Partscaster 'Build' Olympic White with maple SMO-FAT Allparts neck

What's Hot
Hi all, this the the first thread I've started. I've been reading here for a while.

I'm 'building' a Stratolike from various bits I've bought- Have to say I had no idea the variety of other suppliers around so perhaps depending on how this goes together I may swap/upgrade. It's the first guitar I've built so it's a learning curve.

I'm going for Olympic white nitro with a maple neck with the skunk stripe, I've got the following:

Neck: Allparts SMO-FAT
Body: Guitarbuild Alder SSS 60's strat
Bridge: Fender classic style tremolo with the bent saddles
Tuners: Gotoh Nickel Classic style slotted
Pickups: Tonerider Surfari

The usual CTS/CRL/Orange Drop/Cloth wire electronic stuff. I'm doing neck inserts and all metal hardware is Nickel rather than chrome.

I've completed the Electrics:
https://i.imgur.com/STKYVYH.jpg?1

The black ground wires were combined and heat shrink applied (hardly vintage I know, but I wanted to leave them standard length in case I ever sell/reuse the pickups)

The body has been sprayed with the nitro (just awaiting gloss finish, curing and buffing)

The neck was originally sprayed (by me) in vintage/honey amber nitro, but I stupidly put a fender logo on, in removing it the nozzle of the rattle can wasn't clean so when I went to re-finish the head it came out looking terrible, so it's all been stripped for 'take 2'

Sorry for the long rambling start!

Thanks for reading.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool. Looks like its coming along
  • Thanks, hopefully have some less wordy and more picture-y posts soon!
  • Quick dry mockup after the body is painted. waiting for it to cure so I can sand and buff. The neck will get some more coats of amber to darken it a little. Probably only glossing the headstock as I don't like the "squeaky/Sticky" finish and I'm OK with the nitro wearing. May use some oil to give some protection.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looking cool!
  • That looks good :). I'm a great fan of Tonerider pickups too.
  • Looks great!  I love a mint scratchplate on white.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • Looks great!  I love a mint scratchplate on white.
    Thanks! Yeah I went for the Fender mint one as I'd heard some horror stories about some mint scratchplates being super neon and garish. 

Just waiting for the body to cure now so I can get it sanded, buffed and built. I've got the perfect size transfer punch to get the neck holes aligned right. Hopefully get the neck finished and decal applied this weekend.
    That looks good :). I'm a great fan of Tonerider pickups too.
    Thanks a lot! Yeah I listened to lots of samples and they sounded like what I wanted to achieve and also good value. I've heard really good things about Oil City and want to use them in another guitar. (I'm planning an OTM Tele shaped object at some stage)

Thanks for the kind words.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A maple neck Strat needs a single ply scratch plate, IMO would look nicer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks very classy. 
  • Looks great man! Word of warning with the Allparts FAT necks - they’re relatively deep so don’t be afraid to shim it so that your bridge saddles aren’t really high up!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks great man! Word of warning with the Allparts FAT necks - they’re relatively deep so don’t be afraid to shim it so that your bridge saddles aren’t really high up!!
    Ah great, thanks a lot! it's my first build, I'm learning as I go!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Looks great man! Word of warning with the Allparts FAT necks - they’re relatively deep so don’t be afraid to shim it so that your bridge saddles aren’t really high up!!
    But I thought that the standard thickness for a Fender neck was always 25mm from the underside of the heel to the highest point of the Fretboard ?
    The difference with the Allparts FAT and other chunky necks is that they don’t reduce the thickness along the necks profile so the centreline at the back describes a straight line between the back of the Headstock and the heel.
    That would make much more sense with a diagram.....
  • DrBob said:
    Looks great man! Word of warning with the Allparts FAT necks - they’re relatively deep so don’t be afraid to shim it so that your bridge saddles aren’t really high up!!
    But I thought that the standard thickness for a Fender neck was always 25mm from the underside of the heel to the highest point of the Fretboard ?
    The difference with the Allparts FAT and other chunky necks is that they don’t reduce the thickness along the necks profile so the centreline at the back describes a straight line between the back of the Headstock and the heel.
    That would make much more sense with a diagram.....
    I thought so too but a decent shim was needed for my build with a TMO FAT and guitarbuild body. Will measure it if I get chance...
  • Been relatively slow progress lately as I was giving the nitro a couple of weeks to cure.

Got it mostly sanded and buffed. It's not bad for a first go with rattle cans, definitely a useful learning experience.

Scratch plate and electronics just placed in as a mock up. Cavities are all shielded now, and I've soldered a wire between the jack cavity and the main.

Also got the head-stock decal on.

Fixed Leo's mistake because it's not a tremolo.  ;) Will get a few coats of gloss on this weekend when I'm back from working away.

Thanks for reading
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    Nice work - have a Wow!
  • @AustrianJohn thanks!  :)
  • stephen.wood125stephen.wood125 Frets: 217
    edited April 2018
    Got the Guitar finished this week, including a very minor fret dress, polishing, set up and intonation...

Some pics of the final item:
    https://i.imgur.com/jN5lIqr.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/a55Oi9X.jpg?1

Width of the SMO-FAT neck against my SRV Signature Strat
    https://imgur.com/Q3vJ5VR

EDIT: OK so every time I try to post images it seems to need a totally random combination of which link I use in Imgur, and which method (insert picture or link) I need to use.