Cheap stage boxes/snakes

What's Hot
ash96ash96 Frets: 61
edited February 2018 in Live
I'm looking to potentially get a cable snake/stage box for my functions band. Probably only need it to have 6/8 XLRs and a couple of jacks I reckon. Would just save a ton of messy cables for us.

There's one 8/4 one on studio spares for just under £100, was just checking to see if there was anything cheaper than that before I take the plunge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    We have the Pulse one Danny links to above and its been fine.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    The thing with Multicore cables and stage boxes is that the conductors are typically thin to get all the wires into a multipin connector. In addition a big lump of a stage box on the end and a big multipin or a length of XLR tails is unwieldy. People get lazy and misstreat them, you only need a couple of the cores to break and quickly the multicore no longer does what it should.
    Devize a method to wrap, store, carry and unwrap this vulnerable cable to get long term reliability. The big boys used to have a trunk and 'figure of 8' layer the cable in/out to reduce the stresses. Smaller cables go nicely and a garden hose real. Modern digi boxes overcome this expensive problem for concert rigs and are even available at more realistic prices if the number of chanels warrents the expenditure.
    Anyway, many of the cheap multicores are not that hardy but with careful handling and treatment can give long reliable service.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

Buy cheap buy twice.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    jpfamps said:

Buy cheap buy twice.
    I agree, but if it's for occasional use in a band that might not last ...blaa blaa then cheap might just work. Otherwise these days the digital box solution is the way to go.
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Basically we're not even sure we need one. its just for a functions band that 9 time out of 10, we just XLR straight into the desk, but I was thinking it might be nice (and neater on stage) to try having the desk on the side of the stage rather than the back, and then running a box over to the otherside for drums, Bass DI and BV's etc.

So dont wanna spend tons to find its more work than before.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Check out Thomann's TheBox range - they have dozens of options.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'd recommend it even for small function band setups. Whenever I do one that's a little side-of-stage mix job like that, I'll usually throw an 8 way or 12 way drop by the drums for all the backline stuff and another one downstage centre for all the vocals and it tidies your stage right up instantly. You can use shorter cables for everything and there's no spaghetti junction nonsense. Setup and derig are much faster and easier that way too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PM'd