Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars

What's Hot

Comments

• hootsmon said:
    Wots Eric's best album for guitar playin'...other than the Beano stuff?
    what @not_the_dj said, plus the live Cream recordings (esp. that version of Crossroads). I'm less keen on the studio stuff.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just booked my ticket for tomorrow night!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2018
    recent interview on Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05syfjs

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    I like a bit of ballet.  However I'm going to see the film tomorrow with a mate.  We've chosen the Odeon Covent Garden, partly because it used to be the Saville Theatre and Cream played there in '67 so seemed appropriate.  Jimi beat them to it the month before though when he opened with Sgt Pepper two days after the album was released and the Beatles were in the audience.  Balls of steel.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    rlw said:
    Going to the bleedin' ballet tomorrow night. 
    And have just been offered a free ticket too :p
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Yep - I’m going to see the live stream of the Q&A at my local cinema tomorrow night....
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    Nice clip of Jimi!  I think that's the "Christmas on Earth continued" event that Marshall sponsored, December '67, hence the Marshall banner across the stage.  I supsect it was very loud and rather good.

Back on Eric - here's a recent BBC interview.  He discusses the racist thing, amongst other more interesting stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05syfjs
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well I thought that was great. Plenty I knew already, but still some extra details about his family and the timeline of the Patti relationship. 

Interesting Q and A session as well, she made the right decision not having talking heads in the docu, and i’m glad they finally got the mic off that chap in the audience, nice sentiment but outstayed his welcome a bit there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well I thought that was great. Plenty I knew already, but still some extra details about his family and the timeline of the Patti relationship. 

Interesting Q and A session as well, she made the right decision not having talking heads in the docu, and i’m glad they finally got the mic off that chap in the audience, nice sentiment but outstayed his welcome a bit there!

The bit about the enforced hair cut and his guitar getting broken was very telling. 

I agree about the questioner out-staying his welcome - however well-intentioned he may have been. What was also interesting, was how EC seemed incapable of taking his compliments. I doubt it was false modesty - he seemed genuinely uncomfortable.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    Saw it this evening in Bournemouth. Brilliant film, very informative, very watchable and almost gripping at times, some sad bits, very honest overall and some great music clips. I am a big fan anyway but it kind of rekindled my interest, so it was inspiring as well I guess.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    I saw this on Wednesday as well as the Q&A afterwards.

It's odd - I've read a couple of biographies before seeing this so there wasn't much new info there but the footage of him abusing alcohol and drugs and where he's obviously under the influence were eye opening.  I always knew he'd struggled with drugs but seeing it on screen really showed me just how much of a problem he did have.  I am genuinely amazed that he's still alive.

In general I thought the film was great.  The music took a bit of a back seat to drugs and life post dominoes but given some of his out put during that period maybe that's not surprising.

Clapton was the reason I started playing guitar and I think over the years I've kind of taken his playing for granted but hearing clips of the Bluesbreakers/Cream/Dominoes through the cinema's sound system really reminded me why he had such an impact on me when I was starting out.
  • Interesting stuff!  Always enjoy learning about these guys and what really went on in their lives.  Somehow we read media interpretations to gain our understanding but more often than not they are weighted portrayals of the real person.

Hearing the making of Layla was great and makes you apreciate a masterpiece that - for me - lost it's spark due to over play on the raido.  Also the influence of Skydog to aid the completion of the D&D album was cool.

The drug taking scenes, the alcoholic stage outbursts and the racist stuff was pretty sobering.

Definitely worth a watch. Looking forward to Hyde Park even more so now!

Loved the doting pic with him and Jimi:

Image result for hendrix and clapton
  • Have just come back from the local cinema - it was really enjoyable & my wife liked it too which says it all!!
  • I don't Care what he said I have followed him since I was 12(65) and he is a true artist !!! But any thing a Man says when drunk (and I have been also) he was thinking about before the 1st drink !!! 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    is available online for those with no local cinemas...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
     Dont know about that. Told lots of people i love them on new years eve and Blanked them on new years day because i had no intention of telling them i loved them in the first place.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Voxman said:
    I liked slowhand and backless too, 461 OB, from the cradle, and Journeyman.
    (WIS'd)

Me too - the Waistcoat Years. I had Backless on vinyl and wore it out.

The Collins' produced ones are of their time (late 80s early 90s), they're pretty good (because of Phillganes & East IMHO)

I think he has dealt with the racist stuff, many times, and expressed regret.   He's just not made a stomach churning Blairite type apology
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited February 2018
    I think the ‘EC’s a racist’ thing is just old news. He was a heroin addict - and an alcoholic - he’s neither of those things now. What the film shows is an intelligent man’s life descending into all manner of disarray - yet ultimately he triumphed.

He spends a lot of his time - and money - trying to help others get sober. 

Most of us have done things we’re not proud of - but the trick is to learn - and strive to do better....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom