Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do I really need a nice OM?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RJT said:

You really need to try some OMs out (do you have a decent acoustic guitar shop anywhere near?) and see what floats your boat.

Cheers for the insights @RJT, just got note courrier is holding the parcel for pickup with new OM inside. 

I did spend an hour or so at Knighton Music Centre and played a few different smaller bodied guitars. The 'best guitar we have' was this lovely Atkin. I did spend about 10-15 minutes with it and it was everything I've come to like in an acoustic guitar, easy to play, feather light with loads of resonance against my body to play off of. Unfortunately about twice what I could spend and none of the other options I tried, Larivee or Lowden came close to matching the enjoyment of the Atkin. Curiously, my other favorite guitar on the day was a Walden B1 Baritone.

Budget obviously restricted what I could go for in the end, and although I would love to own something like an Atkin, Collings, or SC it's not going to happen realistically. I did have a Martin I was interested in but I'm not keen on drilling guitars and ended up going for an option that has a similar pre-drilled arrangement as the Taylors.

I'll pick it up later this afternoon, let it sit in box and case overnight and report back once I've had the opportunity to play it. It's had a long multi day cross european journey so don't want to risk the temperature shock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I'll pick it up later this afternoon, let it sit in box and case overnight and report back once I've had the opportunity to play it. It's had a long multi day cross european journey so don't want to risk the temperature shock.

That almost certainly wasn't caused by opening the case.

• I'll pick it up later this afternoon, let it sit in box and case overnight and report back once I've had the opportunity to play it. It's had a long multi day cross european journey so don't want to risk the temperature shock.

What would have caused it then @olafgarten. Was under the impression you shouldn't subject nitro coated guitars to sudden/sharp temperature changes

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited February 2018

I'll pick it up later this afternoon, let it sit in box and case overnight and report back once I've had the opportunity to play it. It's had a long multi day cross european journey so don't want to risk the temperature shock.

What would have caused it then @olafgarten. Was under the impression you shouldn't subject nitro coated guitars to sudden/sharp temperature changes

I think that gets discussed on US forums a lot because there can be crazy wide variations in temperature and humidity from where a guitar is sent from and where it ends up. It's not something I've personally ever worried about for guitars stored and shipped within the UK. But do what you're comfortable with obviously.

Edit: just seen it's come across Europe so theoretically it may have experienced some wide swings...

It would’ve been caused by a temperature or humidity change, but keeping the case closed won’t really affect that. The cases aren’t airtight and the issue would most likely be caused in transit.
  • RJTRJT Frets: 1
    I'm not sure if I missed it, but what guitar did you get in the end?
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    RJT said:
    None of us know. But apparently its cracking :)
  • jellyroll said:
    RJT said:
    None of us know. But apparently its cracking :)
    Just posted a NGD @RJT and @jellyroll :)

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Love my Larrivee OM. 

I was thinking about getting another smaller guitar like a GAS Mini. Not in the Dana league at all however.. I see they're £600 now!? My OM was only £750! Silly prices.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    crunchman said:

I've put the dread in DADGAD and now I'm thinking of justifying it by having one guitar in each tuning ;) sounds legit no?

Isn't that the default position for most on this forum?
    definitely
    I have several tunings - some would be a massive compromise without dedicated gauges, and switching backwards and forwards is a right pain

Also some tunings favour playing a mixture of open and high fretted notes, and some guitars are better at that
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    OM all the way! 
    Dreadnought far too big and loud.. for me.
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 35
    edited March 2018

If you only have one acoustic I would say you definitely need another acoustic for different tuning don't you? that's my excuse anyway  OM/000's are a lovely comfortable sized guitar that many say is an ideal all rounder.

Phil

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    So one year on and the saga continues, but I think it's finally over.

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    I had a Martin OOO mahogany for a while. It was lovely to look at, but felt really "weak" to play. Almost felt like a delicate little toy. I tried gigging it a few times, but it just didn't have the poke.
    I sold it and got a Martin DC-15ME, which after a really good setup is fantastic. I wouldn't mind if it was a non cutaway, but a bit nervous to sell it, in case the replacement is a dud!

I would like an OM or OOO guitar though, but can't justify the cost! Thinking of a big baby taylor or something along those lines....
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    edited April 2019
    Here we go: