USA thread sizes (Telecaster)

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of upgrading a Squier Tele with pups from a Mexican Tele, but I didn't get the pup mounting screws with the pups when I bought them (used).  I'm guessing these will be USA threads, and would like to use correct screws sizes rather than drill and tap to go metric, so my question is; Can anyone tell me the correct size for both pups (neck pup is slightly smaller than the bridge)

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited February 2018
    The screws with a Fender MIM Telecaster bridge position pickup are, as you surmise, the same size as USA models. In recent years, the Fender Standard Series bobbin has been formed in plastic with turret reinforcements around the three elevator screw holes. The metal screws will tap their own threads in the plastic.

The MIM Telecaster neck position pickup uses a smaller screw to suspend it through the pickguard. Rather than source a pair of these, I suggest that you mount your neck pickup like a vintage Telecaster. i.e. Two wood screws into the bottom of the routed cavity. Take care over the length of the screws and the depth of the holes that you drill.
    Be seeing you.
  • Ok, thanks for that.  I had wondered about wood mounting the neck pup, and that would be easy enough.  I wasn't sure if the bobbin on the bridge pup would take a thread from a new screw without tapping it first, but I suppose I could make a simple tap from a screw prior to actually putting the new screws in.  It would certainly be the easiest option anyway.  Thanks for your input.    :)
  •  Bridge 6-32 x 3/4" Phillips pan head .
    Neck wood screws are Round Head, Phillips, #4 x 1" relieved shank. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    Hi,sorry to hijack your thread, what kind of Squier are you changing the pickups in? I was thinking of doing this to my Standard Tele but I'm not sure how this would change the tone over the alnico ones in there already.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    robgilmo said:
    Hi,sorry to hijack your thread, what kind of Squier are you changing the pickups in? I was thinking of doing this to my Standard Tele but I'm not sure how this would change the tone over the alnico ones in there already.
    Hi Rob, I bought a mounted pickguard from Axes R Us with Alnico 2s plus new pots and cloth wire for a squier standard strat and I thought it was a big improvement.
  • Hi Guys....it's a 2004 Squier Affinity tele.....new pups are from a 2015 Mex Tele...and thanks to "streethawk2 for above info :)