what tool do i need...

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16547
edited February 2018 in Making & Modding
.... to cut  side dots from something like a plectrum?

I am after some tort dots and i seem to have loads  of plectrums which would be a perfect source for  the material.  some scraps of celluloid binding too

I have made loads of 6mm dots out of various materials with plug cutters, but i can't find a plug cutter that small.  i need 2 - 2.5mm

Lasers or CNC routers are not an option at this time
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    Hollow punch set?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I have used that kind of thing before, but will it be sharp enough to get a nice little disc without shattering the source material?

i suppose I could also heat either the material or cutter to help.

i also have some cow hoof plectrums which I think would make quite nice dots.  More subtle than a lot of modern tort, but still has some colour variation 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    You probably need to make a tubular saw from some small brass or steel tube.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    I made a punch for side dots a few years ago when i needed some neon green ones (i mean who the hell stocks neno green side dots...)

As i recall this was the tip of either a welding or an air hose,it came out of a box of bit from my grandfather shed (it's the kind of box i can always find something useful in!)  i had to cut the angle trip section off and grid a cutting edge on it

Slap it in the drill press and spin up/punch out and push them out with a rod through the back,spits out 2.5mm dots,the above pictured dots are punched out of the tops of rattle cans that are about 1.5mm thick id say,iatm t needs re-sharping and works better if you add a bit of lube to the tip (no sniggering at the back) so the dots push out easier,works for me.

If you like i'll have a poke in the box tomorrow when im back up the workshop and see if there's another unmodded tip you can play with
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks all,

My initial thought was to make something with a bit of metal tube. 

I have found some small diameter diamond core bits and was wondering if they would work, but i have some small hollow punches on the way now.  I will give them a go, and if they don;t work with a hammer i will try adding some teeth and chucking them is a drill.  only a couple of quid  on ebay so lets see how i get on with those
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader
    nothing fancy just turn your drill bit up side down in a pillar drill and use as a punch

I drill a hole in a metal plate and place it over a bigger hole in a block of wood then clamp down when it's lined up

That's all I do now for everything

The good thing is you can use size you want, I normally use 2.3mm or the equivalent imperial size

I do use 2mm on thinner fretboards
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    that will do

It didn't like the cow hoof
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    Excellent.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    Did they need warming first to soften them a bit Wez? Nice job.
    I didn’t for the ones above