Rexter Guitars - custom painting, restoration & refinishing

What's Hot

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    What wood and weight is the LPB tele body?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    @Chalky ; - it's Alder, 2 piece and 2.2kg. So a little more heft to it then the SHoreline Gold body which is also 2 piece alder but 1.9KG.

I can't post links to my Reverb.com sales can I? More pics and details there... It's developing some really nice horizontal checking as I keep moving it from a very warm room to the shed. I don't like the compressed air can approach, doesn't look right to me. Looking forward to the supposed 'arctic' temps tonight... very hard to capture it in a picture though, especially out of natural light.

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Just sending off this neck to a customer - an Allparts SRO-21 with a delicious light vintage tint and Gotoh SD91s, by far the best tuners for vintage looks and rock-solid reliability. Love 'em!

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 168
    Great choice of tuners, thats what I'd be going for !

edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    Stealing these pictures from my friend over at offsetguitars.com who has reassembled his '64 Jazzmaster that I refinished in a light Candy Apple Red (Firemist Gold basecoat). Lovely looking guitar...

I love ridding vintage guitars of horrible refins and giving them the finish they deserve, drop me a message if I can help you!

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Busy Sunday...

And finished this basket case strat refin... well not exactly basket case, but it was a bit of a state when it came to me. Had to rebuild the horns pretty much as had been stripped with heat and a metal scraper and already had a tonne of battle scars. Now it's a cheap guitar with a very expensive looking paint job! Think the owner is going to be very happy.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    This Firemist Gold tele body was one of the first jobs I completed after getting properly setup last spring. It's new owner (Joe from the awesome band Wolf People) just finished assembling it as a pretty lovely Esquire and posted a few pics on Offsetguitars (I think 99% percent of members are also closet Tele fans). This has got to be one of my favourite colours for a Telecaster, especially when it's darkened a little to a coppery tone like I did for this one. Firemist Gold 60s-style Tele is definitely near the top of my "Build one for myself" list...

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Been working on this beauty for @Flametop ... lightweight 2-piece alder body and a delicious Ice Blue Metallic finish. Should get final clearcoats on tomorrow or later in the week. 

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • I have a project I would like you to give me a price on please.....how do I contact you?    Bill      It's a 2008 Fender Ash, already routed but totally blank and unfinished / unstarted. It's a genuine factory Fender but a reject by them due to some wormwood holes.     Ideally mebe a Brucie (Springsteen) finish on it....regards    Bill
  • Beautiful stuff there @rexter ;, bravo!
    tFB Trader
    I have a project I would like you to give me a price on please.....how do I contact you?    Bill      It's a 2008 Fender Ash, already routed but totally blank and unfinished / unstarted. It's a genuine factory Fender but a reject by them due to some wormwood holes.     Ideally mebe a Brucie (Springsteen) finish on it....regards    Bill
    Hey Bill super busy at the moment but could do you a lovely butterscotch, starting a couple of blonde Teles soon. Have dropped you a PM
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Been madly busy lately and not made it out to my workshop much at all, but did manage to get this lovely lightly aged Inca Silver body ready to send to @rze99 last weekend. A little bit of tint really makes this colour a lot more exciting I think.

Another busy few days of sanding and buffing this weekend (including your IBM strat @Flametop !!) before starting a big batch of refins and custom orders. Excited about the next lot of orders - it features a Shoreline Gold Jag, LPB Jag, JM & tele. LPB over sunburst Strat, Blonde Tele, aged Firemist Silver JM... lots of cool commissions. A lot of LPB this time... 

At capacity until late March/early April by the looks of it. Wish I hadn't sliced my trigger finger wide open with a razor blade as soon as I got to the workshop this morning! 

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • Great to hear that you’re busy! Very excited to get the body and neck now. 
    tFB Trader
    Flametop said:
    Great to hear that you’re busy! Very excited to get the body and neck now. 
    Productive day today, and even some gorgeous sunshine to take some nice pics of your body! All done now apart from the fretwork on the neck. Looks damn nice...

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Pretty much finished up the Shergold bass body too. The orange came out nicely in the end!

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • That relic blue tele looks amazing. Do you still have it?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    That relic blue tele looks amazing. Do you still have it?
    Thanks, yeah that one came out nicely! Sold on eBay last month. Can do another one for you if you want to send me a message sometime. Have a massive run of LPB jobs coming up so one more wouldn't be a problem!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • Just beautiful work.. :o
    tFB Trader
    12 hour day of prepping and sealing today and still more to do. Good to have a lot of Jazzmaster and Jaguar bodies and refins in my next batch of orders... These ones are just hanging getting to the right temperature pre-sealer earlier today.

And if anyone is curious to see what's under the old Fender AVRI 'nitro' finish:

It's a 1-2mm thick layer of poly sealer - common knowledge now I guess, but still interesting to experience firsthand. It pretty much just lifted off this JM with a gentle heat. Far easier than using stripper in this case.

not long later:

No major prejudice against such sealer-primer layers - they are actually a real dream to paint over - but the guitar has shed a few MM and a fair few grammes since this afternoon!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    The amount of “nitro” finishes I have stripped which are nothing more than plastic nonsense is incredible.

People genuinely believe they’re getting the real thing because that’s what the spec sheet said. False advertising much?!