Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Just finished watching the film. Very moving. I wish the film continued for another two hours. I mean this as a negative. The film carefully set up his life following the tragic loss of his son, only to race over the following 20 years. Whether the director or Clapton believed summing up the rest of his life in honour of his son Connor meant letting the music speak for itself and briefly his drug and alcohol clinic, was a little poor. I could address the same criticism to Clapton's autobiography that shied away from presenting the personal relationships around him as he went from drugs to alcohol to sobriety to dedicated workman. Glossing over those people around him and the loss of those people, Duane Allman, Stevie Ray Vaughan, JJ Cale, did them all a disservice. We never learnt what happened to the friendship with George.
    What this film at once displayed and failed at was the interest we have in the drama of human relationships. We can enjoy the anecdotes of Keith Richards' autobiography but what interests us most is Keith's relationship with the rest of the band. The same is true with Eric and the countless relationships he's had with people we know and personal friends he knew. Whatever happened to his early mentor? What times did he share with BB King, Buddy Guy, SRV? too many unanswered questions. 

Still, the film does manage to present more sides to Clapton than were previously known through interviews and youtube. The anger and guilt he must carry would cripple any other man.

I just finished reading the two volume coffee table book on SRV and watched the documentary that accompanies the first book until the meeting with Bowie and the Let's Dance tour. The second book takes you through the success and depths of drug and alcohol addiction and his 12 step recovery program before his untimely death. The confidence to present a 4 hour documentary would have suited the clapton one well too.

In any case, I recommend the documentary to anyone interested in Clapton and the first half of his life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    What format is this film on? DVD, Netflix or what? Choking to see it. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Showtime so I think sky arts?
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    edited February 2018
    Edit: found it, can stream online.
  • Does anyone know if this is still on in London anywhere? I'm trying to find a good cinema listing site, but am struggling...
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    I couldn't find it in any cinemas either.  Odd that they would make the thing and not release it.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049

Quick before it's gone. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"