The next les paul(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    The multi-ply is pvc on this one.  Outer layer is celluloid so the joins in that are easy to hide with acetone/binding gloop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    I'm glad you've got more done so I can see your progress because I really want to get stuck into one of these myself
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    some 5-ply scracthplate material turned up today so i decided to make a template and cut my own guard.

It went really well, i was dead chuffed with it

then i realised I am making a right handed guitar, so i made another

sadly i got a small chip on this one, probably because i was laughing at myself the whole time i was making it.   It was going to be reliced anyway, so i may keep it, or make another, still undecided but it was clearly time to put the tools down

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The back has been rebound after my previous experiments with roundovers, it will now keep the square edges

And the necks are bound and veneered

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    WezV said:
    some 5-ply scracthplate material turned up today so i decided to make a template and cut my own guard.

It went really well, i was dead chuffed with it

then i realised I am making a right handed guitar, so i made another

lol, I (lefty) wondered why it looked ok to me ... unfortunately I don't have a Les Paul so there'd be no point in my buying it off you. 

Well if you ever happen to get hold of a lefty les Paul custom with P90’s, and the guard happens to be missing, you know where I am. ;)
    I’m currently considering inlay options.

I think I actually want to put dots on both.  Gold pearl for the burst and white pearl for the custom.

I like dots.  I have some aged looking plastic traps but I just can’t bring myself to bother with them when I could just have dots instead ;)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader

Yeah sometimes dots are the best way to go..  On my last build (the neckthrough one) when I did the mock ups, traps or blocks just seemed to make it look too busy, too much going on with the contrasting wood and all that...

But I did mine slightly differently last time. I used the side dot material to put on top and below the larger centre dot just to add some tiny extra detail.

https://i.imgur.com/P7FwPuo.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I  am not after anything too unusual... but I did consider double dots at the 5th on the custom.

i think I still have some 5mm pearl squares somewhere too 
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader

I cant remember where I saw it off hand..  But one way I have seen which I want to try one day is using small blocks and putting them right at the top of the board so they become the side markers too.. 

it is something I have done on other guitars... not for this though, although top edge inlays would add a nice amount of gretschiness 

tFB Trader
    Yeah. That's the sort of thing.. But the one I have in my head they used squares and it goes down the fret another few mm to make it a bit more prominent..  It may have been on a Crimson guitar.. I will see if I can find it, I seem to remember it looking pretty cool.
    Ah, forget crimson.  I was doing it years ago ;)

i think @ttony and @drbob both have necks I did it on 
    tFB Trader

That, I can totally believe looking at your work  :)

what, the randomness of it?

looking at Tony's, i took the pearl inlays to the edge, but added dots underneath

With Rob's, i did them deeper.    aluminium bar for most, but red harvite  for 12th.   I have loads of old poker chips i use for authentic fender style clay inlays, but obviously the red and blue chips don;t work for that

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    what, the randomness of it?

No, I think that's normal :)  Its everyone else who is weird...

Nice work though.. It just adds some interesting detail and I think people who buy custom stuff want that or theyd just go and buy it in a shop  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    looks like i have not done an update in a while

Just got the frets in, now its clean up, tweak and just make sure i am totally happy before the necks get glued in and we move onto finishing.  boards are still a bit messy but i couldn't resist a pic

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Looking very good indeed.
    tFB Trader
    Yeah they are both nice... The multi ply binding really looks the business..  :)
    necks on the first one.  Everything lines up fine.  I am thinking a wraparound for this, but not the lightning bar shown here.   Most likely going to be a darkburst

I did end up sticking a bit of caul to the body when gluing the neck in