Bonamassa thinks you’re lazy.

What's Hot

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Not bothering to learn anything other than the pentatonic scale is even more lazy, Joe. Know what I mean? ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    Not bothering to learn anything other than the pentatonic scale is even more lazy, Joe. Know what I mean? ;-)
    I'm pretty sure he's dabbled either the blues scale as well.......
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    I mean, wearing sunglasses indoors is pretty lazy too. As is copping all Eric Johnson’s licks. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    I'd respond to him, but I'd have to get off the sofa and just CBA.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Lazy is a man with only two signature snow globes in his shop.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Think we may have had this thread before. Everyone that doesn’t like Bonamassa jumps in and says he only plays ‘the blues’ (which he doesn’t) and he’s an idiot because he endorses stuff. He’s out-spoken, arrogant and deliberately winds people up. Just like 90% of rock stars. Comes with the territory. Still, at least he can actually play, eh?
    Actually this thread was started before the one that was really popular, but this is now somehow being read again.  
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    AlexC said:
    Think we may have had this thread before. Everyone that doesn’t like Bonamassa jumps in and says he only plays ‘the blues’ (which he doesn’t) and he’s an idiot because he endorses stuff. He’s out-spoken, arrogant and deliberately winds people up. Just like 90% of rock stars. Comes with the territory. Still, at least he can actually play, eh?
    For a rock star, he dresses a lot like a rich guy at a smart-casual garden party 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    I may have said this elsewhere, but he's a total bell-end. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    He's right though. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm always amused when the Bonomassa haters come out. He's not my favourite player, but how you you deny the skills?

The 'it's just pentatonics' arguments etc are nonsense. Playing like that may not be your favourite style, but it's clearly not easy. Literally thousands of hours have gone into honing it.

Shred metal is not my favourite genre at all - I never listen to it,  but Id never call the players 'shit'. Clearly they have crazy skills, it's just not in my wheel house personally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    antifash said:
    Actually this thread was started before the one that was really popular, but this is now somehow being read again.  
    It's cause you posted in the Technique subforum, you want a thread to be in guitar or FX to be read widely, which proves JB's point.  =)
  • I'm always amused when the Bonomassa haters come out. He's not my favourite player, but how you you deny the skills?

The 'it's just pentatonics' arguments etc are nonsense. Playing like that may not be your favourite style, but it's clearly not easy. Literally thousands of hours have gone into honing it.

Shred metal is not my favourite genre at all - I never listen to it,  but Id never call the players 'shit'. Clearly they have crazy skills, it's just not in my wheel house personally.
    Because JoBo comes out with crap like that from time to time, endorses a huge spectrum of product, is held up to be the shining light of guitar playing but generally trots out same old same old blues licks. He is a hype machine.

He's a good player, but the baggage he comes with puts a lot of people off. I'd much rather listen to guys like Josh Smith and Ariel Posen who seem to approach guitar playing with a lot more humility that JoBo.

That FX comment from JoBo is just nonsense. Using FX well is as much an art as playing a sweet blues lick.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm always amused when the Bonomassa haters come out. He's not my favourite player, but how you you deny the skills?

Because JoBo comes out with crap like that from time to time, endorses a huge spectrum of product, is held up to be the shining light of guitar playing but generally trots out same old same old blues licks. He is a hype machine.

He's a good player, but the baggage he comes with puts a lot of people off. I'd much rather listen to guys like Josh Smith and Ariel Posen who seem to approach guitar playing with a lot more humility that JoBo.

That FX comment from JoBo is just nonsense. Using FX well is as much an art as playing a sweet blues lick.
    The problem is too many people overly focus on the gear and don't do the work and still think they are the real deal.
    I don't listen to a lot of JoBo but it is obvious he is a great player.

The gear endorsement stuff- that is going to be handled by managers and the business around him- it literally has nothing to do with his day to day- that is how endorsements work.

You can judge the guy for it, sure- but most musicians would kill for that sort of exposure and I don't blame a guy for making a living however they can to do music.
    Being a touring musician is an expensive business and record sales don't sustain you- you have to keep the machine running somehow.

Agreed on the Josh Smith count. As I've said, I'm not the biggest fan of JOBO's music, but I respect him a lot. 

My beef is with the idea that ripping bluesy pentatonic lines is easy or not valid. It's actually really hard tbh and anyone that has tried to play in that style will know that. His technique and skill is beyond question.

On the other hand, the use of effects creatively is definitely an art.
    I think his point was a critique of players who hide behind effects to mask poor playing, rather than the use of FX themselves.
    In fact, i think Bonomassa posted on Instagram to clarify this point after the interview was published.

As for the hype machine... well it's show business. It offends some people, but I don't give a monkeys. The jokes about the merch/endorsements I get - they are funny, 'co that's how he rolls. 

You mentioned Josh Smith - he got a slating on here recently (before the UK tour) for posting on TGP about how hard it is to make a living as a player.

He regularly plays sessions, tours with top acts etc and still struggles despite being absolutely phenomenal. Fair play to JOBO for making it work.  

as the youth say 'Keep grinding' lol

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368

Shred metal is not my favourite genre at all - I never listen to it,  but Id never call the players 'shit'. 
    JB is just shred blues. A skilled or learnéd player is not the same as a good or interesting one. Case in point- John Mayer (always sounds like he's covering Wind Cries Mary) versus someone like Gary Clark jr or DBII (who know it sounds good when you let a pedal do the work sometimes). 
  • bbill335 said:

Shred metal is not my favourite genre at all - I never listen to it,  but Id never call the players 'shit'. 
    JB is just shred blues. A skilled or learnéd player is not the same as a good or interesting one. Case in point- John Mayer (always sounds like he's covering Wind Cries Mary) versus someone like Gary Clark jr or DBII (who know it sounds good when you let a pedal do the work sometimes). 
    I far prefer both GCJ and DB2 to JOBO, but that isn't the point.

John Mayer 'always sounds like he's covering Wind Cries Mary'? is a laughable comment. Not really my bag, but what about his pre continuum pop hits? What about the more 80's soul influenced stuff? pretty diverse range of material, no?

It's personal opinion at the end of the day. We all have our preferences, but ill conceived blanket comments like this really make me chuckle. 

I feel a bit sad for starting this thread now.

If you’re interested, Way Huge posted this pic of JB’s current pedalboard. 
    https://instagram.com/p/Bfgaqv0nNOE/
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Hhhmmm is Overrated Special his signature pedal, probably should be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom