2018 Running Thread

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
edited January 2018 in Off Topic tFB Trader
We don't seem to have one yet so I thought I'd make one.

I'm targetting doing 1,000k (or 1,000,000m) this year.

I'm on 87k for the year so far so just about on track.

Anyone else doing a running challenge?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Gave up last July due to osteoarthritis :( I hate all bastards who can still run. Actually I am going to jog slowly around a 5k park run tomorrow, 5th time since I officially gave up. A far cry from my 45km a week :(
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I’m training for a half marathon in May....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I'm not planning a target as such but am running 10k twice a week in the crap weather months and once a week with a 30 mile cycle in the lighter months.  Got bought a head torch for christmas which i had never considered which makes it possible to run along the beach any time which is better, hate running on roads.
  • I broke my 1'000'000 meter target last year and really enjoyed the challenge but I don't think I'll commit this year- the first month or so will be taken up by rehabbing my newly dislocated knee. Running is a distant dream at the moment. 

Good luck to those who DO take part though. Having a gang on here posting encouragement and updates is hugely motivating, as is the advice from some of the superhuman runners we have. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    15k today so up to 103k total so far.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Nothing yet as I still have the tendon pain on the bottom of my foot. It needs to fuck off so I can start training for half iron man in August :( 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    My running is up the shitter so far this year, I've had about 5 weeks off and I'm finding motivation difficult. I'll do Parkrun on Saturday and take it from there I think.

1000 miles would be a good target.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    joneve said:
    Nothing yet as I still have the tendon pain on the bottom of my foot. It needs to fuck off so I can start training for half iron man in August :( 
    Plantar Facilitis socks will help on a daily basis. They really helped me when I got it.
    PC_Dave said:
    joneve said:
    Plantar Facilitis socks will help on a daily basis. They really helped me when I got it.
    didn't know you could get actual socks for it! 

I've got another podiatrist appt on wednesday. I need to do more calf stretches I think (that's what I was told last time), but having a newborn means I've totally forgotten to do so. will look into the socks though! 

• I don't particularly like running, cycling is my thing. But it's way more convenient to just bung on trainers and go out for a jog than it is to get kitted up in lycra and ride out somewhere. Plus, jogging 5k for me is a good distance and takes no more than 30 minutes. Whereas cycling I need to do 30k for a decent workout and that's nearer to 90 minutes. My wife prefers running too, so we can buddy up.

So, I  went for the first 5k on Saturday. I surprised myself with how easy I found it though my hip joints are hurting. My plan is to do another 5k this week. Ultimately there's a Trail Half Marathon in October that I hope to try just for the fun of it.
    I don't particularly like running, cycling is my thing. But it's way more convenient to just bung on trainers and go out for a jog than it is to get kitted up in lycra and ride out somewhere. Plus, jogging 5k for me is a good distance and takes no more than 30 minutes. Whereas cycling I need to do 30k for a decent workout and that's nearer to 90 minutes. My wife prefers running too, so we can buddy up.

So, I  went for the first 5k on Saturday. I surprised myself with how easy I found it though my hip joints are hurting. My plan is to do another 5k this week. Ultimately there's a Trail Half Marathon in October that I hope to try just for the fun of it.
    One does not simply do half marathon's for the fun of it. 
    joneve said:
    I don't particularly like running, cycling is my thing. But it's way more convenient to just bung on trainers and go out for a jog than it is to get kitted up in lycra and ride out somewhere. Plus, jogging 5k for me is a good distance and takes no more than 30 minutes. Whereas cycling I need to do 30k for a decent workout and that's nearer to 90 minutes. My wife prefers running too, so we can buddy up.

One does not simply do half marathon's for the fun of it. 
    Yeah we do :)
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    2017 was a bad running year for me. January I injured my back and locked the SI joint so lost nearly 2 months of training. Still managed to run some but not usual amounts. Did some races April-June but managed to dislocate my fibula bone in my lower leg. Still ran through it (was told it was just tight peroneals) and did some more races upto end of October. Through process of elimination located the dislodged fibula and had readjusted via Osteopath.  Both osteo and physio reckon the adjustments on my back corrected the leg imbalance (1cm) which resulted in too much power going through the right leg and hence forced the fibula out of place.

Anyhow, took some time out end of the year to allow recovery. It took a few months prior to diagnose and rest didn't fix anything.  All told I did 1519 miles/2445km. Considering the outages that wasn't too bad.  Did 3 100 miler races, a 75 mile race, a 36 mile race,  a 30 mile race, 1 marathon, some 10 milers and many training runs over marathon distance. So Ok with that but not as planned.

2018 I'm back training properly again and just finished my 2nd block which contained a 20 mile pace run at 3:45 marathon pace(2:54 fo the 20 miler)  and a 30 mile trail run (mud bath lol)  yesterday with 3000 feet of elevation. Now on an easy week before starting next block. Next week starts to build mileage around the 60-70 mile mark.

For races I have half in March, Brighton marathon in April, Thames path 100 (miles) in May, South Downs Way 100 in June, North Downs Way 100 in August, Chiltern Wonderland 50 in Sept and Autumn 100 in October. Not many races but the recovery after the 100 milers takes a while and with the first 2 only 5 weeks apart I don't anticpate any productive training in that period other than to recover for the next race.

Feeling much better and more optimisitic this year with some good training blocks ahead.

Good to see others still pushing with the running and challenging yourself. That's what it's all about. Pushing yourself forward step at a time (literally).

Happy running guys.

2018 miles - 145miles/233km with another 15-17m before end of Jan. Target as previous years = 2018 miles!!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Just done my first half marathon!

187k for the year so far.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Brilliant. Which one? Did you enjoy it? Great weather (down south anyway). :)
    tFB Trader
    mcsdan said:

Brilliant. Which one? Did you enjoy it? Great weather (down south anyway). :)

It wasn't an event, I just went out and did one because it was such a nice day and I didn't want to stop.

Very sore legs now!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh ok.  Those are the best runs when you don't want to stop! Yep, lovely day out for running.

Rest up sore legs - they deserve it :)

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    150km so far. I'm doing steady 30 minute 5k's 4 times per week for now.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    my foot is finally starting to feel better, so hopefully another few weeks rehab and I'll start trying some short/gentle runs to get me back on track. I still want to try and do 750 miles this year if I can! 
  • I am making a comeback after a 15yr break.
    I hope to do some canicross with my dog, so runs up to 10know for now.
    First shock of the comeback. No New Balance 854s any more.
    What do I use?