strat colour — Sonic Blue — 2-point trem, modern radius, amazing CS69 pickups, and well under a grand. I would have bought one already but I made my own lightweight copy instead. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    First decide what type of neck suits you and go from there.

Radius? Fret size? Maple or rosewood?

There are a bewildering amount of Strats available so if you can break it down a bit you will have a better idea of what to go looking for.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    I'd go G&L Legacy. The tremolo in particular is excellent. Abs I'm not even trying to sell one.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563

I'd say the fret ware looks worse than it is, and never felt the need to get them looked at, but YMMV. I don't know if @geepers0677 would be able to comment if he's around, as he had it on loan for a while.

TBH if you wanted a modern style strat and don't mind the weight (and the ding), then even after a fretdress it is pretty good value